Jump to content

For Music Fans and Music Buffs


Recommended Posts

If you follow the strict guidelines, you'll find this a harder exercise than you think.  I still have only selected one, but second guess it all of the time.

My son asked me last weekend, as he does many other music fans , that if there was a Mount Rushmore of musicians, which four musicians should be on it?

Criteria to consider (which is what makes it so tough):

  • Individuals, no bands.
  • Your consideration must include everything:  talent, impact on music, impact on the world, etc.
  • Can (and should) include any style of music.

He dropped it on a bunch of us at a family gathering last weekend.  No one came up with all four at once, but here were some smattering of names mentioned at the gathering.  Beethoven, Prince (what?!), Joni Mitchell (what?!), Bob Dylan, Ozzy Osbourne, Michael Jackson, Shania Twain (what?!), John Lennon, and Paul McCartney.

My one and only pick, influenced by my other son, is Bob Dylan, but I question it every day.

 

  • Fire 1

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll keep adding if and when I come up with more, but, for now, I will commit to these two.  That's all that I have for now.

1.  Bob Dylan

2.  Elvis

 

Edited by Ban Basketball

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

On a lighter note than some recent threads, I like this one...

  • Willie Nelson
  • Elvis
  • Hendrix
  • Aretha

Dylan is runner-up

How the heck did several members of my family, myself included, NOT think of Elvis!?  He's immediately #2 for me.

And, most surprisingly, I'm not even remotely an Elvis fan.  Never listen to him.

Edited by Ban Basketball
  • Fire 1

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmmm... have to admit, this is actually quite a bit harder than I thought it would be (you were right.)

Here's my updated Rushmore list:

  • Johnny Cash
  • Elvis (I'm not a big fan either, but some of my family are huge fans.)
  • Aretha Franklin
  • Jim Morrison

I'm sure I'll want to change it tomorrow.

 

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My youngest son is the one that poses this question to music fans, and he has finally added a third to his list.  

Forever, he had Ozzy and Michael Jackson only.  After this morning, when he and I discussed, Elvis, he now has a third (and he loathes Elvis).

I have several reservations with this exercise, but one that I can't escape is how I am very ignorant of classical and jazz styles of music.  I just KNOW that I'm not doing this justice by not taking into account these styles, particularly classical music.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting that Brahms, Beethoven, Handel, Mozart etc are not on the list.   Not that I like classical music but their genius is almost beyond compare.   Or is this an exercise about modern english speaking musicians?  If the latter:

Jimmy Page

Eric Clapton

Elton John

Carol King

mspart

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mspart said:

Interesting that Brahms, Beethoven, Handel, Mozart etc are not on the list.   Not that I like classical music but their genius is almost beyond compare.   Or is this an exercise about modern english speaking musicians?  If the latter:

Jimmy Page

Eric Clapton

Elton John

Carol King

mspart

I agree with you, and why I am reluctant to actually attempt to do this exercise.  I KNOW I'm probable dead wrong, as I'm not even considering classical and other styles of music.  I don't know enough about it to put any of those names "up there" and I just know that my list isn't really going to be accurate.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/14/2023 at 12:51 PM, mspart said:

Interesting that Brahms, Beethoven, Handel, Mozart etc are not on the list.   Not that I like classical music but their genius is almost beyond compare.

Note that an earlier post:

On 8/12/2023 at 12:11 AM, Ban Basketball said:

Criteria to consider (which is what makes it so tough):

  • Individuals, no bands.
  • Your consideration must include everything:  talent, impact on music, impact on the world, etc.
  • Can (and should) include any style of music.

None of the classical greats qualify as "individuals"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Note that an earlier post:

None of the classical greats qualify as "individuals"

Didn't they compose the pieces?

  • Fire 1

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

Didn't they compose the pieces?

Tough call.

If it's an "Individuals, no bands" situation - then it would seem to also be a "no orchestras" situation.

Even if the leader of the band (yes, I snuck in Dan Fogelberg there) composed everything - seems like the band is still not qualified. But what if the band's songs were all written by somebody not in the band?

This game is tricky. You can't name a band for a face on Mount Rushmore. Doesn't mean you can't name the key person in a band... or as part of an orchestra. Or someone not even in the band. That 'criteria' could be interpreted in different ways.

Way more difficult than meets the eye - this is about as difficult as naming the Hodge Trophy winner.

 

  • Fire 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Tough call.

If it's an "Individuals, no bands" situation - then it would seem to also be a "no orchestras" situation.

Even if the leader of the band (yes, I snuck in Dan Fogelberg there) composed everything - seems like the band is still not qualified. But what if the band's songs were all written by somebody not in the band?

This game is tricky. You can't name a band for a face on Mount Rushmore. Doesn't mean you can't name the key person in a band... or as part of an orchestra. Or someone not even in the band. That 'criteria' could be interpreted in different ways.

Way more difficult than meets the eye - this is about as difficult as naming the Hodge Trophy winner.

 

We should have a separate category for just bands to be fair.

  • Fire 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Latest Rankings

  • College Commitments

    Caio Aron

    College Park, Texas
    Class of 2025
    Committed to California Baptist
    Projected Weight: 133, 141

    Jeff Lopez

    Clovis West, California
    Class of 2025
    Committed to Oregon State
    Projected Weight: 141

    Colin Kelly

    Mount Carmel, Illinois
    Class of 2024
    Committed to Illinois
    Projected Weight: 174

    Connor Wetzel

    Shikellamy, Pennsylvania
    Class of 2025
    Committed to Lock Haven
    Projected Weight: 174, 184

    Max Brady

    Mariner, Florida
    Class of 2025
    Committed to Campbell
    Projected Weight: 141
×
×
  • Create New...