Could Penn State win a national title this year in a different sport?

steamboat_charlie

Given that PSU doesn't need their whole lineup to win a national championship this year, and probably don't even need their starters, it's conceivable that they will have significant free time to pursue other ventures this season. 

With the collection of talent that Cael has in house, I wonder whether they could win a championship in a different D1 athletic competition?

Just going down the list with my thoughts on their title chances for each sport:

• Basketball: not likely due to the slightly smaller height.  I would guess maybe half of PSU's team has over a 40 inch vertical leap, but I don't think that will make up for the size issue.  Chances: 2%
  • Baseball: slightly more possible given size not being an issue.  Clearly they wouldn't lack for power.  I wonder, though, if they'd have enough arms to make it through a deep playoff run.  Chances: 7%
  • Football: the biggest issue I see here is that the roster size is a little too small.  I wouldn't worry about size on the line as Casey will coach them up and get their technique in order, but I do worry about them effectively fielding a full 11 on both sides of the ball.  Chances: 5%
  • Soccer: I think the transition here would be quite easy.  Most of the talented soccer players skip the collegiate level, so the talent pool is heavily diminished.  Also many of the skills are transferable, and there's no size issue.  Fairly certain Kerkvliet would be a world class keeper, just so long as you're not asking him to keep to one of his original commitments.  Chances: 34%
  • Ice Hockey: This doesn't seem likely.  Chances: 1%
  • Volleyball: As previously mentioned, PSU has tremendous athletes who can probably jump very high.  That would be an asset in volleyball.  Also, not that many schools participate so it's a pretty easy playing field.  I also think with a bit of time to scout and prepare Casey could design a sort of daisy-chain maneuver whereby Truax and Brooks might quickly lift someone like Bartlett on the frontline to create an impenetrable wall.  Chances: 25%
  • Cross Country:  A big part of off-season training for most wrestlers is running.  This would be quite a simple transition.  Any running sport isn't really a sport anyway, it's just a competition to see who's the best at exercising.  Nobody is better at exercising than the Nittany Lions.  Chances: 64%
  • Tennis:  This is an individual sport, so wrestlers will be familiar with the general vibe.  Also, now that we're in the NIL era most of their wrestlers will be familiar with rackets.  Tennis players are generally weaker, and not overly big.  Chances: 22%
  • Gymnastics:  I'm not even sure a change in training regimen would be required to win this.  Chances: 88%
  • Field Hockey:  This is really less of a sport and more of an after school activity that you encourage your child to get involved in if you can't afford to pay for their school.  Sort of like playing the saxophone, but with a better payoff at the end.  I think PSU wins this going away.  Chances: 100%

There are of course a few sports that I didn't consider, but I simply don't have all day.  Let me know what you guys think in the comment section below.  

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:
  • Soccer: I think the transition here would be quite easy.  Most of the talented soccer players skip the collegiate level, so the talent pool is heavily diminished.  Also many of the skills are transferable, and there's no size issue.  Fairly certain Kerkvliet would be a world class keeper, just so long as you're not asking him to keep to one of his original commitments.  Chances: 34%
  • Ice Hockey: This just soccer with frozen water and a smaller net.  Chances: 35%

Fixed it for you.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

10 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:

The pads are just there so they can hit harder.  Also they're balancing on miniature swords strapped to their boots on a slippery surface--something to consider.  

Legitimately soccer with a smaller net and un-wet water.

6 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:

Ok, you're right.  Also basketball is soccer with even smaller nets on a pole and shaved grass.  Swimming is soccer without nets in wet water.  And Football is just literally soccer. 

Well really everything is just soccer.  Cross Country is soccer without the ball.  Tennis is soccer with a modified hockey stick but you hit the ball over the net instead of into the net.  

20 minutes ago, ionel said:

Well really everything is just soccer.  Cross Country is soccer without the ball.  Tennis is soccer with a modified hockey stick but you hit the ball over the net instead of into the net.  

Golf is soccer with a smaller ball and you use a modified hockey sick but you hit the ball into a small hole in the ground instead of a net.

48 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:

Ok, you're right.  Also basketball is soccer with even smaller nets on a pole and shaved grass.  Swimming is soccer without nets in wet water.  And Football is just literally soccer. 

And the real zinger is that Soccer is actually Football.  So by proxy everything else is, too.

24 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

And the real zinger is that Soccer is actually Football.  So by proxy everything else is, too.

ahh ... NO ... else they wouldn't have invented football later.  The american football is for those not coordinated enough to play with their feet so its soccer but allowed to use hands.  

5 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

water polo

Wet team wrestling.  There is a ball and net nearby but those are to see if you can be distracted from the wrestling.  PSU red shirt and extra wrestlers win this going away between attending open meets in their spare time.

6 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

Hockey players are so much tougher than soccer players.

In general, yes. But - watch as they fight on the ice. Most don't know how to punch better than Joe Bidens sister. They do more slapping than puhching. Grab & hit.

As for Gymnastics. Most of the wrestlers would have to train for a few years to even sniff a mid level High school team.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

In general, yes. But - watch as they fight on the ice. Most don't know how to punch better than Joe Bidens sister. They do more slapping than puhching. Grab & hit.
As for Gymnastics. Most of the wrestlers would have to train for a few years to even sniff a mid level High school team.

Toughness isn’t always about fighting… in my first season working college hockey, I saw all sorts of toughness … and that’s where they have to wear full cages and there isn’t fighting. They’re basically wrestlers wearing skates and carrying weapons.

Insert catchy tagline here.