Does Ben Askren need help?

BlacknGold

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

They aren't contradictions.

NIL the way it is working now is that yes... these kids are getting paid... at certain schools or in certain situations.

The Penn States, the Michigans, the Iowas... these schools can pay out the ass.  In fact they can pay more than what these kids are actually worth.

What he wants and is asking for is a standard system in which every kid gets what they're worth, not just the kids that are justifiably exploiting the system as it is currently designed.

Are the schools paying these kids directly?  I didn’t think that was how it worked.  

15 minutes ago, ionel said:

This is a good example but I'd say its not image & likeness. These donors are not paying for image and likeness value they are just trying to buy a team which they were trying to do 30/50 years ago.  It was against the NCAA rules then and still is but now the NCAA can not really do anything about it.

Previously this was either criminalized or the money went to the very wealthy institutions.  Now the money goes to the labor who are responsible for the actual product I watch, which I'm fine with.

• Fire 1

36 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Previously this was either criminalized or the money went to the very wealthy institutions.  Now the money goes to the labor who are responsible for the actual product I watch, which I'm fine with.

No the money went to buying a kid a car or paying him for a summer job where he didn't have to show up for or cash on a recruiting visit or pay the parents directly.  It didn't go to the university.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

You guys want to change rules, create limitations, or attack resources. Doesn't sound like you want student-athletes to get paid what they're worth. Cut the act

I think college wrestlers should have to pay for the privilege to wrestle… the better the team, the more they have to pay. For example, a PSU wrestler would have to pay $100k/year, and, when scaling it for success, an Iowa wrestler might have to pay about $5-10k/year.

50 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

You guys want to change rules, create limitations, or attack resources. Doesn't sound like you want student-athletes to get paid what they're worth. Cut the act

I will ask you again, do you know why pro-sports have salary caps, revenue sharing, tax penalties and competitive balance? 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

2 hours ago, Caveira said:

Are the schools paying these kids directly?  I didn’t think that was how it worked.  

I mean... no...(yes)...

• Haha 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

54 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

I don't care what you ask me and I don't agree lol. Let the kids get payed

That's because you are ignorant and don't know the answer because you fail to see the big picture.   You pretend to care about the kids and keep using them as your answer, but in reality you only care that Iowa has a lot of money to pay kids and buy your team. 

8 minutes ago, Idaho said:

That's because you are ignorant and don't know the answer because you fail to see the big picture.   You pretend to care about the kids and keep using them as your answer, but in reality you only care that Iowa has a lot of money to pay kids and buy your team. 

LOL or maybe I just don't agree with you 

56 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

@Idaho This is you

cry baby GIF

That isn't him.

By definition, he is correct.  You are ignorant to the processes and politix of it all.

I wouldn't take that as an insult.  What it actually means is that you simply just do not factually know.

95%+ of the gents here are also ignorant on the subject.

• Fire 2

11 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

I know all about it and disagree buddy. I started the thread in the first place

Pay the athletes and don't touch free market

True free market would be allowing the schools and coaches to also charge the wrestlers whatever they feel is commensurate for allowing them to be part of a top program and get top coaching. Why should the wrestlers be the only ones allowed free rein to make money? Obviously Cael could charge much more than Brands for his coaching prowess, so it might be a windfall for you and your program, B&G.

7 minutes ago, DJT said:

True free market would be allowing the schools and coaches to also charge the wrestlers whatever they feel is commensurate for allowing them to be part of a top program and get top coaching. Why should the wrestlers be the only ones allowed free rein to make money? Obviously Cael could charge much more than Brands for his coaching prowess, so it might be a windfall for you and your program, B&G.

Isn’t the out of state tuition at PSU somewhere around $50k a year these days?

When NIL was passed there was a privision that the athlete could not be paid above the going rate for the service (though I do not recall the exact wording). For example, the local car dealership couldn't pay $100k for doing a commercial if they normally paid (see what I did there @BlacknGold) $5k.

I have no idea how the NCAA could even determine a norm for an athlete vs. a bit part, commercial actor, so it always seemed unenforceable to me. But it felt to me that this was their attempt to provide themselves some future enforcement muscle if the pendulum of power ever swung back their way, as unlikely as that is to happen.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

44 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

I know all about it and disagree buddy. I started the thread in the first place

What does that have to do with the facts of NIL and backdoor agreements?

Starting threads and knowing more than two shits about the topic do not go hand in hand.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Isn’t the out of state tuition at PSU somewhere around $50k a year these days?

Nah… not every science geek gets to be coached by Carl Sanderson. B&G keeps going on about letting it be true free market capitalism, and I’m just agreeing with him.

Just now, nhs67 said:

What does that have to do with the facts of NIL and backdoor agreements?

Starting threads and knowing more than two shits about the topic do not go hand in hand.

Well we do have Jimmy Cinny2 who starts a lot of threads. 

22 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

When NIL was passed there was a privision that the athlete could not be paid above the going rate for the service (though I do not recall the exact wording). For example, the local car dealership couldn't pay $100k for doing a commercial if they normally paid (see what I did there @BlacknGold) $5k.

Yes and I disagree with limiting their pay...

I think a lot of you need help like Ben does 

23 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I have no idea how the NCAA could even determine a norm for an athlete vs. a bit part, commercial actor, so it always seemed unenforceable to me. But it felt to me that this was their attempt to provide themselves some future enforcement muscle if the pendulum of power ever swung back their way, as unlikely as that is to happen.

Well ... what's the market rate for showing up at a five year old's birthday party?  If there is no market data maybe $100k is reasonable.  And we can't compare it to the $100 you'd normally pay a clown, cause clowns are scary.  

• Haha 1

Just now, BlacknGold said:

Yes and I disagree with limiting their pay...

I think a lot of you need help like Ben does 

We need help?

You are the one clearly running around with your panties in a twist - letting your emotions fuel very stoopid takes... like... all the time.  My 12 year old Granddaughter is 95% more emotionally stable than you 85% of the time.  It's equal parts embarrassing and cringe.

Nobody has even said the kids don't deserve to get paid.  In fact the post you are replying to from WKN has zero opinion in it.  He is telling you what was (is) factual.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, DJT said:

Nah… not every science geek gets to be coached by Carl Sanderson. B&G keeps going on about letting it be true free market capitalism, and I’m just agreeing with him.

They kinda do.  PSU had a guy on their roster a couple years ago who didn’t even qualify for states (yes, it’s “states”) in NJ