2023 World Wrestling tournament...

D3 for LU

7 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Kamal Bey in 6 on Mat B. Joe Rau in 5 on Mat C. 

Also, when you're in Chicago, don't forget tickets to Rau's Improv comedy show. 

Your getting the mat order on the UWW site, no?

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Bey and Rau both up in three on Mats B and C respectively. 

Here's a video of Joe Rau thanking Satan for his winning a wrestling championship. It's comedy, people. 

*** Actually, the link goes to all of his Backstage videos. In the list, though, you can see "The Devil Sketch." That's the one. 

Edited by ILLINIWrestlingBlog

8 hours ago, denger said:

Hmmm, OK, but that's not an argument. There are challenges to having a house party in most parts of the world, and those problems don't disadvantage athletes living in the timezones of the Americas.

If we want parity, which is a winning argument, then ranking series events need to spread more evenly across timezones, right?

I wasn’t making an argument. I was making an observation 

• Fire 1

We just found out Joe Rau's next opponent. Artur Aleksanyan of Armenia won his qualification match against a Euro Gold. This is no surprise as Aleksanyan is a three-time Olympic medalist and a six-time World Championships medalist. Five of those medals Gold. 

Either Rau shocks the world or he's a solid bet to get a repechage chance. 

Pat Smith was up 1-0 at the break. He loves to wrestle in that tiny circle, his own private phone booth. In the second, Smith is put down and the Kazakh hits two gut wrenches. 1-5 at this time. Pat started his sprint with 1:07 on the clock but couldn't crack the Kazakh's defense, although he wrestled fiercely with a strong gas tank the whole time. 

We just don't, and seemingly never will, figure out a training system to create a competitive team at this level.

I wish it'd change for them because you know they work hard, but for now it feels like sending Blair Academy to the NCAAs and being surprised when nobody medals .

• Fire 2

32 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

We just don't, and seemingly never will, figure out a training system to create a competitive team at this level.

I wish it'd change for them because you know they work hard, but for now it feels like sending Blair Academy to the NCAAs and being surprised when nobody medals .

We did in 2007. Somehow. 

• Fire 3

Olympic and World Championship legend Artur Aleksanyan gets the 9-0 win over Joe Rau. The American comedian was put down, even though he was closer to the center and pushing the action more often than the Armenian in that first period. Having a reputation sure helps in Greco! Aleksanyan used a gut-tilt to rack up his points for the first-period win. 

This was like a folkstyle cheap tilt, but the Armenian didn't have to change arm position for each score. 

Rau will almost surely wrestle in the repechage tomorrow. He just lost to a medal-winning maching. Josef's 1-1 in matches so far, and has a Euro Gold tomorrow who needs to be whupped! 

We did in 2007. Somehow. 
Back in the Harry Lester and Dremiel Byers days?
Sometimes we confuse exceptional talents as proof of concept.

Ie: we have success at the world level, folkstyle doesn't hinder freestyle performance/progress.

*Just looked it up:
2 bronze from the above mentioned
And a silver from Vering (forgot about that guy)

We won, no doubt but even a blind squirrel.

11 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

Ie: we have success at the world level, folkstyle doesn't hinder freestyle performance/progress.

*Just looked it up:

OIP.C-bJEcLVvRLZQDTDdaZwSAHaHa?pid=ImgDe

D3

• Fire 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

28 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

*Just looked it up:

Heaven forbid we have talented guys go into Greco!  I'm sure none of these Europeans or Asians who medal are talented in the least!  

We also had multiple medal threats on a regular basis.  It wasn't just one year when a few guys medaled.  Now, we are lucky to wrestle for just one senior medal.

• Fire 1

Heaven forbid we have talented guys go into Greco!  I'm sure none of these Europeans or Asians who medal are talented in the least!  
We also had multiple medal threats on a regular basis.  It wasn't just one year when a few guys medaled.  Now, we are lucky to wrestle for just one senior medal.

There's a variety of factors connected to our decline but at the core is the fact that we don't prioritize greco from an early age. While the popularity of Folkstyle hinders freestyle development. It obliterates Greco.
Not the athletes. Simply the development.
Much smaller countries continue to produce much better results. Cheers
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

There's a variety of factors connected to our decline but at the core is the fact that we don't prioritize greco from an early age. While the popularity of Folkstyle hinders freestyle development. It obliterates Greco.

Cheers to you, as well!

• Fire 2

9 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

Byers didn't wrestle in college and only started Greco after he had joined the Army. The only person offhand I can think of from that team was Harry who dropped out of Iowa State to do Greco full time at NMU. Most of the rest had been pretty damn good college wrestlers. Vering won an NCAA title, Durlacher was a runner up. The problem is guys who might do Greco don't want to with MMA being a more lucrative route. 

• Fire 1

Byers didn't wrestle in college and only started Greco after he had joined the Army. The only person offhand I can think of from that team was Harry who dropped out of Iowa State to do Greco full time at NMU. Most of the rest had been pretty damn good college wrestlers. Vering won an NCAA title, Durlacher was a runner up. The problem is guys who might do Greco don't want to with MMA being a more lucrative route. 

I would think heavyweight would be a lesser learning curve (as legs aren't/weren't) involved as much at heavy.
I do agree, we lose talent quicker than we should due to outside influence (money is a big one ).

But I'll never move off the idea that if we were freestyle/Greco for life . We'd have the most depth every year in both styles.

16 minutes ago, Tripnsweep said:

Ya'll are talking about a time when USAW actually prioritized and pushed Greco at the youth level.  The day USAW decided to put an eternal push and priority into folkstyle was the day Greco in the US started to die.

• Fire 1