Ben Kueter thrown to the Wolves early

WildTurk

33 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I have no idea what his plan was/is, but I believe the theory was he could wrestle 197 this season while redshirting for football, then bump up to heavyweight next year when Cassioppi graduated.

There was never a plan to wrestle 197.  People were just making stuff up.  It was officially reported back in June the plan was to get him to 240 pounds this football season.  

• Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

25 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

There was never a plan to wrestle 197.  People were just making stuff up.  It was officially reported back in June the plan was to get him to 240 pounds this football season.  

Isn’t that exactly what Leistikow’s tweet said though and that it was a “change of plans”?   So nothing changed except that he might start?

17 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

3.5 yrs in the NFL and you still end up having to sell insurance for the rest of your life...

I mean, yeah if you are stupid about it and spend it all via making it rain every night and purchasing a bunch of gold chains and what not…. Kueter doesn’t really strike me as the type…I can see him dropping a few mil on a grill, but not chains. 

On a serious note, man that gives me a sick feeling when a dude is in a potentially lucrative financial situation like that and they end up on a 30 for 30 “Broke” documentary anyways.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

A 7th round pick with a 5 year career made it 1.7 years longer than the average NFL career (3.3 active years). Those chances are slim.

Ok, still at 3 years...a NFL player will have made MILLIONS more than even the best collegiate wrestler.

The point is wrestlers get paid diddly and squat, even if they elite.  You can be a NFL player no one has heard of and still make way more money.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Wow Iowa fans really are special.  In the Kueter thread one guy is comparing him to Kyle Snyder, and another guy thinks that because Assad redshirted in 2021 that means he still gets to use the free year.

You've 6 years to do 4 now if you were enrolled in 2021. RS in 2021 is irrelevant 

Edited by Corby

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Ok, still at 3 years...a NFL player will have made MILLIONS more than even the best collegiate wrestler.

The point is wrestlers get paid diddly and squat, even if they elite.  You can be a NFL player no one has heard of and still make way more money.

If he has a huge passion for wrestling he can still make a great living doing it. Money is not everything.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

I imagine he's equally passionate about football though.

If all is equal between football and wrestling of course he will go with the big bucks from football. If he prefers wrestling and it’s his passion he should pursue that.

14 hours ago, jchapman said:

About 30 linebackers get drafted each year.  So, it's not outrageous to think he could get drafted, but it is also a very difficult prospect.

According to what I found online, 19% of all 4 star recruits coming out of high school get drafted to the NFL. Fairly decent shot. 

According to this 24/7 scouting report Keuter's NFL comparison is Leighton Vander Esch. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Ben-Kueter-46118691/

The Cowboys drafted Vander Esch in the 1st round, pick 19.  His rookie deal was for 4 years, $11.84 million, fully guaranteed.  He then signed another 2 year deal worth $8 million ($5 million guaranteed).

So if the comparison is accurate and he has a career like Vander Esch (who has had injury problems which is why his extension is "only" for $8 million) he's still looking at about $15 million guaranteed.

I'm guessing that would be about $14.5 million more than he would make lifetime if he stuck to collegiate/freestyle wrestling.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

According to this 24/7 scouting report Keuter's NFL comparison is Leighton Vander Esch. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Ben-Kueter-46118691/

The Cowboys drafted Vander Esch in the 1st round, pick 19.  His rookie deal was for 4 years, $11.84 million, fully guaranteed.  He then signed another 2 year deal worth $8 million ($5 million guaranteed).

So if the comparison is accurate and he has a career like Vander Esch (who has had injury problems which is why his extension is "only" for $8 million) he's still looking at about $15 million guaranteed.

I'm guessing that would be about $14.5 million more than he would make lifetime if he stuck to collegiate/freestyle wrestling.

I don't know, man.  He obviously doesn't care about football.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 hour ago, pokemonster said:

According to what I found online, 19% of all 4 star recruits coming out of high school get drafted to the NFL. Fairly decent shot. 

He's a three star by many services and a four star by some.  Again, not crazy to think he will get drafted.  Certainly has the potential.  Just has to perform on the field in within in the next three-four years.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.