Should the Hawkeyes hire David Taylor as their HC?

peanut

If DT retires after the 2024 Olympics, should the Hawkeyes hire him as their HC?

I don’t think it’s a crazy question. Iowa brought Gable in from Iowa State, and it worked phenomenally well. Why not go outside the Iowa system once again?

Edited by peanut

Around a decade ago, Iowa State hired an olympic gold medalist (Kevin Jackson).   He had also reached the NCAA finals for Iowa State after transferring in from Louisiana State University's (LSU's) suddenly canceled program.  Hiring that Michigan native to run the show did not go well for the Cyclones.   

David Taylor is similarly from far away from Iowa, along with NCAA finalist finishings. Along with a title or two, David also wrestled Bubba Jenkins and Kyle Dake in some other NCAA finals.   Losing to either one is nothing to be ashamed of, just as Kevin Jackson's losing to Royce Alger in the NCAA finals wasn't.   

A difference between Kevin and David is that Kevin came in after Iowa State's head coach announced his departure.   In contrast, there is at least one Brands willing & eager to continue running the Hawkeye wrestling show.   Personally I'd like to see them win with more Iowans on their roster, but at any rate, I'm not too thrilled with the idea of ousting head coaches that are consistently placing in the top few each year. 

What does my analysis lack, though?  I look forward to being enlightened with opposing views.  🙂  

There are many issues. 

I doubt Iowa would part with the current second most successful coach in the sport absent any off the mat issues. Of course, the big off the mat issue we are aware of is the gambling suspensions. I doubt that is sufficient though.

But lets pretend it is. If so, would Taylor even be interested in the job? Perhaps, given the money involved. As a trader I once worked with once said, it isn't about the money, it's about the f'ing money.

But then there is the issue of Spencer Lee. If, as suggested on HR, he is "The One Who Was Promised" but he is not yet ready to coach, do they risk alienating him by firing his current coach and bringing in someone who is unlikely to retire by the time Lee is ready to coach? I have my doubts.

All in all I do not see it happening.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

The issue is not Iowa. The issue is that DT has a life that he loves in State College, Pa. This includes a family that is well settled in the area, two profitable businesses, and a list of friends that includes many of the great wrestlers in the nation and the world. I don't see him leaving for ANY head coach job ANYWHERE. He will slot in at PSU when the time comes. 

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, Pa in Taiwan said:

The issue is not Iowa. The issue is that DT has a life that he loves in State College, Pa. This includes a family that is well settled in the area, two profitable businesses, and a list of friends that includes many of the great wrestlers in the nation and the world. I don't see him leaving for ANY head coach job ANYWHERE. He will slot in at PSU when the time comes. 

Exactly... every time a thread comes up about one of these guys becoming a head coach somewhere, it's like there is no thought that what they have going now is much better than the life of a college head coach.   Their name alone (i.e. Burroughs, Taylor, etc.) is making them money without the headache of taking on a college program.  DT becoming head coach at Iowa  is less likely than the real Jimmy coming back to the boards and paying his debt. 

• Haha 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 hour ago, Pa in Taiwan said:

This would be the reason.  Iowa is a GREAT job.  The pay would be fantastic, the fan base are rabid, the boosters are generous, and they will soon have the best facilities in the world.  But... why would DT want that?  He is living what appears to be a pretty good life at the moment, without the headaches that come from dealing with a few dozen 18-24 year olds. (And there is no indication that he even has the "wiring" necessary to be a head coach)

I personally think this would be awesome for the sport in many different ways. Just like Taylor was a/the foundation for the PSU's ongoing run, he could be a foundation for the Cael 'coaching tree'. Let's face it: the only way to really compete with PSU is for someone from within the program to build a similar room and invent the culture in a different location. 'Wrestle Town USA' would be a great place to do that work--and the Iowa fans would be lucky to have him. (I say this as someone who recognizes the value Brands & Co. bring to the program, and while I admire Spencer Lee, he's simply not as positioned as Taylor to hit the ground running in the near term.)

14 hours ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

I'm not too thrilled with the idea of ousting head coaches that are consistently placing in the top few each year. 

This +1000.

99% of these discussions are simply fans cosplaying. 

Edited by alex1fly
  • Fire 2

On 9/19/2023 at 9:15 AM, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

This would be the reason.  Iowa is a GREAT job.  The pay would be fantastic, the fan base are rabid, the boosters are generous, and they will soon have the best facilities in the world.  But... why would DT want that?  He is living what appears to be a pretty good life at the moment, without the headaches that come from dealing with a few dozen 18-24 year olds. (And there is no indication that he even has the "wiring" necessary to be a head coach)

Why did Cael want to be a coach instead of coasting through the rest of his life? Because they're extremely competitive individuals and want to win at the highest levels in a sport they've dedicated their entire lives to. Personally, I'd rather coast, but not sure these guys are built like that.