Perhaps Gilman Should Forfeit Maybe

11 hours ago, LJB said:

your "elegant" throw was a blatant leg foul...

and even if it had not been...

it was not magic...

greco folks call it an "off balance"...

whatever...

your boy has the opportunity to wrestle Vera at Final X...

wave your flag...

i wish him the best of luck...

he has a chance because Vera likes to give matches away...

This.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished my Moneyball look at Thomas Gilman. First, let's correct a preview of the Richards/Gilman match that is on FloWrestling's front page. It states: 

"Gilman’s tried and true game plan of using underhooks, forward pressure, and single legs to score step-outs and takedowns, has proven highly successful. You know it’s coming, but you can’t stop it."

The tie that the NLWC wrestler prefers is actually a right-handed collar tie, while he hand fights with his left. Against 10 recent credible opponents, he spent 74.3% of the time using a collar tie, only 5% of the time with an underhook. As far as not being able to stop it, that's another thing. 

There is a certain type of wrestler who has been successful against it: The shorter, quicker foe. Think Zelimkhan Abakarov or Daton Fix. Abakarov blunted Gilman's forward pressure by hitting an arm throw early in their match. Much less forward pressure after that. Fix used his speedy go-behinds to score takedowns. He also blunted Gilman's forward pressure by not engaging and moving laterally. Those are two things that Zane Richards does well. 

It should be noted that Gilman has had great success against tall and lanky wrestlers like Mongolia's Zanabazar Zandanbud, Joe Colon, Horst Lehr from Germany, Udit Udit from India, and Alireza Sarlak from Iran. That's because he can usually handle strength versus strength. It's the strength versus technique or speed that will get him in a bind. 

Second, the most amazing data involved turns.

In 7 of 10 matches against worthy opponents, Thomas Gilman never even attempted a turn. In the three matches where he did attempt a turn, his only successful gut wrench was against a decent German wrestler who forgot to get to his stomach. How do you say "D'oh" in German? On the other hand, Gilman doesn't get turned himself. Thing is, I hope the refs are watching for him grabbing hands and feet while on bottom. He will do that when he feels legitimate pressure. 

Also, the refs need to warn him about interlocking fingers if he decides to go that route. He does it a lot. Finally, I hope they make sure he is sufficiently rubbed down, as he sweats like a Nazi in Harlem. He also starts matches suspiciously shiny. I know as a former boxer, we used Vaseline on our faces, but boxing is not supposed to involve any grabbing and holding. Old Spice body wash? I guess it's just a mystery!

ILLINIWRESTLING535.jpg

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

I've finished my Moneyball look at Thomas Gilman. First, let's correct a preview of the Richards/Gilman match that is on FloWrestling's front page. It states: 

"Gilman’s tried and true game plan of using underhooks, forward pressure, and single legs to score step-outs and takedowns, has proven highly successful. You know it’s coming, but you can’t stop it."

The tie that the NLWC wrestler prefers is actually a right-handed collar tie, while he hand fights with his left. Against 10 recent credible opponents, he spent 74.3% of the time using a collar tie, only 5% of the time with an underhook. As far as not being able to stop it, that's another thing. 

There is a certain type of wrestler who has been successful against it: The shorter, quicker foe. Think Zelimkhan Abakarov or Daton Fix. Abakarov blunted Gilman's forward pressure by hitting an arm throw early in their match. Much less forward pressure after that. Fix used his speedy go-behinds to score takedowns. He also blunted Gilman's forward pressure by not engaging and moving laterally. Those are two things that Zane Richards does well. 

It should be noted that Gilman has had great success against tall and lanky wrestlers like Mongolia's Zanabazar Zandanbud, Joe Colon, Horst Lehr from Germany, Udit Udit from India, and Alireza Sarlak from Iran. That's because he can usually handle strength versus strength. It's the strength versus technique or speed that will get him in a bind. 

In 7 of 10 matches against worthy opponents, Thomas Gilman never even attempted a turn. In the three matches where he did attempt a turn, his only successful gut wrench was against a decent German wrestler who forgot to get to his stomach. How do you say "D'oh" in German? On the other hand, Gilman doesn't get turned himself. Thing is, I hope the refs are watching for him grabbing hands and feet while on bottom. He will do that when he feels legitimate pressure. 

Also, the refs need to warn him about interlocking fingers if he decides to go that route. He does it a lot. Finally, I hope they make sure he is sufficiently rubbed down, as he sweats like a Nazi in Harlem. He also starts matches suspiciously shiny. I know as a former boxer, we used Vaseline on our faces, but boxing is not supposed to involve any grabbing and holding. Old Spice body wash? I guess it's just a mystery!

ILLINIWRESTLING535.jpg

Oh... we have a greasegate here?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

In the words of Tom Brands, "Guy is oiled up. Print that."

The full quotes from Brands and Cassioppi:

"Brands also thought Hillger had an unfair advantage during the heavyweight match. 

'Guy was oiled up too, guy was oiled up, print that,' Brands said. 

'I don’t know if he had oil or anything on him, he was just kind of slick,' Cassioppi added. 'I just had to brush it off and just keep wrestling. Maybe keep that mind that I’ve got to really, really secure that leg or really, really secure that wrist when I wrestle.'"

I don't know if Gilman pampers his skin with luxury product, whether he only wrestles with a 103° temperature, or his body exudes some type of mucusy substance like a snail. 

I just know that he starts the match against tough opponents as shiny as a bald head at a strip club. Ref needs to check that.

7 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

The full quotes from Brands and Cassioppi:

"Brands also thought Hillger had an unfair advantage during the heavyweight match. 

'Guy was oiled up too, guy was oiled up, print that,' Brands said. 

'I don’t know if he had oil or anything on him, he was just kind of slick,' Cassioppi added. 'I just had to brush it off and just keep wrestling. Maybe keep that mind that I’ve got to really, really secure that leg or really, really secure that wrist when I wrestle.'"

I don't know if Gilman pampers his skin with luxury product, whether he only wrestles with a 103° temperature, or his body exudes some type of mucusy substance like a snail. 

I just know that he starts the match against tough opponents as shiny as a bald head at a strip club. Ref needs to check that.

I have a theory. You know how Trent Hillger has those luscious locks? It's well-known in various circles that Thor uses only the finest Scandinavian hair conditioner products. Well rumor has it that one day Gilman grew a little too jealous, what with his receding hair line, and decided he wanted to cut a corner on the Just For Men club. So he joined PSU on the trip to the Wiscy dual, snuck into the locker room, and stole all the bottles of Hillger's conditioner. He liked the initial results but was constantly craving more and eventually he became addicted like Joe Buck was addicted to hair plugs. And because he still struggles with his conditioner addiction to this very day, Gilman is often seen jonesing during prematch warmups but then disappears to the back. A few minutes later he re-emerges with his body covered head-to-toe in oily conditioner-y grease... and silky smooth hair.

He should have just owned the male pattern baldness like his mentally tougher opponent Zane Richards.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

I have a theory. You know how Trent Hillger has those luscious locks? It's well-known in various circles that Thor uses only the finest Scandinavian hair conditioner products. Well rumor has it that one day Gilman grew a little too jealous, what with his receding hair line, and decided he wanted to cut a corner on the Just For Men club. So he joined PSU on the trip to the Wiscy dual, snuck into the locker room, and stole all the bottles of Hillger's conditioner. He liked the initial results but was constantly craving more and eventually he became addicted like Joe Buck was addicted to hair plugs. And because he still struggles with his conditioner addiction to this very day, Gilman is often seen jonesing during prematch warmups but then disappears to the back. A few minutes later he re-emerges with his body covered head-to-toe in oily conditioner-y grease... and silky smooth hair.

He should have just owned the male pattern baldness like his mentally tougher opponent Zane Richards.

Strange as it seems, here is video of Gilman versus Iran's Sarlak. Just :25 seconds into the match (5:35), Gilman is already sweating like an Exorcist on day three. One second later, the ref blows the action dead. Sarlak removes his collar tie from the back of Gilman's head and looks at his hand like WTF? 

Twenty days ago a MLB pitcher was ejected for violation of the foreign substances rule. Automatic 10-game suspension. Less than a month before that, another pitcher was ejected and suspended for the same thing. Missing 10 games might equate to hundreds of thousands of dollars, and yet they still break the rule. From a 2022 article about how bad the sticky substances issue had become in baseball:

"With the use of foreign substances 'more prevalent' than the league had anticipated, MLB instructed umpires as of June 21 to begin performing periodic checks throughout the game on both starters and relievers."

To gain an advantage, a wrestler might rub oil into his skin, perhaps even put some type of grease on the back of his head. He is unlikely to touch it, but you can bet his opponent will. 

I don't know if it is true with Gilman, but there needs to be an even playing field. There is no question that Gilman is too sweaty at the start of matches, and it is even worse in the second period, after his towel guy dabs him the way a new father swabs the ear of his baby. 

ILLINIWRESTLING559.jpg

Weird how NLWC has come full circle. They couldn’t beat Sweaty J’Den so they joined him! Carl stops at nothing for even the tiniest of advantages and UWW will do nothing for fear of his disapproving scowl.

• Fire 1

On 6/6/2023 at 4:12 AM, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

ILLINIWRESTLING535.jpg

Speaking of "Moneyball", Billy Beane has a son that wrestled this past high school season (as a freshman).

• Fire 1

15 hours ago, Formally140 said:

I’m rooting for Zane as much as the next guy but it seems like a bad matchup for him

My keyboard is about to become a bad matchup for your feelings

• Fire 1