Maine shooting

WrestlingRasta

47 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

And yet, just like on here, time and effort is wasted arguing back and forth about AR's because they look scary and yet no time and effort is spent on addressing mental health issues and all the associated gun ownership legislation.  Typical emotional responses...."blame the AR!!!!"  "It's a weapon of war!!!"   And people sure love to argue semantics as well as claim people say things and mean things they didn't say.

Between this post, and the previous post of yours that I quoted, I counted 16 posts that discussed mental health and/or red flags (which address mental health). Along the way, I didn’t go back to count these, but there were several posts that did not mention an AR at all, let alone bicker about them.  That’s not to say no one has mentioned an AR, obviously. 

So my sincere question to you is…..what the hell are you reading?

4 minutes ago, jross said:

Would this work?

Folks have been creating and reloading ammo at home for years... we've also got folks 3d printing guns at home now...

Yes, this is a deal, except that this is not mainstream i don't think.   I used to reload shotgun back in the day.    It takes a lot of time and pays off in money if you reload a lot.   I don't think it is really that cheap if you count your time.  

mspart

I think she is thinking of a bazooka or grenade or mortar.   Talk about a moron.   AR-15 shoots a 0.223 inch diameter bullet.   I'm thinking a deer is quite a bit bigger than that.  Heck I shot a deer with a 12 gage slug (0.729 inch diameter) in MN on a farm and we had plenty of meat leftover. 

mspart

Edited by mspart
  • Fire 2

Does the Second Amendment protect citizens' right to bear arms for self-defense?  

• Yes, read the history documented in these BRIEFs OF AMICUS CURIAE CENTER

Key points

• Self-defense is long recognized:
    • Aristotle stated that “arms bearing” was an essential aspect of each citizen’s proper role (300 BC)
    • On the Law of War and Peace by Hugo Grotius (1625)
      • It has already been proved that when our lives are threatened with immediate danger, it is lawful to kill the aggressor if the danger cannot otherwise be avoided: an instance, as it has been shown, on which the justice of private war rests. We must observe that this kind of defense originates from the principle of self-preservation, which nature has given to every living creature, and not from the injustice or misconduct of the aggressor. Wherefore though he may be clear of guilt, as, for instance, a soldier in actual service, mistaking my person for that of another, or a madman in his frenzy, or a man walking in his sleep, none of these cases deprive me of the right of self-defense against those persons. For I am not bound to submit to the danger or mischief intended, any more than to expose myself to the attacks of a wild beast.
    • John Locke wrote (1690)
      • For no Man, or Society of Men, having a Power to deliver up their Preservation, or consequently the means of it, to the Absolute Will and arbitrary Dominion of another; whenever any one shall go about to bring them into such a Slavish Condition, they will always have a right to preserve what they have not a Power to part with; and to rid themselves of those who invade this Fundamental, Sacred, and unalterable Law of Self-Preservation, for which they enter'd into Society. And thus the Community may be said in this respect to be always the Supream Power, but not as considered under any Form of Government, because this Power of the People can never take place till the Government be dissolved.
  • The 2nd amendment was ratified in 1791 and based on prior understanding
    • Of the nine state constitutional protections for the right to bear arms enacted immediately after 1789, at least seven unequivocally protected an individual citizen’s right to self-defense. This is strong evidence that the founding generation understood the right to bear arms as part of the fundamental right of self-defense. 
  • In the first published appellate decision on the right to bear arms, Bliss v. Commonwealth (1822), an opinion of the Kentucky Court of Appeals (then the state's highest court), the court invalidated a state statute prohibiting concealed carrying of weapons. The court ruled that this prohibition infringed upon the "right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state.
  • Fire 1

Does the Second Amendment protect citizens' right to hunt animals and shoot for sport?  Neither hunting nor clay pigeon shooting fits with the right to bear arms for self-defense.  The amendment protects self-defense from a bear but does not grant the right to hunt the bear.  Have gun ban advocates challenged the right to ban arms for hunting and sport?

Does the Second Amendment allow for a well-regulated militia to protect security and from government tyranny?   (yes)

Given that it is (assumed) unrealistic to protect oneself from government tyranny, explain the Bundy Standoff outcome.

Does the US citizen need to be concerned about other countries (with guns) invading the US country? 

If nobody had a gun in the US, why would one need to bear arms to protect oneself?

9 minutes ago, jross said:

Does the Second Amendment protect citizens' right to hunt animals and shoot for sport?  Neither hunting nor clay pigeon shooting fits with the right to bear arms for self-defense.  The amendment protects self-defense from a bear but does not grant the right to hunt the bear.  Have gun ban advocates challenged the right to ban arms for hunting and sport?

Probably not as most people aren't interested in banning guns.  OTH, it only takes one and it would be a very consequential lawsuit.

1 hour ago, jross said:

Would this work?

Folks have been creating and reloading ammo at home for years... we've also got folks 3d printing guns at home now...

They gotta buy stuff, caps, primers etc. I talked to an FBI guy ~15 yr ago when rfid tech available.  Now so much easier to track the stuff, would show who is stock piling etc.

45 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

such a shame. 

what is it about this country that makes these things more frequent than anywhere else on the globe? 

We are living in some very strange  (SAD ) times.  The amount of hate and anger mixed some the highest severe mental illness IN THE WORLD might be one of the contributing factors. My son who is an officer in the military just had one of his soldiers commit suicide. He was young with a wife and two young children.  He had suffered an injury that may have ended his career and he was struggling with that. So many questions . Not many answers.

• Fire 2