Honest Opinions for 2023-2024 - Your Team Edition

nhs67

Stanford returns a lot of starters but not a lot of fire power. I think t hey are pretty decent through 165. 

125 - Provo NQ - Tough kid... beat Poulin... lost a 3-2 match to Ramos at the NCAA.... He's a sleeper.

133 - Jackson DiSario - Returning starter

141 - Jason Miranda - Returning starter 

149 - Abas - Returning NQ, AA

157 - Cardenas - Returning AA

165 - Hunter Garvin - Freshman... He's going to be tough

174 - With Eichen's gone I think it will be one of a couple freshman...might be a merry go round here. 

184  Byers - Returning starter - Had a decent freshman year

197 - Stemmett  - Returning starter

HWT - Ming - Returning starter

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

35 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Stanford returns a lot of starters but not a lot of fire power. I think t hey are pretty decent through 165. 

125 - Provo NQ - Tough kid... beat Poulin... lost a 3-2 match to Ramos at the NCAA.... He's a sleeper.

133 - Jackson DiSario - Returning starter

141 - Jason Miranda - Returning starter 

149 - Abas - Returning NQ, AA

157 - Cardenas - Returning AA

165 - Hunter Garvin - Freshman... He's going to be tough

174 - With Eichen's gone I think it will be one of a couple freshman...might be a merry go round here. 

184  Byers - Returning starter - Had a decent freshman year

197 - Stemmett  - Returning starter

HWT - Ming - Returning starter

Where did Eischens end up going?

Also, any chance we see Garvin up at 174 and Darracott at 165?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

26 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

With regard to the boldface, I agree wholeheartedly.  I typically like to see the highest caliber kids squeezed into the lineup even if the weight class is not ideal.  

Regarding Eischens, I think he is still in the portal and I have no clue where he might end up.  He's from Minny but don't know if he has interest in returning home

49 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Eichens hasn't landed anywhere yet.  I could see that scenario where Garvin is up at 174 for the lineup, but it's probably not his ideal weight. ... but he just wrestled the open at 77kg or 169.7 pounds. But, it's a possibility. It would allow all their 174lbers to redshirt. I wonder if there is a possibility that Eichens stays... he's been at Stanford for 5 years so he may have "exhausted his academic opportunities" at Stanford. 

Edited by Idaho

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Alright I’ll do Minnesota, I guess

125 McKee. Finally got the knee surgery he’s been needing for two years, at his height he was a force at NCAA’s. Anything less than AA again would be disappointment.

133 ??? Don’t think Gliva is coming back. Going to need a transfer here. Nagao leaving sucks on so many levels.

141 Vance Vombaur had some really nice wins last year including 5th place finisher Clay Carlson. Tore his labrum at the scuffle last year tho so will be coming off surgery. I think he’s a solid NQ and could surprise some.

149 Drew Roberts I think will be very solid. Comparable to Blockhus.

157 Brayton Lee??? Can he get back to form two years removed from injury? If not, Sebas Swiggum.

165 Hunter Lyden - my bold prediction for the gophers this year is Lyden takes the weight by storm and threatens to AA.

174 Sam Skillings/Andrew Sparks - Skillings would be solid coming down from 184 where he had some nice wins backing up Salazar last year. Sparks finally bulks up

184 Isaiah Salazar - anything less than AA would be huge disappointment. Should be the favorite in the BigTen imo

197 Gavin Nelson? Or Joles if he goes down? I think both could do well

HWT Bennett Tabor is finally healthy, or Joles again after another offseason putting on weight

I think we’ll be lucky to get 3 AA’s, but help is on the way with the class of 2023 imo. Need some transfers to bolster the lineup. Tyler Eischens? Cleveland Belton? Maximo Renteria? Wyatt Henson/Joey Cruz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Fire 1

25 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Eichens hasn't landed anywhere yet.  I could see that scenario where Garvin is up at 174 for the lineup, but it's probably not his ideal weight. ... but he just wrestled the open at 77kg or 169.7 pounds. But, it's a possibility. It would allow all their 174lbers to redshirt. I wonder if there is a possibility that Eichens stays... he's been at Stanford for 5 years so he may have "exhausted his academic opportunities" at Stanford. 

Eischens is a guy where I feel he went 174 strictly because Shane Griffith was at 165.  It would be cool to see him at 165 somewhere.  He has a rather lean build and isn't that large.

1 minute ago, poorwrestler said:

Alright I’ll do Minnesota, I guess

125 McKee. Finally got the knee surgery he’s been needing for two years, at his height he was a force at NCAA’s. Anything less than AA again would be disappointment.

133 ??? Don’t think Gliva is coming back. Going to need a transfer here. Nagao leaving sucks on so many levels.

141 Vance Vombaur had some really nice wins last year including 5th place finisher Clay Carlson. Tore his labrum at the scuffle last year tho so will be coming off surgery. I think he’s a solid NQ and could surprise some.

149 Drew Roberts I think will be very solid. Comparable to Blockhus.

157 Brayton Lee??? Can he get back to form two years removed from injury? If not, Sebas Swiggum.

165 Hunter Lyden - my bold prediction for the gophers this year is Lyden takes the weight by storm and threatens to AA.

174 Sam Skillings/Andrew Sparks - Skillings would be solid coming down from 184 where he had some nice wins backing up Salazar last year. Sparks finally bulks up

184 Isaiah Salazar - anything less than AA would be huge disappointment. Should be the favorite in the BigTen imo

197 Gavin Nelson? Or Joles if he goes down? I think both could do well

HWT Bennett Tabor is finally healthy, or Joles again after another offseason putting on weight

I think we’ll be lucky to get 3 AA’s, but help is on the way with the class of 2023 imo. Need some transfers to bolster the lineup. Tyler Eischens? Cleveland Belton? Maximo Renteria? Wyatt Henson/Joey Cruz?

I thought the smoke in the air was Sparks at 165 and Carlson at 174?

Also I think Joles has improved as much as anyone in the country the last two years and would surprise a lot of people if he could get a full, proper season back at 197.

Lee used to have senior level aspirations.  If they are Olympic I think it would be cool, even if less that 1% likely, to see him.at 165.

• Fire 1

I thought the smoke in the air was Sparks at 165 and Carlson at 174?
Also I think Joles has improved as much as anyone in the country the last two years and would surprise a lot of people if he could get a full, proper season back at 197.
Lee used to have senior level aspirations.  If they are Olympic I think it would be cool, even if less that 1% likely, to see him.at 165.

Lyden takes both Sparks and Carlson to school now that he’s done rehab. Not sure Carlson will be back?

I’d love to see Joles down at 197 for a year because I agree with you. Think he’s grown a lot and can do some real damage. Crazy athlete.

• Fire 2

VT

125 - Ventresca - AA potential again with Flynn battling for the spot 

133 - Latona - AA potential again and a potential finalist

141 - likely Crook again. NQ with a level jump likely after starting as a true freshman 

149 - Henson - natty title contender 

157 - BA the most exciting college wrestler. Natty title contender 

165 - Brady another NQ next season and hopeful podium finish 

174- Lewis Natty title contender if healthy 

184 - possibly Lewis or winner of Stewart/Fisher

197 - Smith likely if Sasso shirts. Another NQ

Hvt -Big Cat NQ with very likely AA

• Fire 2

Penn State:

125: Howard, if healthy, low AA. 7th-8th.
133: Nagao, top 3
141: BB, finalist
149: SVN, finalist
157: Haines, 1st
165: Messenbrink, top 4
174: Starocci, 1st
184: Truax, finalist
197: Brooks, 1st
285: Kerk, 1st

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

I wouldn't disagree. So VT and OSU push Iowa out. I like it.:classic_cool:

Where do you see tOSU then?  Are thry the other Trophy team?

12 hours ago, Le duke said:

Penn State:

125: Howard, if healthy, low AA. 7th-8th.
133: Nagao, top 3
141: BB, finalist
149: SVN, finalist
157: Haines, 1st
165: Messenbrink, top 4
174: Starocci, 1st
184: Truax, finalist
197: Brooks, 1st
285: Kerk, 1st

First world problems when the lowest predicted finisher is a 3x Cadet World Team Member. 

There was a fellow on the old message board who provided a review of the ILLINI team every year. I really enjoyed those posts. I hope he and other ILLINOIS fans like @ionel and @bnwtwg and others pick apart my post until we can come to some kind of consensus. 

125. Justin Cardani/Maximo Renteria. Cardani had surgery and missed last season. Renteria entered his name in the transfer portal, but I haven't heard of any movement. This would be a big-time wrestle-off if it happens. Cardani has the ability to teleport to anybody's leg. Unfortunately, when he hits the "finish him" button, the machine malfunctions. If he has gotten bigger and stronger, he could be a load. Cardani was 3-1 against Liam Cronin, and ILLINI fans are waiting for him to take that next step. If he can finish a quarter of his shots, he would be an AA. Two-time national qualifier. 

Renteria has more talent at wrestling than I have at anything I've ever done in my life except hyperbole. The light never came on last year. Next year? Who knows. On the bench is Sammie Hayes (a tornado in a bottle) and Brandon Morvari (true freshman, will redshirt, two-time Minny champ). 

133. A Very Pissed off Lucas Byrd. AA, title contender. Kole Brower, Brian Beers and redshirt Goebel Hudson form a power-packed bench. 

141. Danny Pucino. Had been ranked very high during the season but had a B1G tournament. He's very exciting to watch, and I look for him to take a giant step this season to not only qualify but win some important matches at the NCAA tournament. As a true freshman, he beat Dylan D'Emilio and Frankie Tal Shahar. He beat Tal Shahar again at the dual this year. Needs to get bigger and stronger. Will Baysingar is the blue chip recruit who will take a redshirt. 

149. Jake Harrier. This fellow really came on last year. Like Pucino at 141, he was small for the weight, so a second year in the starting lineup will really help him get bigger and, of course, more experienced. I expect him to qualify. Charlie Fifield on the bench. A big-time recruit in Kannon Webster will likely get some spot starts at this weight. Kannon is still growing, and who knows where he ends up. 

157. Anthony Federico/Joe Roberts/Luke Odom.  Roberts started the year before last, Federico started out last year at 149 and finished up as the starter at 157. Odom has seen starts the last couple of years. I will be happy with an NCAA qualifier here. Cooper Wettig is in his second year, and Logan Swaw will redshirt. Everybody except Odom need to get bigger. 

165. Danny Braunagel. He was a Covid honorable mention AA, but hasn't gotten the elusive podium. He's in a very competitive weight, and he's been injured every year at the most inopportune times. I think he has the biggest cut on the team. I watched him at the US Open, though, and I've never seen him fight so hard. That's saying something for a Brawlnagel. He wrestled angry. Possessed. He's been ranked as high as #6 in his career. Healthy, he can AA. 

Braeden Scoles is another blue chipper. The Wisconsin 4xer, will take a redshirt and probably give Danny some nights off. He's the second of the incoming Freshmen who were Who's #1 wrestlers. 

174. Edmond Ruth. This is his year for an AA finish. Caden Ernd is another quality backup, while Chris Moore will be redshirting. 

184. Dylan Connell. Four-time ILLINOIS high school champ had a very nice NCAA qualifying year as a redshirt freshman. He's been adding muscle and bulk like Cartman on Weight Gain 4000. He will qualify for NCAAs again and win some matches. 

197. Zac Braunagel. He has missed out in the blood round two years in a row. By one point two years ago at 184. He was another Covid AA. Everybody should be pulling for him this year, even his opponents. I've got him down as an AA. The bench behind the Brawlnagel is pretty awesome: Joey Braunagel (2x finalist at U20s recently), Isiah Pettigrew, Chase Waggoner and red-shirter Peter Marinopoulos. 

285. Luuuke Luffman is back! Judging from his recent duty at the US Open, tangling with some real big Greco boys like Adam Coon, he will be an AA threat. Daniel Renshaw is the backup: 4.0 in Biological Engineering. 

I'm going to say the over/under is three AAs. In likelihood as follows: Byrd, Zac Braunagel, Ruth, Luffman, Danny Braunagel, Danny Pucino and Dylan Connell. This past season, the ILLINI had five matches in which a win meant an All American. It didn't happen. I expect they win those matches next season. This was the bad luck the ILLINI had last year in the form of a binomial probability calculator:  

ILLINIWRESTLING487.jpg

• Fire 3

3 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

First world problems when the lowest predicted finisher is a 3x Cadet World Team Member. 

They will be very, very good this year if everyone wrestles.

I don't think there's a single team that scores more than 6 points on them in a dual, and there are some Top 10 teams that could get blanked. Robbie Howard is predicted by WS to take a lot of Ls, but he finally had surgery and is supposedly healthy. If he's good to go that hole at 125 could be very well plugged. Start at 125 and pray, because it's going to get worse, and worse, and worse from there.