Honest Opinions for 2023-2024 - Your Team Edition

nhs67

8 hours ago, The_KC_Godfather said:

Did you see him wrestle Nolf at the US Open? Think he's beating Dake? I know Keegan wants to be an Olympian, but I don't think this is the cycle where he's doing it.

My post was to generate a discussion on the best team Mizzou could put on the mat. IF KOT was able to get to 157 (6lbs less than he wrestled at the US Open), he could potentially dominate the field and have no challengers on the way to another title. If Mocco could drop as well, it helps the log jam at 184 (somebody said Harman is a 174). The question would be...who is more competitive and can score more team points? Our 157's or 174's.

For convo sakes let’s play it out. 
KOT points are a wash. He’s the favorite at 165, but there are land mines. He would be a huge favorite at 157. Mocco would be lucky to AA at 165 and I like him a lot, but Carr, Messenbrink, Sugar Shane, Amine, Karchula, Hamati all above Mocco. Harmon could low AA as 174, which is exactly what Mocco has done. Seems to be a wash either way we look at it. Not gaining but sure could lose some if there isn’t a Mizzou AA at 165. We had 4 AA’s last year, not great but improvement can be made. Edmonds, Seltzer, Surtin and whoever  man’s 184 could score more points next year vs this year. At 133 all that takes is one win. So if the 4 AAs hold serve +or- a couple points, realistically we could add enough to trophy hunt without much bonus. 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, MizzouFan01 said:

KOT points are a wash. He’s the favorite at 165, but there are land mines. He would be a huge favorite at 157. Mocco would be lucky to AA at 165 and I like him a lot, but Carr, Messenbrink, Sugar Shane, Amine, Karchula, Hamati all above Mocco. Harmon could low AA as 174, which is exactly what Mocco has done. Seems to be a wash either way we look at it. Not gaining but sure could lose some if there isn’t a Mizzou AA at 165. We had 4 AA’s last year, not great but improvement can be made. Edmonds, Seltzer, Surtin and whoever  man’s 184 could score more points next year vs this year. At 133 all that takes is one win. So if the 4 AAs hold serve +or- a couple points, realistically we could add enough to trophy hunt without much bonus. 

Great points and what I was looking for when I posted. I hadn’t thought about it that way and agree with you (other than that we had 5 AA’s instead of 4 🙂 )

I am really curious to see how both Seltzer and Edmond do this next year. I feel like Surtin is right there for a podium finish if he can just peak at the right time, and hopefully Mauller can make the third or even fifth place match to get a few more points than this last year. The interview where he said something like “if I get to my offense nobody can stop me”…hopefully he turns that on this year and he’ll get there.

If we can push for bonus, we’re definitely a trophy team.

Edited by The_KC_Godfather
  • Fire 2

23 hours ago, TylerDurden said:

I'm curious as to what makes you think Woods would win four out of five against Alirez. Woods is very good, but after rewatching that NCAA match, I don't see anything that makes me think he's winning 80% of the time in that matchup. 

To the larger point about the Iowa lineup, Woods and Cassioppi are the two guys I'm counting as locks for AA. Brands likely gets there again, but I don't think he's a sure thing based on his style and the guys returning at 174. Everything else is a question mark on some level. Talented guys, for sure, but they have their work cut out for them to get on the podium. 

Just a casual impression of a casual fan - not studied particulary.  I assume many other posters got to see many more matches of these guys than I did.  

15 hours ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Not sure I put Hamati oer Mocco at this time, I think Hamati might have been better as a freshman and has no one to really push him, the rest I probably could agree wth

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Ivan Stankowski said:

Not sure I put Hamati oer Mocco at this time, I think Hamati might have been better as a freshman and has no one to really push him, the rest I probably could agree wth

Makes sense. It was based on Hamati being a two time AA at a much tougher weight. 

• Fire 1

I watched Mocco beat Carr at Lindenwood Open, might have been called Parisi Open then.  Both were true freshmen.  I think the score was 9-8.  Also last match of the year for Mocco because in 3rd period he had his knee trashed and had to have surgery.

2 hours ago, Wrestej said:

I watched Mocco beat Carr at Lindenwood Open, might have been called Parisi Open then.  Both were true freshmen.  I think the score was 9-8.  Also last match of the year for Mocco because in 3rd period he had his knee trashed and had to have surgery.

Lindenwood, i grew up 15 min from there. Ive seen lots of great matches over there. Honestly can’t wait to see how they do once they are fully D1. Still not sure which conference they will join. I would imagine the next couple recruiting classes will give us a hint as to how they room will look. 

• Fire 3

36 minutes ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Lindenwood, i grew up 15 min from there. Ive seen lots of great matches over there. Honestly can’t wait to see how they do once they are fully D1. Still not sure which conference they will join. I would imagine the next couple recruiting classes will give us a hint as to how they room will look. 

I’m a born and raised St. Charles boy.  I can remember when lindenwood used to be two old buildings and an old water tower.  Lindenwood started out an etiquette school for girls, that’s why all the giant house across the street, sororities.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, Wrestej said:

I’m a born and raised St. Charles boy.  I can remember when lindenwood used to be two old buildings and an old water tower.  Lindenwood started out an etiquette school for girls, that’s why all the giant house across the street, sororities.

I remember that as well. I’m young-ish, I’m 40. FHC wrestler and grad in 2001. Not born and raised, but we moved to Mo from Georgia when I was in second grade. The GAC produced some of the best wrestler to ever come from MO. 

• Fire 4

2 hours ago, MizzouFan01 said:

They were competitive with Bellarmine this year, coming down to the last match. With both programs transitioning to D1, good measuring stick.

I’m a fan of Lindenwood, I went to Lindenwood-Belleville when it was still a thing

• Fire 4

On 5/23/2023 at 1:30 PM, Ivan Stankowski said:

I'm rather in agreement here and more because I think Mocco would do hellacious damage at 165 (and especially 157 were he to be able to properly descend there).  Think like Robb at 157 after he dropped from 165.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

• 2 weeks later...

125: Anthony Noto - AA

133: Gable Strickland- NQ

141: Wyatt Henson - NQ

149: Nick Stonecheck - NQ

157: Eric Alderfer 

165: Avery Bassett- NQ

174: Tyler Stoltzfus - NQ

184: Colin Fegley

197: Brad Morrison

285: Isaac Reid - NQ

This is my Lock Haven prediction which includes one AA and seven NQs

• Fire 2

7 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

125: Anthony Noto - AA

133: Gable Strickland- NQ

141: Wyatt Henson - NQ

149: Nick Stonecheck - NQ

157: Eric Alderfer 

165: Avery Bassett- NQ

174: Tyler Stoltzfus - NQ

184: Colin Fegley

197: Brad Morrison

285: Isaac Reid - NQ

This is my Lock Haven prediction which includes one AA and seven NQs

I think Strickland redshirts and heads up to 141.  Logue redshirts as well and heads up to 149.

Linsenbigler to start at 141.

Stonecheck at 149 also has a redshirt to use, too.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

California Baptist with wrestlestat rankings alongside - A tale of transfers and their brothers 

125: Eli Griffin (13)

133: Hunter Leake (84)

141: Darren Green (82) - transfer from Wyoming

149: Dayne Morton (69) - transfer from Nebraska

157: Drayden Morton (23) - brother of Dayne

165: Frank Almaguer (60) / Carter Schubert (186) - incoming freshman who is highly rated

174: Justin Phillips (74) - transfer from Virginia

184: Peter Acciardi (82) - transfer from Buffalo

197: Eli Sheeran (61) - transfer from Buffalo

285: Chris Island (106) or Max Acciardi (152) - brother of Peter 

Edited by flyingcement

On 5/16/2023 at 1:44 PM, MizzouFan01 said:

Mizzou

125 Surtin NQ, R12, NQ

anything less than a podium spot would be disappointing at this point in his career.

133 Zeke Seltzer top 10 recruit, looking forward to seeing what he can do

141 Josh Edmond NQ at 149 coming off a RS year. Back to his natural weight after filling in for Mauller during his RS. Low podium wouldn’t surprise me here

149 Mauller 3x AA has had a great career. Hopes he makes the jump to a top 3 finish to finish off his last year.

157 is the one weight we have with 0 experience after four years of Jacques. J Conway, Cam Steed will most likely fill this spot. 

165 KOT!

174 Mocco with one more year to try and finish above his 8 place AA finish last year. 

184, the weight we have the most depth in my eyes. Hawks, Harman and Whittling. All three could start elsewhere I’d imagine. Who ends up manning the spot is a huge ? Mark. Hawks has improved, but if it was me, it would be Whittlings spot. The black and gold should give us an answer. 

197 R Elam

HWY Z Elam

with the right draws, pending everyone staying healthy I see no reason we don’t finish top 5. This is a trophy contender on paper. I believe we return the second most points overall. My opinion this is a trophy or bust year for Mizzou. 

Man, Messenbrink would look good in that lineup. I’m surprised he didn’t end up at mizzou. 
wouldn’t shock me if he ended up here at some point. 

Man, Messenbrink would look good in that lineup. I’m surprised he didn’t end up at mizzou. 

That would be a pretty significant downgrade for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

10 hours ago, pretty_rob said:

Well...it'd be the 3rd transfer, so he'd have to sit a year(or graduate). So that later is possible. But I don't think it's going to happen.

Things aren't well with the individual most likely to facilitate that move, and apparently and haven't been for some time...meaning BA and John Mesenbrink.

But who knows.

39 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

Things aren't well with the individual most likely to facilitate that move, and apparently and haven't been for some time...meaning BA and John Mesenbrink.

But who knows.

Reads like you do?

The Scourge is back!