Koll calling it like it is…

Idaho

“ I don’t need to dip into the portal because we won’t lose guys,” Koll said. “I’m building a team, not buying a team like the Penn State, Iowa, and Michigan models.”

• Fire 4

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

16 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Koll doesn't purchase teams!  Now he himself is obviously for sale, but...

Is listening to an offer as the coach,  but turning it down , different?

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Does Stanford eschew the use of NIL?

Not sure, but according to the article they have things in place to help keep kids around. I imagine it’s definitely harder to transfer into Stanford than other places. 

17 minutes ago, feet2back said:

Im sure its a lot harder getting recruits to Stanford then it was to "Ivy League" Cornell and their Junior College

Stanford’s transfer rate for acceptance is between 1.15% and 1.17%. Their options are very limited with the portal  

Where Stanford fits into all of this is debatable, but he's dead on about other schools buying talent.  

And if they're going to allow college athletes to get paid like professionals, then they need salary caps like the pros have.  Otherwise, teams are just going to buy their way onto the podium, the separation between the haves and have not's is going to grow, programs are going to die because of it, and the sport as a whole will suffer.

• Fire 4

2 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

Where Stanford fits into all of this is debatable, but he's dead on about other schools buying talent.  

And if they're going to allow college athletes to get paid like professionals, then they need salary caps like the pros have.  Otherwise, teams are just going to buy their way onto the podium, the separation between the haves and have not's is going to grow, programs are going to die because of it, and the sport as a whole will suffer.

Pros have salary caps but pro athletes still get endorsement deals. How do.you put a cap on what Samples used cars want to pay Sniffy Smith for posing with a used Edsel?

1 hour ago, Alces Alces Gigas said:

Pros have salary caps but pro athletes still get endorsement deals. How do.you put a cap on what Samples used cars want to pay Sniffy Smith for posing with a used Edsel?

Incoming freshmen who haven't been to 1 day of class or endorsed a single item are getting paid to come to a university.  That's getting paid to play.  Period.

God I hated Koll with every fiber of my soul for about 10 minutes or so at one time…. His guy, Max Dean wrestled UNI’s Drew Foster in the NCAA finals. Drew grew up down the road a few miles from us and was on the same rural bus route and not only that, but he began wrestling for my dad’s club as a Kindergartner and was coached by my dad all the way through HS. Standup guy and Our community loves him from his heroics in wrestling AND football (crazy football story about him). Not to mention, he was always just a great kid to have as a leader in the community… all about helping everyone else. Anyways, Koll was interviewed right before the Foster-Dean finals match and was disrespectful as hell in the way he talked about Drew. Mentioned that he was only athletic for a minute and a half or so before getting tired…. In which as a guy who watched Drew wrestle probably 500 times since he was little, I can state with certainty that Koll had Drew pegged wrong there and I don’t care how their earlier matches went. I saw Drew grind out several late match wins with his gas tank at the youth, HS and college level. My goodness, at my town’s watch party we were foaming at the mouth, we were so irate with Koll after that interview and we all let go of this grudge a few minutes later when Drew won the match…. HA! 

Other than that one interview, I’ve liked Koll and think he is pretty interesting… love it when a spade calls a spade a spade even if that spade is actually a club at times. 

13 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

Please don’t mock me for asking, but why don’t kids have to commit more to a school when they get scholarship money?  I am sure it would not be allowed, but I wish that when kids sign on to school it was like a 4 year contract with out clauses for extenuating circumstances.  Or at least some restrictions like if you leave you have to give back your scholarship money…..

58 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Nico Provo? Others?

Where was Nico previous to Stanford?  Dom Lajoie is the only one I can think of that has transferred in and it's doubtful he is getting NIL money. 

7 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Where was Nico previous to Stanford?  Dom Lajoie is the only one I can think of that has transferred in and it's doubtful he is getting NIL money. 

Committed to Cornell.  Switched commitment that summer that Koll left.

https://www.gfacademy.org/athletics/dragon-nation-blog/single-post-dragon-nation/~board/dragon-nation-blog/post/provo-wrestles-with-a-tough-decision-takes-talents-to-stanford

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

17 minutes ago, Hillbilly Jim said:

Please don’t mock me for asking, but why don’t kids have to commit more to a school when they get scholarship money?  I am sure it would not be allowed, but I wish that when kids sign on to school it was like a 4 year contract with out clauses for extenuating circumstances.  Or at least some restrictions like if you leave you have to give back your scholarship money…..

I may be in the minority on this, but I agree with this sentiment after all the changes that have come recently. When the transfer portal became a thing, I thought it was a good thing for college athletes to be able to move freely if something changed with their situation at their previous school. It is when the NIL became legal that now I feel we should have one or the other. If an athlete gets paid that's great, but they should be locked in for a duration at that point IMO. I realize there are probably several good arguments against this...just my knee jerk reaction. 

• Fire 1

Joey McKenna and Real Woods called and would like to have a word. 

Oh, this is not a Stanford thing just a Rob Koll thing? Same Rob Koll that was STRONGLY rumored to be leaving Cornell for PSU b4 Sanderson nudged him aside. Same Rob Koll that left Cornell for Stanford? That Rob Koll? 

Just now, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Committed to Cornell.  Switched commitment that summer that Koll left.

IMO guys from the former school who followed the coach that recruited them is a different story than paying out guys in NIL deals to transfer. I wouldn't blame someone for following the coach that recruited them ... buying  a team with NIL is different.