UNC

Dogbone

1 minute ago, Paul158 said:

Hopefully all those parents are to far away to be a nuisance. If you are the coach you do like the coach in the movie Hoosiers did. Gene Hackman .He said boys its been real nice. Then he left.

Ramos is a smart guy, but I am not sure if he is going to instill a zone defense for the Heels. 

• Fire 2

Lurked for a while but this is my first post here, as a Tar Heel this would be a home run hire for us, would be interesting to see of he would bring one of his more recent former wrestlers along for the staff, maybe someone like Dake might be thinking of going into coaching after this olympic cycle

• Fire 2

Who knows what the actual situation would be, but from an outsider's view:  If I were Ramos and given the opportunity, I would be thrilled to spend a couple of years being an assistant with Koll as it would be a tremendous learning opportunity and absolutely raise my value when the time came to take over my own program.

• Fire 3

2 hours ago, Offthemat said:

What difference does it make?

He may not leave this season since it starts in a couple months and I assume there aren’t many available jobs.  But I think there’s a decent chance he leaves before next season.

Just speculation of course 

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

Rob Koll leaving Stanford for UNC would call into question why he left Cornell. UNC is a very difficult job. 

Coach Koll seems like a pioneer on a crusade to keep wrestling alive and increasingly rebounding to its health of yesteryear.   Maybe that's why he attended UNC in the first place despite his strong ties to Pennsylvania (where plenty of schools could have given him a scholarship).   Anyhow, UNC helps keep NCAA D1 wrestling alive in the Southeastern USA.  That's very helpful to wrestling seemingly even in the other divisions.   Hopefully UNC's success can spread and inspire the revival of former ACC programs such as Clemson & Georgia Tech.   I'd mention the S.E.C., too, but I gather that a member school merely needs around 7 teams to comply. 

My point is merely that Coach Koll's returning to UNC makes sense even when leaving Cornell might not seem to have.   That said, if Coach Koll can keep building wrestling at Stanford, that would be helpful.   We want to keep the sport strong coast-to-coast.   Football money seemingly won't be so plentiful there for the foreseeable future though.   A master fundraiser is needed.   Coach Koll seems like an excellent leader for that roll.     

Edited by TitleIX is ripe for reform
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Coach Koll seems like a pioneer on a crusade to keep wrestling alive and increasingly rebounding to its health of yesteryear.   Maybe that's why he attended UNC in the first place despite his strong ties to Pennsylvania (where plenty of schools could have given him a scholarship).   Anyhow, UNC helps keep NCAA D1 wrestling alive in the Southeastern USA.  That's very helpful to wrestling seemingly even in the other divisions.   Hopefully UNC's success can spread and inspire the revival of former ACC programs such as Clemson & Georgia Tech.   I'd mention the S.E.C., too, but I gather that a member school merely needs around 7 teams to comply. 

My point is merely that Coach Koll's returning to UNC makes sense even when leaving Cornell might not seem to have.   That said, if Coach Koll can keep building wrestling at Stanford, that would be helpful.   We want to keep the sport strong coast-to-coast.   Football money seemingly won't be so plentiful there for the foreseeable future though.   A master fundraiser is needed.   Coach Koll seems like an excellent leader for that roll.     

I’m not saying he isn’t going to leave. The whole concept behind going to Stanford though was that they were a sleeping giant and basically he could build a better version of Cornell out west with scholarships.

UNC has a weaker recruiting base and weaker alumni donation base than both Stanford and Cornell. So I’m not sure what he will actually be able to do there that he hasn’t already.