And we can't get more Olympic weights?

AgaveMaria

24 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Wow... a lot of reaching there.  Change the whole format of the winter games to accommodate a sport that has nothing to do with snow/ice AND add weights!

Hey man... I conceded the argument.

That said... they legitimately just added a bunch of stupid-ass sports simply because they will get US viewership.  If the USOC pushes it, it might get life.

I don't think they will, though.

Unless they want to compete better in the Winter Olympics as far as Golds and total medals.  We haven't finished Top three since 2010 and that was a 3rd place finish as a nation.  2006 we were 2nd and 2002 we were 3rd as well.  Since then we haven't finished Top 3. 

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Hey man... I conceded the argument.

That said... they legitimately just added a bunch of stupid-ass sports simply because they will get US viewership.  If the USOC pushes it, it might get life.

I don't think they will, though.

Unless they want to compete better in the Winter Olympics as far as Golds and total medals.  We haven't finished Top three since 2010 and that was a 3rd place finish as a nation.  2006 we were 2nd and 2002 we were 3rd as well.  Since then we haven't finished Top 3. 

Form the new sports they added for LA 2028...baseball/softball, cricket, flag football, lacrosse and squash... the only legitimate stupid-ass sport, IMO, is flag football. I thought Lacrosse is almost exclusively a US sport, so its inclusion in future Olympics is probably questionable (same with flag football)

There is an argument about having a sport in the Olympics where a Gold Medal is not the ultimate achievement in the sport. Baseball players would rather have a world series ring than a gold medal.

• Fire 1

23 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Form the new sports they added for LA 2028...baseball/softball, cricket, flag football, lacrosse and squash... the only legitimate stupid-ass sport, IMO, is flag football. I thought Lacrosse is almost exclusively a US sport, so its inclusion in future Olympics is probably questionable (same with flag football)

There is an argument about having a sport in the Olympics where a Gold Medal is not the ultimate achievement in the sport. Baseball players would rather have a world series ring than a gold medal.

I feel as if cricket is the #2 most popular sport on earth or thereabouts. 

Lax has had a world championship for a long time, generally held every four years.  It is a super popular sport in Canada, which has birthed some of the sport's greatest stars.  Dozens of nations have participated in worlds, but USA wins almost every year and only five nations have ever medaled (USA, Canada, Australia, England, and the Haudenosaunee Nationals).

I agree with your argument about "ultimate achievements" but that cuts out basketball, soccer, and probably a bunch more.  The IOC doesn't want to do that.

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I feel as if cricket is the #2 most popular sport on earth or thereabouts. 

Lax has had a world championship for a long time, generally held every four years.  It is a super popular sport in Canada, which has birthed some of the sport's greatest stars.  Dozens of nations have participated in worlds, but USA wins almost every year and only five nations have ever medaled (USA, Canada, Australia, England, and the Haudenosaunee Nationals).

I agree with your argument about "ultimate achievements" but that cuts out basketball, soccer, and probably a bunch more.  The IOC doesn't want to do that.

Thanks for the details about LAX.  Pretty much what I thought about the competitive landscape. That sports were not competitive worldwide was one of the reasons that was given for dropping baseball and softball (not true for baseball, seemed to be mostly true for softball) It would cool to see some indigenous nations win an Olympic medal.

Tennis,  and now golf, are the sports that I have heard used as examples where an Olympic medal is not a big deal.

• Fire 1

Adam Tirapelle, ILLINI legend and member of multiple Wrestling Halls of Fame, is either joining the Wrestling-in-the-Winter-Olympics revolution or appears to be persuadable. 

On a separate note, in researching the Pan Am Games for an article, I discovered that they will host Break Dancing as a sport. Additionally, two video games will be "demonstration sports" in Santiago: e-Football and DOTA 2.

We best grab that Winter Olympics pie and start eating before nothing's left!

Flag football will probably get better ratings than wrestling if NFL athletes compete. 

Wrestling could be a winter sport if you somehow combine it with skiing.How about this:

1.  The wrestling mat is on top of a bunch of snow.

2. Wrestle period 1. Scoring occurs as it traditionally has. 

3. Cross country ski around the mat for a bit-you get points for a certain time of skiing. 

4. Wrestle period 2.  

Winner is declared by pin, technical fall on the mat, or technical ski somehow. 

Edited by billyhoyle
  • Haha 1

I would like to see barrel jumping included in the winter Olympics.  Conducted inside a motorcycle ice racing loop going on simultaneously.  Those spiked tires were awesome!

ABC's Wide World of Sports used to have those two great sports and the Super-Stars competition after the Super Bowl and before the baseball season began.

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Lipdrag said:

I would like to see barrel jumping included in the winter Olympics.  Conducted inside a motorcycle ice racing loop going on simultaneously.  Those spiked tires were awesome!

ABC's Wide World of Sports used to have those two great sports and the Super-Stars competition after the Super Bowl and before the baseball season began.

Fantastic idea. Bring on the hurling too.

• Fire 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

8 minutes ago, Lipdrag said:

Irish Hurling!!!!  So brutal that it made football look like tiddlywinks.

They used to show it on WW of S when I was little. Had a chance to go to Ireland as an adult for family vaca and the ONLY thing I wanted was to see hurling at Croke Park. Of course, it was the off season.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Serious questions:

Are folks against Wrestling in the Winter Olympics or just being realistic in the belief that the IOC will always require that sports in the Winter Olympics have some direct link to frozen water? Is there another reason?

I can see folks being originalists. That's how I feel about the Summer Olympics. That seems to be how a lot of people feel about the Summer Games when sports like flag football and break dancing are mentioned. (Haha! I just realized that I called break dancing a "sport"). 

I can see other folks wanting to have Wrestling in the Summer Olympics because that's where the other glamour sports like basketball, track and gymnastics are. 

On a final note, don't forget National Singlet Day on November 1, 2023. 

ILLINIWRESTLING751.jpg

• Fire 1

11 hours ago, Lipdrag said:

I'd rather see barrel racing.

On 10/18/2023 at 8:12 AM, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Wow... a lot of reaching there.  Change the whole format of the winter games to accommodate a sport that has nothing to do with snow/ice AND add weights!

And yet the American wrestling' community is fighting the idea of moving the college version to a one semester (spring) sport and finding a solution for the gap between 197 and 285... crazy, man! Craaaaaa-zyyyyy.

Edited by Tom formerly Tofurky
  • Fire 4

10 hours ago, Tom formerly Tofurky said:

And yet the American wrestling' community is fighting the idea of moving the college version to a one semester (spring) sport and finding a solution for the gap between 197 and 285... crazy, man! Craaaaaa-zyyyyy.

The solution to the gap is to adopt weight classes closer to the international MFS and MGR styles.

In high school the current weight classes at the top are...
- 190lbs (86.2 KG)
- 215lbs (97.5 KG)
- 285lbs (129.2 KG)

Those look pretty close, huh?

Current NCAA weight classes...
- 184lbs (83.5 KG)
- 197lbs (89.4 KG)
- 285lbs (129.2 KG)

Current MFS weights...
- 92 KG (202.8lbs)
- 97 KG (213.8lbs)
- 125 KG (275.6lbs)

Current MGR weights...
- 87 KG (191.2lbs)
- 97 KG (213.8lbs)
- 130 KG (286.6lbs)

One of these is not like the others and it is collegiate wrestling.

A possible hazard of moving Olympic wrestling to the Winter Games is that it could really water down the non-Olympic weights at Worlds. WIth two-year cycles wrestlers are going to want to move into their Olympic weight to qualify for their national team's trials and to qualify the weight class for their country. It feels much more likely that UWW would eliminate the Senior non-Olympic weight classes than the IOC adding more weights to match Worlds.

As a middle-ground solution, why not move Greco to the Winter Games and keep MFS & WFS at the Summer Games with 10 weight classes?

7 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

A possible hazard of moving Olympic wrestling to the Winter Games is that it could really water down the non-Olympic weights at Worlds. WIth two-year cycles wrestlers are going to want to move into their Olympic weight to qualify for their national team's trials and to qualify the weight class for their country. It feels much more likely that UWW would eliminate the Senior non-Olympic weight classes than the IOC adding more weights to match Worlds.

As a middle-ground solution, why not move Greco to the Winter Games and keep MFS & WFS at the Summer Games with 10 weight classes?

What do you mean two year cycles?  It would remain at four year cycles...?

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

What do you mean two year cycles?  It would remain at four year cycles...?

Sorry. Huge brain malfunction with the offset years. 

I still propose the idea of moving Greco to Winter and MFS, WFS in the summer with the full slate of World weights!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Sorry. Huge brain malfunction with the offset years. 

I still propose the idea of moving Greco to Winter and MFS, WFS in the summer with the full slate of World weights!

If they drop one, I doubt we get additional weights.  It will be sacrificed to add another shitty bullcrap bogus sport.

Competitive rapping anybody?

• Fire 1