Conference realignment

CoachC

With the PAC 12 dissolving for football, Oregon St and Stanford could lose big television money, even if they get picked up by the Mtn West Conference, which has a significantly lesser payday than what the PAC 12 had. If they become an Independent, it could even cost them more athletic department money. I say this, because if there is less money, schools look to chop programs. I hope this doesn't screw wrestling, but I have a bad feeling that it might.

• Fire 3

The perceived payday that the PAC schools were going to receive was around $20 million.  Not only was that too low, members feared it might end up being lower on the subscription based plan. 

Mountain West distributed some $80 million this last year.  Under $7 million per.  Early estimates come in at ~$10-12 milion if the four fold in the the MWest.  That is a significant drop.

I think both will be fine for wrestling and can possibly get in to the B12 as partial members in the short term.

Stanford is probably fine either way as their endowment is not tied to their athletic department specifically.  Oregon State needs some serious help, though.

Cal State - Baptist might be screwed as a D1 program, though.  The B12 won't take them.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

the commish was delaying the release of the tv deal to keep people from having options, in my opinion.

you knew, that once he said apple tv that it was over.

the b12 courted the pac12 to create a super conference.

I have heard: the pac12 balked, b/c the big12 had schools with religious affiliation.

• Fire 1
  • Clown 1

1 minute ago, Scouts Honor said:

the commish was delaying the release of the tv deal to keep people from having options, in my opinion.

you knew, that once he said apple tv that it was over.

the b12 courted the pac12 to create a super conference.

I have heard: the pac12 balked, b/c the big12 had schools with religious affiliation.

I thought it was the other way?

In that case Cal Baptist is fine.

5 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Cal State - Baptist might be screwed as a D1 program, though.  The B12 won't take them.

I had this backwards btw.  SAFE

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

why would the b12 have problems with religious schools? they have byu and tcu...

Had it backwards, mate.

Also, Cal Baptist is already in the B12.

Edited by nhs67

14 minutes ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

I'm deleting my response upon seeing your self-correction.  

Is there a way to delete a post such as this?  I don't see it.   Ah well. 

Bob says you shouldv've thought about that before you posted..  You have to bribe Bob with ten bags of sunflower seeds.  😞

Edited by ionel
  • Fire 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, nhs67 said:

The perceived payday that the PAC schools were going to receive was around $20 million.  Not only was that too low, members feared it might end up being lower on the subscription based plan. 

Mountain West distributed some $80 million this last year.  Under $7 million per.  Early estimates come in at ~$10-12 milion if the four fold in the the MWest.  That is a significant drop.

I think both will be fine for wrestling and can possibly get in to the B12 as partial members in the short term.

Stanford is probably fine either way as their endowment is not tied to their athletic department specifically.  Oregon State needs some serious help, though.

Edited by TexRef