Senior Nationals (US Olympic Trials Qualifier) - Dec. 15-17

SocraTease

I wrestled with a former HS wrestler yesterday, he showed up to BJJ practice looking to prepare for Senior Nationals (65kg). Lol we did live takedowns for about an hour (he got 0). He's like, man you're great, you could challenge Burroughs you think? .... I was like, I'm 39, overweight, and had 4 beers before I came up here. He says you think you'd make the finals in Fort Worth? I again let him know, I wouldn't score a single point. He said, well if I can't beat you, do you think I have a shot at top 3? I was like, whatever happens, enjoy the experience.

He just didn't understand the skill level of our best. But just checked the entrants and he really signed up

• Fire 5

19 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

I wrestled with a former HS wrestler yesterday, he showed up to BJJ practice looking to prepare for Senior Nationals (65kg). Lol we did live takedowns for about an hour (he got 0). He's like, man you're great, you could challenge Burroughs you think? .... I was like, I'm 39, overweight, and had 4 beers before I came up here. He says you think you'd make the finals in Fort Worth? I again let him know, I wouldn't score a single point. He said, well if I can't beat you, do you think I have a shot at top 3? I was like, whatever happens, enjoy the experience.

He just didn't understand the skill level of our best. But just checked the entrants and he really signed up

Maybe you weren't drinking enough beers beforehand?

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 hours ago, Spladle08 said:

You might want to show him a video on the Dunning-Kruger effect.  If that doesn't work, be sure to videotape the match so that those of us who appreciate the occasional  dose of Schadenfreude can watch.

• Fire 2

3 hours ago, Spladle08 said:

Here's a preview of the match:

1 hour ago, Spladle08 said:

I would be life . He has at least 1 sub-20second match .

But I'd be scores a single point. I'm entering next year

You have weight to lose, bud, don't you?  Weight classes exist for a reason.  I competed at 134 because even if I was able to train with Joe up at 158 there was no way in hell I was going to be able to wrestle those animals night-in, night-out and not come away with some serious injuries.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

You have weight to lose, bud, don't you?  Weight classes exist for a reason.  I competed at 134 because even if I was able to train with Joe up at 158 there was no way in hell I was going to be able to wrestle those animals night-in, night-out and not come away with some serious injuries.
If I was going to embarrass myself it'd be at 70kg .
It'd be the most reasonable unreasonable way to go out .

I weighed 189.7 this morning. Ran 3 miles at 9min/mile pace and never lift heavy . I'm old and it's real .
But if somebody offered me $147.65 to put on a singlet and embarrass myself at the Senior level for the enjoyment of the forums. I'd do it at 70kg.

5 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

If I was going to embarrass myself it'd be at 70kg .
It'd be the most reasonable unreasonable way to go out .

I weighed 189.7 this morning. Ran 3 miles at 9min/mile pace and never lift heavy . I'm old and it's real .
But if somebody offered me $147.65 to put on a singlet and embarrass myself at the Senior level for the enjoyment of the forums. I'd do it at 70kg.

74 KG it is then, bud.

No 70 KG as Senior Nationals this year.  Only olympic weights.

• Fire 1

Just now, Spladle08 said:

Thats just that. Just a guy doing what he knows, he's not a future rep.

Light guy going up to Heavy has potential
Heavy guy going down to light.... Good for that guy ..

Rumor that Kerkvliet was also considering it as well, I believe.

• Fire 1