Cy-Hawk Thread

20 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

To be fair Gaitan did come close to turning him.  Gaitan getting a turn there probably a similar chance as another TD given the little time left

I think the issue is that Dresser thought Gaitan had the RT point, so they told him to finish the ride.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I think the issue is that Dresser thought Gaitan had the RT point, so they told him to finish the ride.

I missed that... but I believe ya.

How is that mistake possible across the head coach, assistant coach, and Gaitan... considering how the match had gone... and the viewable time clock... and Dresser is paid $300K+ annually?  ...and Dresser not challenging so many situations...  

3 minutes ago, jross said:

In live wrestling and with between-period position selection, what is your opinion on the wrestler making their own decision versus following the coach's instruction?

Captain of your own ship or fall in line?

It depends. If you're an underclassman or haven't been watching tape (or the scoreboard and RT clock) and in a tight match, better to fall in line. If you're experienced and have a good feel for your opponent in-match, captain. Some coaches will also trust their wreslers to make the best choice. PSU seems to do this a lot.

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I don’t think Echemendia had the TD.

End of Chittum was reviewed.

What other situation would’ve made a difference to challenge?

I think he may well have, but even if Echemendia didn’t, it was close enough that challenging would have given him a much needed breather and a much better chance in overtime.

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

I think he may well have, but even if Echemendia didn’t, it was close enough that challenging would have given him a much needed breather and a much better chance in overtime.

Maybe. And I was surprised he didn’t challenge and probably would have if I was him.  Just don’t think it “lost them the dual”

4 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Ech wasn't gassed and it would have given them both a breather...

I’d like to know what you have to back this up other than just feeling like disagreeing.

Ech is a classic gasser, and had just run down a bear hug fir 30 seconds at the end if the match against the #1 guy.  After holding Woods’ offense at bay all match then getting run over.

JB called him out as looking very gassed on the broadcast just before overtime. Does JB also not know when someone is and isn’t gassed?

23 minutes ago, jross said:

I missed that... but I believe ya.

How is that mistake possible across the head coach, assistant coach, and Gaitan... considering how the match had gone... and the viewable time clock... and Dresser is paid $300K+ annually?  ...and Dresser not challenging so many situations...  

Happens in the NFL too. A lot of head coaches will hire someone whose sole responibility is clock management because in the moment it is too hard for the head coach. Of course, wrestling coaches are not calling plays, so there is that.

31 minutes ago, jross said:

In live wrestling and with between-period position selection, what is your opinion on the wrestler making their own decision versus following the coach's instruction?

Captain of your own ship or fall in line?

I have no issue with wrestlers making their own decisions, but if you have a coach yelling to hold him down your instinct will be to listen to the coach. You may be confused by the instruction, but you will probably follow it for at least 10 or 15 seconds before (if even) you realize they are wrong.

25 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I don’t think Echemendia had the TD.

Would you care had the referee called a TD?  

• Art. 12. Reaction Time. The amount of time a wrestler is provided by the referee to react to individual scoring or wrestling situations. Reaction time is provided in all situations except for locked hands calls down on the mat. Reaction time is determined by each individual referee and is described only as a period that is not instantaneous https://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/WR24.pdf

28 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Ech wasn't gassed and it would have given them both a breather...

IMO.  Both wrestlers were gassed, and Ech nearly exhausted his on that last move... looked make or break to me.  The match was over after the no-call.

They were not sputtering like PK but on fumes.

Edited by jross
sputting
  • Fire 1