Olympic Trials Tickets Pre-Sale at Usurious Prices

5 hours ago, LJB said:

this country only truly supports wrestling when the participants wear the color of the school the people failed out of in the second semester... 

Probably true for lower-tier schools but I would hazard a guess that many of the PSU fanbois have an even more tenuous connection to the school than that...

14 minutes ago, Theo Brixton said:

Probably true for lower-tier schools but I would hazard a guess that many of the PSU fanbois have an even more tenuous connection to the school than that...

I'm a PSU fan who went to a small liberal arts school in the midwest. Never set foot on PSU's campus until this past fall. 

And the there is @VakAttack who has never set foot in Iowa (or at least last time I asked).

All shapes. All sizes.

The tickets were definitely more expensive.  I recall that there were upper level tickets available for $58 or $102 last time.  This time they were closer to $250.  Lower level tickets seems about 2x more expensive as well.

There were definitely some shenanigans with the ticket prices this time.  I saw some seats where seats 1 and 2 in the row were $20.50 more than seats 3 and 4.  They were sold in pairs so I'm not sure if seat 1 was $20.50 more, it was $10.25 extra split evenly over the two seats, or distributed some other way.  In any event, I had never seen a premium for seats at the end of a row like that.

2 hours ago, Theo Brixton said:

i hope it is packed...

but "fans" typically would rather complain than show up...

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I'm a PSU fan who went to a small liberal arts school in the midwest. Never set foot on PSU's campus until this past fall. 

And the there is @VakAttack who has never set foot in Iowa (or at least last time I asked).

All shapes. All sizes.

Meh, you and Vak aren't what I would call fanbois. 

Defining features of a fanboi (from my perspective):

1. Home team can do no wrong and are overly defensive when others point out valid criticisms.

2. Take perverse delight in the downfall/problems of rivals. The recent kerfuffle on Hawk Report is a good example of this.

3. Appear to tie part (or much?) of their identity and/or derive self-worth from accomplishments of a team for which they play no meaningful part. 

1 hour ago, billyhoyle said:

How many sessions does this get you? If it’s 250 for a single session that is insane. If that gets you everything it’s a very fair price. 

Gets you all.  Not cheap but it gives access to an incredible event at a far cheaper price than a Taylor Swift ticket!

Anecdotally, Worlds at Serbia in 2022 tried to sell tickets (and force hotel accommodations to get those tickets) at high prices ahead of the event to foreigners who wanted a guaranteed seat.

On competition days, the stands were half full and you could get tickets out front for cheap.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

On competition days, the stands were half full and you could get tickets out front for cheap.

YAHTZEE!

Are there some two star motels you can package in and around the Happy Valley?

Edited by MPhillips

1 hour ago, Jim L said:

Do OTT typically sell out?  Weren't they at PSU last time?

This would be an event I would love to go to but can justify those ticket prices.  

They sold out the last time they were supposed to be in State College (2020).  Tickets were half the price then.  B cause of COVID they ended up being held in Fort Worth, TX at reduced capacity.  This presale was for people who had purchased tickets for the 2020 trials in State College that were cancelled.

I doubt the price comes down.  I think a lot of people are underestimating how in demand these tickets will be in PA.  

When NCAAs were in Phily a decade ago, tickets were being resold at 2-3x face value.  That probably won't happen here, but I expect a sellout and a brisk aftermarket.  This ain't Iowa City.