How many rounds of voting will it take to elect Jim Jordan Speaker of the House?

How many rounds of voting will it take to elect Jim Jordan Speaker of the House?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. How many rounds of voting will it take to elect Jim Jordan Speaker of the House?

• More than 1, but less than McCarthy
    • McCarthy
    • More than McCarthy
    • Jordan will not be elected Speaker of the House

9 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Total so far is 13 votes for someone other then Jordan (5 for McCarthy, 4, for Scalise, 3 for Zeldin, 1 for Garcia), 1 absent, 4 did not vote.

Sounds like Jeffries will get more than anyone else this round.  Can't believe there aren't 7 Republicans with the cajones to do what is right and vote for Jeffries.

11 minutes ago, mspart said:

The Rs have a majority, but a very slim one.  It doesn't take many to mess up a speaker vote.   As we have seen.   I wonder how many speaker votes have ended with some dissent from the caucus other than this session of Congress.   Did Pelosi ever receive a no vote from a D in all her years as speaker?   Did Hastert?  Did anyone else?

mspart

It is rarely unanimous, but it is also rare that a second vote is needed no matter the size of the majority. Pelosi's last election to Speaker, when Democrats held a similarly slim majority, there were two votes for others.

" Multiple roll calls have been necessary only 15 times since 1789; and, at the time, not since 1923 (68th Congress), when a closely divided House needed 9 ballots to elect Frederick H. Gillett speaker"

So McCarthy and now Jordan are unprecedented in the last 100 years.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

27 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Would only require 5, I believe.

depends on no shows and those who don't vote as it is the majority of "votes cast for a person by name." 

Boehner was elected without a membership majority in 2015. He got 216 votes when a majority of members would have been 218.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

58 minutes ago, mspart said:

Are they going to vote again today?   Is Jordan going to put an arm bar on anyone?   1/2 Nelson?   Full Nelson?   Why is it called a Nelson anyway?

mspart

He's currently down on bottom and was part of the Ohio State wrestling program for a time being.  What in the world makes you think he has any chance escaping this with a victory?

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Haha 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

There is a passage by white boy rastas Stick Figure and Slightly Stoopid that I believe are more than fitting for the vote today:

Who wants control, over everything?

If money steals your soul, only trouble it will bring.

It's loving as a whole, the only thing for conquers we.

So let it be told, let the whole world dem sing.

29 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

He's currently down on bottom and was part of the Ohio State wrestling program for a time being.  What in the world makes you think he has any chance escaping this with a victory?

Peterson ... 🤷‍♀️