New d1 Program?

d3grappler

So, yes. 
And of course there's a fundraising figure that has to be met. That goes without saying. So why did you?
We've had good luck, recently, with new D1 programs in states without any. Texas would be the crown jewel of that group, for sure. But instead of dancing around the edge by saying, 'I hear' this or that. Point us to resources so that we can help with the raising of funds. Why are you keeping this a secret? 

I answered your question to the best of my knowledge. You asked there still isn’t D1 wrestling in Texas. I gave you the reason why this hasn’t yet been announced.

I can’t give you a place to go because I haven’t been told a place to go to contribute.

giphy.gif

Insert catchy tagline here. 

57 minutes ago, Gus said:

Brookings, SD population 23,000

Yes, it can be done at small towns that are in traditional wrestling states. Texas unfortunately is not one of those states. 

I bet there are HS teams in Brookings and Ithaca. There is not a single HS program in Stephenville. They might be an hour away from the nearest HS program. 

2 hours ago, TwoPointsTakeDown84 said:

So, to confirm, still no D1 wrestling programs in Texas? 

At this time, there are currently no D1 wrestling programs (for men or women) in Texas. 

There is only 1 D2 women's program in Texas. 

• Fire 1

14 hours ago, TexRef said:

Yes, the University of Texas had wrestling. It was many many moons ago. UT even beat Oklahoma A & M in a dual, two years in a row! I want to say that was back in the 1920's. 

Cowboy wrestling extends back to 1914–15 when A.M. Colville led the first team at what was then Oklahoma A&M. That team lost the school's first dual meet to Texas. 

• Fire 1
  • Stalling 1

36 minutes ago, ionel said:

Cowboy wrestling extends back to 1914–15 when A.M. Colville led the first team at what was then Oklahoma A&M. That team lost the school's first dual meet to Texas. 

So Ok State has never beaten Texas is what you are saying? That's embarrassing. 

• Haha 2

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

So Ok State has never beaten Texas is what you are saying? That's embarrassing. 

I'm just saying they lost the first year under Colville.  Gallagher took over the next year and he did very well as head coach so betting he beat Texas multiple times but wrestling stats doesn't go back that far.

In twenty-three years Gallagher's Cowboys gave him 138 dual victories against just five losses and four ties, for a . 925 percentage

On 6/22/2023 at 12:28 AM, boconnell said:

They've been going to Kearney, Nebraska and Edmund, Oklahoma and Longview, Texas and other places like that for a long time.  Texas kids don't get much choice if they want to wrestle at the next level.  I don't think they'll be very good, but an inability to attract Texas kids won't be a negative for them.  

What's in Longview, Texas nowadays?   LeTorneau U.?   Unfortunately they dropped their program back during the 1980s.   They'd consider reinstating if there were more teams in their conference or at least their region of Texas with which to compete.   

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

What's in Longview, Texas nowadays?   LeTorneau U.?   Unfortunately they dropped their program back during the 1980s.   They'd consider reinstating if there were more teams in their conference or at least their region of Texas with which to compete.   

I think there is a decent bbq place in Longview. How was the program at LeTorneau?

If I had a magic wand to create D1 teams, I would go Georgia Tech (Georgia has really good hs wrestling) and Florida State (Florida has some elite teams, though probably not the depth that Ga has). These teams wouldn't have to travel that far to get duals since NC has a ton of D1 teams. The ACC only has 6 teams, so adding two more would make it easier for the ACC tournament. 

On top of that, Georgia Tech is an elite academic school.

• Fire 2

2 minutes ago, CoachC said:

If I had a magic wand to create D1 teams, I would go Georgia Tech (Georgia has really good hs wrestling) and Florida State (Florida has some elite teams, though probably not the depth that Ga has). These teams wouldn't have to travel that far to get duals since NC has a ton of D1 teams. The ACC only has 6 teams, so adding two more would make it easier for the ACC tournament. 

And Georgia Tech is a very male-heavy institution as well (mentioning for Title IX reasons)

• Fire 2

12 hours ago, CoachC said:

Princeton Review recently ranked Ga. Tech. #1 in the nation in terms of the best value for public universities:

https://www.princetonreview.com/college-rankings?rankings=top-50-best-value-colleges-public-schools

On 6/22/2023 at 11:20 PM, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Plainview.  I lived in the panhandle briefly, so I should have known the difference.

• Fire 1

Kinda related to that, why the heck don’t any of the UC system have programs? Southern california and Austin seem to be developing into the mecca’s of Jiu jitsu globally.  That much cauliflower ear in town and we can’t swing teams in those cities?

On 6/22/2023 at 12:38 AM, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Ithaca, NY has a population of around 31,000.   Charlottesville, Va. has one of around 45,000.    Both have significant NCAA D1 presences though.   

Texans are hungry for college wrestling programs.   Schreiner U.'s roster is quite healthy for an NCAA D3 program that's less than a decade old.  Kerrville, TX has a population of around 25,000.   Meanwhile Wayland Baptist U. up in Plainville, TX does well for an NAIA program.  Plainview's population is around 24,000.   

Population of Ithaca is meaningless.  Kyle Dake grew up 15 minutes from Cornell.  Yianni grew up about an hour away.  The PA border is an hour away from Cornell.  World class academics at Cornell.  On the other hand, a community college 20 minutes away if needed.

• Fire 1

Kinda related to that, why the heck don’t any of the UC system have programs? Southern california and Austin seem to be developing into the mecca’s of Jiu jitsu globally.  That much cauliflower ear in town and we can’t swing teams in those cities?

A while back was some speculation that the B1G might require/force UCLA and USC to field wrestling teams.

If they could get a big name coach, both of those schools would be an easy sell for kids from CA and AZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A while back was some speculation that the B1G might require/force UCLA and USC to field wrestling teams.

If they could get a big name coach, both of those schools would be an easy sell for kids from CA and AZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was an oft-quoted myth that the Big Ten required wrestling for membership. That speculation wasn’t rooted in anything factual, unfortunately.

The only conference that requires wrestling for full all-sports membership is the Division III American Rivers Conference (formerly known as the Iowa Conference)
  • Fire 1

Insert catchy tagline here. 

Every STATE University should have a program. If a system, the premier School should have it, if not more of them.

That a State like Texas fails to have Longhorn Wrestling is shameful. Don't know of Bo would have bee quite as good wrestling for them but forcing all those kids to go away is not good.

Then we have Florida. Are gators GirlyMen afraid to roll around on the mats?

• Fire 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

6 hours ago, AgaveMaria said:

Then we have Florida. Are gators GirlyMen afraid to roll around on the mats?

I like, I mean love the idea...but it's worth noting that I seem to recall that the SEC only requires a school to have somewhere around 7 male sports, along with the corresponding equivalent for females...   That's among the lowest quantity in the entire national D1 circuit, right?    Meanwhile it's an equation which can mean the existence of more female programs than what men have if roster counts are low for the women.   That said, Florida's got travel expense & logistics issues.   Most teams drive most of the time, and they have to go a long way just to get outta Florida.   Then it takes a while to reach Arkansas, Oklahoma, Tennessee or North Carolina where most (if not all?) of the nearest D1 competition is.   But what if various SEC schools added wrestling simultaneously?   Then wrestling would be back in business in the SEC...  Here's a discussion of what the SEC used to have going for it on the wrestling front before they dropped the sport:

http://johnnythompsonnum1.blogspot.com/2017/09/solving-mystery-that-was-sec.html

That said, here are the decision-makers within the SEC organization itself:

https://www.secsports.com/article/11285694

They now have two wrestling programs (Oklahoma's Sooners & Mizzou's Tigers).   Any thoughts?