2023 World Wrestling tournament...

D3 for LU

Disappointment! Kamal Bey goes out very active. Over-extends himself and gets thrown. Now down 6-0 after an additional gut, he again is aggressive and gets taken down. Loses 0-8. Don't know Sulymanov's chances at the finals. He'll have to face the #1 seed.

Man, you can lose a dream in an eye blink in Greco. 

Even with the disappointment, Bey is gracious at the end. I'm still a Bey Believer, and will always be a Bey fan, but not this year (probably). 

Koontz got jobbed pretty hard in a tech fall loss. Romania would've been pinned except they called a mystery leg foul that I couldn't see. Romania frantically points to his leg while laying on his back. Nice ploy! 

So, instead of a pin for Brady, the Romanian gets another caution point and Brady's put back down. 

Bey is still in it, as Suleymanov of Azerbaijan wins in the next round. It was only 3-1 and took a lot out of him. His road only gets harder. Fingers crossed for Kamal. 

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Remember when Dabe Gean said he was going to go Greco and there was a lot of hoo-ha about how we would 'finally' get some top tier athletes in to Greco?

Top tier athletes would certainly help! And now there are grumblings that Schultz is very upset about the direction of our Greco program and could switch to freestyle! Not sure how serious this is, but I definitely heard the grumbles!

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Top tier athletes would certainly help! And now there are grumblings that Schultz is very upset about the direction of our Greco program and could switch to freestyle! Not sure how serious this is, but I definitely heard the grumbles!

He would insert himself directly in to the conversation as Top Tier on the new age with Parris, Kerkvliet, Hendrickson, Cassioppi, and Davison.  I am all for it.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

17 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Just watched the Bey - Azeri match.

Bey had nothing for him either.

Bey was pushing the action, and he overextended. The Azerbaijani made him pay. Then, down big, Kamal got concerned and in a bad position again while pushing the action, and his opponent made him pay again. The number one seed in that bracket just got upset, so we still might could see Kamal in repechage. 

And I know that #1 seeds in the World Championships haven't meant a lot. I think UWW should study it afterwards. It might be that a neutral AI seeding process is what eventually takes place, although it is good that the current seeds are based on things that are completely objective. I don't know. 

1 minute ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Bey was pushing the action, and he overextended. The Azerbaijani made him pay. Then, down big, Kamal got concerned and in a bad position again while pushing the action, and his opponent made him pay again. The number one seed in that bracket just got upset, so we still might could see Kamal in repechage. 

And I know that #1 seeds in the World Championships haven't meant a lot. I think UWW should study it afterwards. It might be that a neutral AI seeding process is what eventually takes place, although it is good that the current seeds are based on things that are completely objective. I don't know. 

I think if they guarantee the Top 8 seeds get at least a first round bye, then we might see more take the ranking series seriously.

Maybe even factoring in some sort of exchange/picking procedure.  You let the Top 8 PICK their seed, or even have their coaches have a proper seed meeting that seeds the Top 8.  Could even make it blind.  Have the eight coaches seed them 1-8.  Tiebreaker is whomever had more seeding points.  Keep in mind I mean only the Top 8 highest seeding point earners.  Sadulaev, for example, would not have been eligible this year.

Another approach that makes it 'fun' and a play off of the above is that you have the eight seeded gents blank.  Then you let them choose their spot.  For example, Snyder sees that Sadulaev is up top so he chooses the 2 spot, for a chance to meet him in the finals - out of respect.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

7 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Want a high seed?  Be active. Go to rankings tourneys.  It certainly helped guys like Rivera.

I know it is sacrilege in some circles to suggest this, but I think Nick Lee may have found some more success with Rivera's draw.  Should have hit some tourneys, Rivera did.

It was a bit messed up this year, because the Russians who may have wanted to attend Euros, ranking series events, or 2022 Worlds, were barred from doing so.

• Fire 3