UNC

Dogbone

Esposito is taking the USA Freestyle development job and rumors are Coleman Scott is returning to be head coach in waiting.  

Who does UNC hire?  Assuming Ramos has the inside track, especially this close to the start of the season.  Any other potential names?

I think all bets are off at Stanford until they get their football situation fixed. Could see another effort to cut some Olympic sports. Koll may be doing what's best for Koll. If so, can't blame him, and can't expect him to rescue Stanford twice.

On a side note, as a swim dad, there is something going on with the women's swim team. Massive roster defections. Some OLY redshirts, maybe NIL money. Could be more going on at the Farm than just wrestling.

Edited by Voice of the Quakers
  • Fire 2

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I thought @goheels1812 was saying he was disappointed in their performance outside of O'Connor?

Really just depends on how you want to skin that cat. From an individual success standpoint, Coleman has been awesome. O’Connor is the best thing at UNC since TJ in the 90s. We’ve also had 3 all Americans pretty much every season and McNeil shows a lot of promise. 

The negative is from a team perspective, UNC has gotten worse every year. The team has had the same holes in the lineup for years now (125, 165, 197, 285 haven’t been competitive weights in years and recruiting hasn’t addressed it). We’ve been passed comfortably by NC State, VT, and Pitt making us the 4th best squad in a conference with only 6 programs. 

I’m just not the guy that’s going to use a post about our coach leaving to poo-poo on the weaknesses he’s had over the years lol. So yeah, hate to lose him and wishing him the best. 

Edited by goheels1812
  • Fire 6

1 minute ago, MidwestWrest said:

I doubt Cunningham would leave Penn State for UNC. Even if it means a HC job.

I agree . It would just be my first choice. But It isn't realistic. If we were talking basketball with a phenomenal program.Maybe. But it is wrestling.

• Fire 1

34 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

We’ve been passed comfortably by NC State, VT, and Pitt making us the 4th best squad in a conference with only 6 programs. 

You're not talking about some MACtion though, and the "holes" are acceptable because the reality is there are 5 blue bloods (PSU, Iowa, tOSU, OKST, Cornell) and everyone else.

VT was 9th and NCState was 10th last year separated by an ultra slim 49-48 margin. UNC was 12th. Pitt was 22nd. I would describe that as a very damn good performance from the ACC and at a macro level that is a very good thing for wrestling.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

7 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

You're not talking about some MACtion though, and the "holes" are acceptable because the reality is there are 5 blue bloods (PSU, Iowa, tOSU, OKST, Cornell) and everyone else.

VT was 9th and NCState was 10th last year separated by an ultra slim 49-48 margin. UNC was 12th. Pitt was 22nd. I would describe that as a very damn good performance from the ACC and at a macro level that is a very good thing for wrestling.

Right, and the bolded text is exactly why I think UNC should be more competitive as a team in the ACC. There are no penn states, Iowa, etc. to compete with. There’s not a reason why 4 (arguably 5 if you want to throw in the revolving door at 133) weight classes should be uncompetitive in the ACC. The reason why UNC does well in the metric you provided is because of O’Connor if we really want to get right down to it. His points for being a national champion move UNC from finishing in the 20-30 range to finishing 12th. Unc was 6-9 in duals last year and lost to App State for the first time in program history. They also lost 21-11 to Pitt. I’m not sure how one can argue from a team standpoint everything is in ok shape. UNC *heavily* supports non-revenue sports so I don’t believe it’s a university support issue. 

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, goheels1812 said:

Right, and the bolded text is exactly why I think UNC should be more competitive as a team in the ACC. There are no penn states, Iowa, etc. to compete with. There’s not a reason why 4 (arguably 5 if you want to throw in the revolving door at 133) weight classes should be uncompetitive in the ACC. The reason why UNC does well in the metric you provided is because of O’Connor if we really want to get right down to it. His points for being a national champion move UNC from finishing in the 20-30 range to finishing 12th. Unc was 6-9 in duals last year and lost to App State for the first time in program history. They also lost 21-11 to Pitt. I’m not sure how one can argue from a team standpoint everything is in ok shape. UNC *heavily* supports non-revenue sports so I don’t believe it’s a university support issue. 

You need coach's who are very proficient with transfer portal and the NIL phenomena. In addition to a dozen other things.

• Fire 1

UNC just matriculated a two time champ/4x AA. Something tells me that isn’t going to hurt recruiting. Scott left the cupboard in good shape and Ramos is going to do great things. He is the coaching steal of the decade.

Lol Cunningham isn’t giving up training world champions to coach at UNC

Kolat would be fine, probably a notch below where UNC is today to be honest. But Ramos is already there. If they do him dirty then he’s probably gone and that recruiting pipeline is going to dry up real quick. I heard he doesn’t mess with double-crossing liars.

• Fire 4
  • Confused 1

Lol Cunningham isn’t giving up training world champions to coach at UNC
Kolat would be fine, probably a notch below where UNC is today to be honest. But Ramos is already there. If they do him dirty then he’s probably gone and that recruiting pipeline is going to dry up real quick. I heard he doesn’t mess with double-crossing liars.

Correct.

If he didn’t take the Michigan job, as rumored, he’s not going to UNC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk