2024 President Candidate Discussion

jross

We’re getting really terrible at staying on topic on these threads… we should probably just have one thread and post everything on it like some sort of stream of consciousness exercise.

2 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

Speaking of policies, apparently Desantis has signed on to a plan to greatly expand wind and solar power generation in Florida, sending billions to China, and increasing electric bills three or four times what they are now.  

How do you get from "expand wind and solar power generation" to "sending billions to China, and increasing electric bills three or four times what they are now"?

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

How do you get from "expand wind and solar power generation" to "sending billions to China, and increasing electric bills three or four times what they are now"?

You start by blindly spewing whatever misinformation the media is trying to throw at you.

The Desantis solar power story is from April of 2022 (but I can see why MAGA is bringing it up now).  The bill was passed by both the republican house and senate, but vetoed by Desantis.  The bill was intended to eliminate net metering, which allows solar customers money back from power that comes from their rooftop solar panels.

7 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

Because so many of the components of wind and solar are only available in any quantity from China.  And wind and solar are so inefficient that to pay for it all will require that much more money.  They are not my calculations.  

I think a lot of solar panels are sourced from China (not unlike the technology you used to type your response), but wind infrastructure comes from Denmark, Germany and the US.

As for inefficiency, I am guessing that is very hard to agree on the right measure. What are the calculations you are referencing?

40 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

I've been sorta interested in looking into solar panels for the roof.  But heard it is extremely expensive and may not be as cost effective as one would think...but like I said, I need to look into it more.

One thing to consider.  Yes, I jokingly have been saying this, but, as it turned out, it ended up kind of being true.

I've wondered since seeing my first solar panel on a rook how they eventually replace shingles.  My joking way of saying it was that years later the people involved in both industries (roofers and solar panel companies) will suddenly realize, "oops, one BIG thing we all kind of overlooked:  how do you replace shingles?!"

I never could find out online, but, as I suspected, I spoke to a guy who installs solar panels and his quick and easy answer for me was, "you can't replace them, once the panels are in."  Apparently, that's why most who install them have a metal roof installed  then install the panels.

HOWEVER, another problem that I always brought up with those, to which no one disagrees:  metal fades, so those metal rooks, many years down the road, are going to look ugly, like old steel and aluminum siding eventually does.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

7 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

One thing to consider.  Yes, I jokingly have been saying this, but, as it turned out, it ended up kind of being true.

I've wondered since seeing my first solar panel on a rook how they eventually replace shingles.  My joking way of saying it was that years later the people involved in both industries (roofers and solar panel companies) will suddenly realize, "oops, one BIG thing we all kind of overlooked:  how do you replace shingles?!"

I never could find out online, but, as I suspected, I spoke to a guy who installs solar panels and his quick and easy answer for me was, "you can't replace them, once the panels are in."  Apparently, that's why most who install them have a metal roof installed  then install the panels.

HOWEVER, another problem that I always brought up with those, to which no one disagrees:  metal fades, so those metal rooks, many years down the road, are going to look ugly, like old steel and aluminum siding eventually does.

Hurricane damage is an issue too. Sister in law has panels get hit and she’s having a problem settling that. Don’t really know the details just know it’s an issue for her. 

17 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

I always wondered about shingle replacement, too. My assumption is the sales person for the solar panels is not interested in what happens years down the line and will not offer information if not asked or will deflect if asked.

The other issue I found out about recently is weight. I just finished building a house and was considering solar panels. The architect needed to know early in the process so that he could design the roof to handle the incremental weight. In talking to the builder he confirmed that no one thinks or cares about that in retrofit applications.

Like all things home improvement, I assume you are swimming with the sharks on this stuff.

• Fire 1

30 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

Shingles and solar panels last about the same length of time, so you just replace them both at the same time. 

Really!?  I didn't know that solar panels had a "shelf life."  Given their cost, one would have to do some serious math to see if it really pays off in the end.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

12 minutes ago, jross said:

Shingles for President 2024

This is his campaign headquarters!  just down the street from my home.

AMVETS Post 49

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, jross said:

Shingles for President 2024

19 hours ago, Ban Basketball said:

This is his campaign headquarters!  just down the street from my home.

AMVETS Post 49

I dunno, but from what I heard...

shingrix-shingles-doesnt-care-large-3.jp

D3

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

1 minute ago, Bigbrog said:

I literally thought of this exact commercial when I read the first post about shingles on this thread...LOL

Yep... so did I.

D3

• Haha 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.