Republican or not?

jross

I grew up in a very Republican city in a Democrat state.  My Dad was an ardent Democrat and always said that Republicans in Rochester were so easy to identify that he could smell them.  

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

2 minutes ago, jross said:

The game is not so easy.  

Republican or not?

"I wrestle."

That's a good one.  I immediately think of Paul Wellstone as one who'd "break that mold. "

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

25 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

Bless your little heart. 

Thank you, sir! I had fourteen years of religious edggakashun at our church,  so I appreciate the well wishes!

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, jross said:

The game is not so easy.  

Republican or not?

"I wrestle."

Republicans

• emphasize individualism and self-reliance, which aligns with the mindset of wrestlers who know that their success results from their own dedication and effort.
  • value their autonomy and limited government intervention, which could explain why wrestlers are frustrated when referees inject themselves into the match.
  • have traditional values on family and religion, hence the 'praise god' comments in wrestler post-match interviews.
  • choose to be charitable, which explains why coaches volunteer their time without or for little pay in the community

Democrats 

• advocate for social welfare programs, which aligns with the value of support systems.  Wrestlers know their success depends on access to training facilities, health care, training partners, and coaches.
  • is big on teamwork and collaboration, which explains why a team score is kept in addition to individual scores.
  • values inclusivity and wrestling is open to people of all backgrounds.

• Fire 1

By my own admission, I only had time this morning to see the first three,  but it was done very cleverly and not what I expected. 

5 hours ago, Ban Basketball said:

I grew up in a very Republican city in a Democrat state.  My Dad was an ardent Democrat and always said that Republicans in Rochester were so easy to identify that he could smell them.  

I figured out who you are,   is your name Naven Johnson?   Did you find your special purpose?  

46 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

I figured out who you are,   is your name Naven Johnson?   Did you find your special purpose?  

Got it! First guess too!

Can't get one by you,  can I, Columbio? 😉

Finally saw the whole skit. Areas where they missed out follow. 

1. They needed to add the DOJ, alongside the Capitol cops. 

2. Current Democrat politicians are not advocating for banning the Bible in school libraries, outside of pernting out that illicit sex is ALL OVER  the Bible. 

19 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

2. Current Democrat politicians are not advocating for banning the Bible in school libraries, outside of pernting out that illicit sex is ALL OVER  the Bible. 

Hi Ban, this is a nice try but a swing and a miss.   There are no pictures of what everything looks like and what to do with them.   There is no graphic language how how to do the things being done.   "Adam had sex with his wife Eve" is about as explicit as it gets with no how to descriptions or illustrations.  Not as graphic as the books being put into libraries for children. 

https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-religion-arts-and-entertainment-virginia-school-boards-9eb21874bf1f8da6f27a0ea4e1f8a016

A northern Virginia school system said it is removing two books from school libraries, including an illustrated memoir that contains explicit illustrations of sexual encounters involving children, after a parent expressed concern about them at a school board meeting.

Stacy Langton, a parent in the Fairfax County school system, questioned the school board at a public meeting Thursday about the books’ availability in high school libraries. As she quoted from explicit passages in the book, a school board member interrupted her and chastised her for using explicit language.

...“Gender Queer,” an illustrated memoir, contains explicit illustrations of oral sex and masturbation. The novel “Lawn Boy” contains graphic descriptions of sex between men and children.

Langton said the fact that school board members felt compelled to interrupt her when she read graphic passages aloud illustrates her point about the books’ inappropriate nature.

There is a difference that may be subtle to you, to me it is a wide gulf of difference. 

mspart

• Fire 2

On 8/29/2023 at 6:40 PM, mspart said:

Hi Ban, this is a nice try but a swing and a miss.   There are no pictures of what everything looks like and what to do with them.   There is no graphic language how how to do the things being done.   "Adam had sex with his wife Eve" is about as explicit as it gets with no how to descriptions or illustrations.  Not as graphic as the books being put into libraries for children. 

https://apnews.com/article/entertainment-religion-arts-and-entertainment-virginia-school-boards-9eb21874bf1f8da6f27a0ea4e1f8a016

A northern Virginia school system said it is removing two books from school libraries, including an illustrated memoir that contains explicit illustrations of sexual encounters involving children, after a parent expressed concern about them at a school board meeting.

Stacy Langton, a parent in the Fairfax County school system, questioned the school board at a public meeting Thursday about the books’ availability in high school libraries. As she quoted from explicit passages in the book, a school board member interrupted her and chastised her for using explicit language.

...“Gender Queer,” an illustrated memoir, contains explicit illustrations of oral sex and masturbation. The novel “Lawn Boy” contains graphic descriptions of sex between men and children.

Langton said the fact that school board members felt compelled to interrupt her when she read graphic passages aloud illustrates her point about the books’ inappropriate nature.

There is a difference that may be subtle to you, to me it is a wide gulf of difference. 

mspart

Yes, but the books that are being cancelled are not always "graphic" either.  They simply present human sexuality, and/or LGBT issues with no "graphic" content.  Iowa, Florida, and a host of other authoritarian states have banned any presentation of these issues in schools, as well as race issues.

I think there's a bit more graphic sex in the Bible than just Adam and Eve, my man!  You may want to recount the tale of Lot and his daughters.  Imagine a book on human sexuality that contained content like that, and what the authoritarians would do!

Here's more steamy passages from the Holy book.  https://www.salon.com/2015/04/06/the_8_kinkiest_passages_of_the_bible_partner/

Edited by Ban Basketball

• On 8/29/2023 at 12:03 PM, jross said:

Republicans

• emphasize individualism and self-reliance, which aligns with the mindset of wrestlers who know that their success results from their own dedication and effort.
    • value their autonomy and limited government intervention, which could explain why wrestlers are frustrated when referees inject themselves into the match.
    • have traditional values on family and religion, hence the 'praise god' comments in wrestler post-match interviews.
    • choose to be charitable, which explains why coaches volunteer their time without or for little pay in the community

Democrats 

• advocate for social welfare programs, which aligns with the value of support systems.  Wrestlers know their success depends on access to training facilities, health care, training partners, and coaches.
    • is big on teamwork and collaboration, which explains why a team score is kept in addition to individual scores.
    • values inclusivity and wrestling is open to people of all backgrounds.

Except that R's represent well in the 'lower three' on the list, and D's represent well on the 'upper four' on the list.

In other words, I don't see a significant difference between R's and D's in wrestling.

(But, jross, you already knew both these things.)

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

On 8/29/2023 at 6:40 PM, mspart said:

mspart

That is interesting. How do you feel about "The Kama Sutra"?

On 9/3/2023 at 12:33 AM, GreatWhiteNorth said:
  •  

Except that R's represent well in the 'lower three' on the list, and D's represent well on the 'upper four' on the list.

In other words, I don't see a significant difference between R's and D's in wrestling.

(But, jross, you already knew both these things.)

Bored Disinterest GIF

On 9/3/2023 at 1:48 AM, GreatWhiteNorth said:

That is interesting. How do you feel about "The Kama Sutra"?

Appropriate for adult audiences.  Not appropriate for pre-school through grade 12 libraries.  Just like everything that was on the top shelf and hidden at the magazine/newspaper stand when I was a kid.

On 9/2/2023 at 1:56 PM, Ban Basketball said:

Yes, but the books that are being cancelled are not always "graphic" either.  They simply present human sexuality, and/or LGBT issues with no "graphic" content.  Iowa, Florida, and a host of other authoritarian states have banned any presentation of these issues in schools, as well as race issues.

I think there's a bit more graphic sex in the Bible than just Adam and Eve, my man!  You may want to recount the tale of Lot and his daughters.  Imagine a book on human sexuality that contained content like that, and what the authoritarians would do!

Here's more steamy passages from the Holy book.  https://www.salon.com/2015/04/06/the_8_kinkiest_passages_of_the_bible_partner/

And what does the Bible say about Lot and his daughters?   They knew him.   While being clear it is also vague.  I do not disagree that there are passages in the Bible that are "racy".   Song of Solomon comes to mind.   But these are nothing compared to the "graphic" content being removed from school libraries.   Do you think it is appropriate to show and explicitly describe sex positions, sexual conduct whether hetero or homo or pan or bi etc for our school age children?  Lets start with elementary school age children.  I'll settle for that.  I personally don't think this content is good for middle and high school age children.   You can address them too if you like. 

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I would like to see you produce an example of books that have been dropped that are not always "graphic".   That would be interesting.   I can certainly show you books that are "graphic" that have been dropped. 

mspart

• Fire 2

For starters,  school "sex ed" programs are age appropriate. Educators are trained pros, plus,  the school's curriculum nor administration would allow teachers to teach outside the confines of what the curriculum allows. Hence,  it's all age apprppriate. What's getting passed off to you by irresponsible people trying to make people angry is that kids are getting full on sex education in kindergarten or second grade.  Baloney.

I know of one book right here in Ioway that is available in grade school libraries all across the state that discusses an incestuous relationship between father and daughter,  and she ends up bearing his child.  Do you find that inappropriate?

3 hours ago, mspart said:

And what does the Bible say about Lot and his daughters?   They knew him.   While being clear it is also vague.  I do not disagree that there are passages in the Bible that are "racy".   Song of Solomon comes to mind.   But these are nothing compared to the "graphic" content being removed from school libraries.   Do you think it is appropriate to show and explicitly describe sex positions, sexual conduct whether hetero or homo or pan or bi etc for our school age children?  Lets start with elementary school age children.  I'll settle for that.  I personally don't think this content is good for middle and high school age children.   You can address them too if you like. 

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I would like to see you produce an example of books that have been dropped that are not always "graphic".   That would be interesting.   I can certainly show you books that are "graphic" that have been dropped. 

mspart

As a separate reply,  here's a list of the top books banned in schools right now.  You'll find many that have nothing to do with sexuality at all.  https://pen.org/banned-books-list-fall-2022/

In addition,  Florida has banned books that discuss the Holocaust, as well as watering down the materials that can be used in AP Affican American studies classes. 

You'd think we'd learn about authoritarian states from our past,  but, like all countries that feed on anger and resentment of "others," of course we don't. 

47 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

As a separate reply,  here's a list of the top books banned in schools right now.  You'll find many that have nothing to do with sexuality at all.  https://pen.org/banned-books-list-fall-2022/

In addition,  Florida has banned books that discuss the Holocaust, as well as watering down the materials that can be used in AP Affican American studies classes. 

You'd think we'd learn about authoritarian states from our past,  but, like all countries that feed on anger and resentment of "others," of course we don't. 

What books about the Holocaust and what was watered down in the AP African American studies classes?   Just saying these things does not make them true?

The list is interesting with the #1 book being blatantly sexual if the watered down description is accurate.   I would like to see a substantiation for why the books you claim are ok on the list are not allowed in school libraries since you seem to know all about them.   Again, not saying you are wrong, but would like to see some evidence about your assertions.  

mspart

• Fire 1