Anthony Cassar: "Cael keeps you grounded in your faith"

6 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah I thought Bartlett did, as well as Taylor and Nolf.  I don't think I've ever seen a SVN interview, but I don't recall Cenzo talking about God all that much.   Ruth (and Taylor) graduated almost 10 years ago, so seems odd that those were the best examples they could come up with.

why is it odd?

i think your posts on this topic are odd. 

TBD

9 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

why is it odd?

i think your posts on this topic are odd. 

I thought it was odd that that poster needed to go back almost 10 years for some of his examples of non-religious PSU wrestlers, and one of them (Taylor) probably isn’t even a good example IIRC.

Obviously there are/have been some star PSU wrestlers that aren’t/weren’t religious, but definitely appears that many are.   Clearly it seems to be working, if for no other reason than to give them something else they enjoy besides wrestling.

Being a “state-related” school that I presume is bound by restrictions on separation of church and state, I’d also find it odd if any of it was coming from Cael or the coaching staff.  Cassar’s interview is the first evidence I can recall that it may have been, but yes I suppose as long as he doesn’t talk about Jesus etc. than he’s likely in the clear.

21 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Ruth quietly and routinely prayed to the Porcelain God on weekend evenings until he met his maker. It was a revival convention held in the parking lot of a local fine dining restaurant and when they found him in a glassy eyed trance repeating himself in ancient tongues

"Yo quiero Taco Bell. Live Más Nittany Lions"

Let those of us without sin cast the first stone.  🤪

you're allowed to talk about Jesus just like you're allowed to talk about the weather...or anything, for that matter. 

here' my two cents...

a lot of wrestlers - particularly good ones, particularly on good teams that have a proven track record - 

subscribe to religion or a 'religious way' not because of the allegories or stories, but because wrestling is tough both mentally and physically and in pursuit of being the best you can be, making the right decisions is crucial.

i.e. - you want to be good, do the right things. and it works. or at least doesn't hurt.

just a theory. 

• Fire 1

TBD

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I thought it was odd that that poster needed to go back almost 10 years for some of his examples of non-religious PSU wrestlers, and one of them (Taylor) probably isn’t even a good example IIRC.

Obviously there are/have been some star PSU wrestlers that aren’t/weren’t religious, but definitely appears that many are.   Clearly it seems to be working, if for no other reason than to give them something else they enjoy besides wrestling.

Being a “state-related” school that I presume is bound by restrictions on separation of church and state, I’d also find it odd if any of it was coming from Cael or the coaching staff.  Cassar’s interview is the first evidence I can recall that it may have been, but yes I suppose as long as he doesn’t talk about Jesus etc. than he’s likely in the clear.

You need to read more news about this subject because you are clearly behind the times. Start with a Google Search for Bremerton Coach Joe Kennedy + Supreme Court. 

32 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

you're allowed to talk about Jesus just like you're allowed to talk about the weather...or anything, for that matter. 

here' my two cents...

a lot of wrestlers - particularly good ones, particularly on good teams that have a proven track record - 

subscribe to religion or a 'religious way' not because of the allegories or stories, but because wrestling is tough both mentally and physically and in pursuit of being the best you can be, making the right decisions is crucial.

i.e. - you want to be good, do the right things. and it works. or at least doesn't hurt.

just a theory. 

Sorry, "promote" Jesus

I have no issue with wrestlers being religious or even talking about it a lot (as long as they are not disparaging other religions...)

I would have an issue IF religion is being promoted by the coaching staff at state or "state-related" schools.   I really have no idea whether this is happening or not at PSU, and knowing Cael's typical adherence to rules I'd probably guess it's not.  Maybe something started this apparent correlation with PSU seemingly having a higher % of very religious wrestlers awhile back (although one thing to keep in mind is that PSU guys win more often and thus are interviewed more often so it may just be partly more noticeable due to that), but at this point it seems guys that are both really good at wrestling and also religious are simply attracted to PSU.

6 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Sorry, "promote" Jesus

I have no issue with wrestlers being religious or even talking about it a lot (as long as they are not disparaging other religions...)

I would have an issue IF religion is being promoted by the coaching staff at state or "state-related" schools.   I really have no idea whether this is happening or not at PSU, and knowing Cael's typical adherence to rules I'd probably guess it's not.  Maybe something started this apparent correlation with PSU seemingly having a higher % of very religious wrestlers awhile back (although one thing to keep in mind is that PSU guys win more often and thus are interviewed more often so it may just be partly more noticeable due to that), but at this point it seems guys that are both really good at wrestling and also religious are simply attracted to PSU.

If Cael is promoting his religion, he is not doing a very good job. Most of the guys that have been interviewed are Christians and Cael is a Mormon. 

• Fire 1

11 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

You need to read more news about this subject because you are clearly behind the times. Start with a Google Search for Bremerton Coach Joe Kennedy + Supreme Court. 

The guy who was praying at the middle of the football field? 

The most important quote from that decision IMO is this: "Kennedy offered his prayers quietly while his students were otherwise occupied" and that he made "short, private, personal prayer"

Doing your own prayer and then having players join in wouldn't be the same as IF religion is being promoted at practices/private team functions, etc.     

59 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

idk ... if weather is your religion, can you talk about it?  🤔

3 minutes ago, Gus said:

If Cael is promoting his religion, he is not doing a very good job. Most of the guys that have been interviewed are Christians and Cael is a Mormon

Thought Cael's religion was Fun?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

You all realize Cael is Mormon, right? And almost all of the wrestlers he coached are an entirely different religion than he is (only exception I can think of is Matt Brown). So he is clearly not promoting his own religion. Gus nailed it… he simply creates that atmosphere for his athletes and it clearly helps to believe in something bigger than yourself.

Cyler Sanderson is Mormon

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

23 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Obviously there are/have been some star PSU wrestlers that aren’t/weren’t religious, but definitely appears that many are.

How theologically literate are these guys? Can they discuss Anslem's onotological proof? Augustine's just war? Gnosticism? Jesus's connection to Jewish apocalypticism? Do they read Greek and Hebrew? 

15 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

How theologically literate are these guys? Can they discuss Anslem's onotological proof? Augustine's just war? Gnosticism? Jesus's connection to Jewish apocalypticism? Do they read Greek and Hebrew? 

I have no idea. But I believe Kyle Snyder runs a Bible study group, so maybe

• Fire 1

18 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I have no idea. But I believe Kyle Snyder runs a Bible study group, so maybe

It would be cool if Aaron Brooks could tell us how Matthew and Luke grew out of Mark, how this impacted his understanding of what Jesus said on the cross, and what role this understanding plays in his decision to beat people up on the mat. No cap. I sincrerely want their faith to be more than a collection of cliches.

Edited by jackwebster

19 hours ago, Threadkilla said:

Let those of us without sin cast the first stone.  🤪

You know that this line was not originally in John? I didn't until recently. Apparently, the adultery story was added by scribes translating the source into Latin. about hundred years after the first appearances of the gospel.

Edited by jackwebster

On 8/29/2023 at 7:19 PM, PortaJohn said:

Cael is allowed to talk about Jesus & Joesph Smith.  It's protected under his constitutional right.  He's not allowed discriminate wrestlers who are not religious or to force religious practice i.e prayer, going to church, drink the blood of christ

penn state is a state school, subject to constitutional rules as a state actor. your response is about what would count as improper "establishment of religion" assuming that it is a state school. no interest in getting into the contours of where those lines are drawn. 

Edited by ugarles

14 minutes ago, ugarles said:

penn state is a state school, subject to constitutional rules as a state actor. your response is about what would count as improper "establishment of religion" assuming that it is a state school. no interest in getting into the contours of where those lines are drawn. 

I think some of the pushback is saying he can "talk about" them, he just can't "promote" them

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

How does Andrew Long fit into all this?

A God-fearing sex offender?

https://www.weareiowa.com/article/news/wrestling-with-life-the-andrew-long-story/524-50db074a-8db9-43cc-9ad9-97d9ccaf3ff8

"Long says, along with wrestling, he looks to his faith to get him through.

“God’s got the show now,” he says."

Edited by jchapman
  • Fire 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

18 minutes ago, jchapman said:

A God-fearing sex offender?

https://www.weareiowa.com/article/news/wrestling-with-life-the-andrew-long-story/524-50db074a-8db9-43cc-9ad9-97d9ccaf3ff8

"Long says, along with wrestling, he looks to his faith to get him through.

“God’s got the show now,” he says."

God fearing serial felon

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I think some of the pushback is saying he can "talk about" them, he just can't "promote" them

i get where the conversation is, i just don't care to have a debate about the subtleties of first amendment jurisprudence on a wrestling forum. penn state university would be considered a state actor, subject to whatever limitations the first amendment imposes. it wouldn't cover cael being generally religious in his own life, would cover coerced prayer circles, any further refinement is just going to be a boring back and forth.

• Fire 1