2023 Collegiate Duals in Nashville

flyingcement

9 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

That's just not true that "everyone is always hurt," and I'm pretty sure you know that.  This whole thing is getting more and more stupid.

EVERYONE is ALWAYS hurt/injured in some capacity. From the time your first preseason starts, for the rest of your life, you are never ever 100% again. Period.

• Fire 1

I don't disbelieve Coach Grey but I still don't think we're beating the quacking allegations. I think at best he was being extreeeeeemely conservative in a high-profile event. The tough matches that unavoidably had to happen, happened: Cornella needed the rematch with Echemendia - even though it went just as poorly as R1. Foca needed to wrestle Feldkamp after the debacle at LV even after beating Heller. Fernandes needed to test himself against at least one of Pitzer and Bastida. At 197, Cardenas was the one with the missing opponent, though Broderson didn't wrestle in Nashville at all. Nobody cares what Cornell does at 149 or 174 (sorry guys, no offense!). As for the rest, you can make a case for all but ... I'm not surprised that people are skeptical. Here we go in weight order, not order of justification:

Ungar looked like an early 2022 version of himself against Camacho trying to get off bottom after being reversed (though I continue to think that staying in the backpack position on top, with the top wrestler clinging on to a standing opponent like a capuchin baby should be considered an escape). Since Greg D. is a quality backup who needs more mat time, his appearance didn't shock me and his win more than justified the decision.

Arujau had a long injury layoff, skipping LV entirely, so I am less surprised if he skipped the match because he aggravated whatever caused the long layoff. I don't think he was ducking Frost. Apparently the rematch at Sheridan (Lehigh) isn't going to happen... but Crookham isn't wrestling either, and McGonagle is going 141 and it might be a wrestle-off with Hines due to the embarrassment of riches in Bethlehem at 133/141.

Shapiro's dominant win over Bianchi probably took some of the pressure off of feeling that he needed to wrestle Chittum but it still was weird to see him skip it. He certainly didn't seem any worse for wear at the end. Especially if he wasn't actually injured in LV! Was shocked that this match didn't happen.

Ramirez definitely tweaked something near the end of the Heller match. It was a messed up scramble with all the legs looking like the tails of a rat king at the end. Both guys came out of it limping and shaking it off. Not the best condition to fight David Carr and I think people are probably definitely right if they say he'd wrestle if it were NCAAs and probably right if the next dual was against, say, Brown. Not seeing this match kinda hurt even though it was the most obvious of the four match-cancelling injuries.

• Fire 4

10 minutes ago, MidwestWrest said:

EVERYONE is ALWAYS hurt/injured in some capacity. From the time your first preseason starts, for the rest of your life, you are never ever 100% again. Period.

I guess I'm "old school" now, but I can't imagine someone not toeing the line in a dual unless a limb was falling off.

Why not wrestle regionals and nationals and no other events?  For some of these teams its a race to get a good individual win and then sit their guy for the rest of his tough matches all year.  Not a lot of pride involved.

• Fire 3

1 minute ago, MPhillips said:

@BigRedFan If you just hold on for a few more hours and stop letting folks, "jerk your chain" the ducking focus may shift to Ohio State who have two wrestlers listed in seven weights and three listed at 184.

Say it ain't so bro!   Please can you guarantee no ducking in the late match for our good buddy Fly!

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I hope the negative reaction from yesterday's quack pack sent a ripple of fear into D1 coaches who do not want to have their team mascot renamed in the same way that Cornell has officially been renamed to the Big Orange

4861937117_3f3a805a96_b.jpg

• Fire 1

42 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I guess I'm "old school" now, but I can't imagine someone not toeing the line in a dual unless a limb was falling off.

Why not wrestle regionals and nationals and no other events?  For some of these teams its a race to get a good individual win and then sit their guy for the rest of his tough matches all year.  Not a lot of pride involved.

I agree with you 100%. I think if you would wrestle the national tournament, then you should wrestle the dual/tournament. If you would sit out of nationals because of the injury, then I excuse it. 

I was just disputing BRF's statement about not everyone being hurt. 

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, MidwestWrest said:

I agree with you 100%. I think if you would wrestle the national tournament, then you should wrestle the dual/tournament. If you would sit out of nationals because of the injury, then I excuse it. 

I was just disputing BRF's statement about not everyone being hurt. 

Total agreement!

I was just thinking about how I just watched "The Dual" on Amazon Prime.  Pretty good little show.  It never would have existed if Iowa or Iowa State held out their "hurt" guys.

Also: Iowa used the loss to propel their team to one of the greatest postseason runs ever, while Iowa State built upon their win with a national title the next year.

Lessons are learned from both wins and losses in tough matches.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

This sounds familiar. What are the details again?

Noto did his redshirt year at NC State and was not welcome back.  Donald Cates father alleged on twitter that Noto made a racially insensitive remark to Cates. Last year after Noto beat Trombley in sudden victory he went jawing at Pop and the old team 

• Fire 1

11 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Noto did his redshirt year at NC State and was not welcome back.  Donald Cates father alleged on twitter that Noto made a racially insensitive remark to Cates. Last year after Noto beat Trombley in sudden victory he went jawing at Pop and the old team 

Damn, that's really unfortunate if true. I've been rooting for him.

Just now, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Damn, that's really unfortunate if true. I've been rooting for him.

Just now, MPhillips said:

If it's true just know that people root for assholes all the time...

Yeah and also it may be something he deeply regrets and has changed.  It may be also something that he would contest didn't happen in the first place.  I don't have any details so don't want to make it sound like its definitely true.  In any event, there seemed to be bad blood between Noto and NC State at last years dual.  

• Fire 3