Iowa and Iowa State Involved in Gambling Investigation

Idaho

The law comment above came from a podcast I think, but here are some snippets from HR, no clue if any truth to them:

-someone claims the NCAA "won't like" the guys' defense during their appeal, whatever that means.   There have been some comments saying supposedly the investigators have come out and said they deliberately targeted male athletes, so I wonder if it could be related to that.

-someone claims it could be even worse than a year ban, with I think a different person saying they heard they could be banned forever from coaching in the future even

CyHawk is 11/26 in Hilton Colliseum 

Suspensions: Paniro Johnson, Tony Cassioppi, Abe Assad, Nelson Brands, Patrick Kennedy, Cullan Schriever

Injuries: Drake Ayala expected back by January

125: Kysen Terukina dec Joey Cruz 3-0

133: Brody Teske dec Garrett Grice 3-3

141: Real Woods dec Anthony Echemendia 6-3

149: Casey Swidersk dec Victor Voinovich 6-6

157: Jared Franek dec Cody Chittum 6-9

165: David Carr dec Mikey Caliendo 9-9

174: MJ Gaitan dec Brennan Swafford 12-9

184: Will Feldkamp major Aiden Riggins 16-9

197: Julien Broderson dec Zach Glazier 19-9

285: Yonger Bastida dec Bradley Hill 22-9 Cyclones

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

That young man looked so clueless when he last wrestled folkstyle.

I could see Woods picking up 6 for the Black and Gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking 4 or 5, but doesn’t change much.   Iowa homers might take Kueter over Bastida, but that still puts them down 19-12 at best.  They’d need to flip another match (maybe Voinovich the best shot?) AND get more bonus.  

Definitely an uphill battle for the Hawkeyes, and ISU might’ve been able to win even without the suspensions

46 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I was thinking 4 or 5, but doesn’t change much.   Iowa homers might take Kueter over Bastida, but that still puts them down 19-12 at best.  They’d need to flip another match (maybe Voinovich the best shot?) AND get more bonus.  

Definitely an uphill battle for the Hawkeyes, and ISU might’ve been able to win even without the suspensions

Whoops math was off.  If Woods gets 5 and Kueter wins (longshot), they’d win 17-16

Whoops math was off.  If Woods gets 5 and Kueter wins (longshot), they’d win 17-16

I didn’t think that Bastida was a particularly large 197 last year. He didn’t look huge against Dean, a small 197, for example. If Keuter gets up to 240, he’d have a pretty decent length, reach and strength advantage.

Now, will he even be practicing at that point? Unlikely. Iowa vs ISU is usually before FB bowl season, I think.

40 minutes ago, Le duke said:

I didn’t think that Bastida was a particularly large 197 last year. He didn’t look huge against Dean, a small 197, for example. If Keuter gets up to 240, he’d have a pretty decent length, reach and strength advantage.

Now, will he even be practicing at that point? Unlikely. Iowa vs ISU is usually before FB bowl season, I think.

Ah good point 

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Ah good point 

Julian Broderson is a 174 pounder going up two weights. I don’t really think we can accurately project what he’s going to look like until we see it. VV - Swiderski should be considered a toss up in my opinion. 

Julian Broderson is a 174 pounder going up two weights. I don’t really think we can accurately project what he’s going to look like until we see it. VV - Swiderski should be considered a toss up in my opinion. 

There are going to be a LOT of guys at not-very-optimal weights for Iowa vs ISU.

If nothing else, should make for a competitive dual.

4 hours ago, Gus said:

Was more referring to the timing and how Kueter might not be available yet

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/26/2023 at 8:40 PM, 1032004 said:

Iowa wins easily without the suspensions: 133 Teske, 141 Woods, 157 Franck, 174 Brands, 197 Assad, 285 Cass

In my humble opinion, it feels like the Iowa State fanbase is happier with Dresser than they ought to be. There has not been much of an improvement since he took over with tournament team points. In theory, they should have done their best this year with AA threats with Terukina, Paniro(out), Swiderski, Chittum, Feldkamp, Bastida and then obviously Carr.

Flo has Iowa State tournament team ranking at 11. They have a lot of upside with where these kids are currently ranked. 

On 8/27/2023 at 8:18 PM, 1032004 said:

Was more referring to the timing and how Kueter might not be available yet

I assume he is on football scholarship, so I agree with you that he most likely won't be available in November.  However, Kreuter is not listed on any of the published depth charts, making it seem like a waste to us wrestling fans.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

12 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Broderson beat Assad 8-3 in 2020

Were they freshmen then, was it in the dual? I would still take Assad, big jump in weight for Broderson. Iowa could have also went Kennedy 165, Caliendo 174 (or vice versa) and Brands at 184. That would have given them good chance to win 184 also. But guess we will never know. Has been 19 or 20 years since ISU won, may have to put an asterisk “if” they win this year. 

12 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

In my humble opinion, it feels like the Iowa State fanbase is happier with Dresser than they ought to be. There has not been much of an improvement since he took over with tournament team points. In theory, they should have done their best this year with AA threats with Terukina, Paniro(out), Swiderski, Chittum, Feldkamp, Bastida and then obviously Carr.

Flo has Iowa State tournament team ranking at 11. They have a lot of upside with where these kids are currently ranked. 

I agree. Dresser has been there 6 years and still hasn’t been in top 10. Panino, Shwiderski and Cbittum wouldn’t have all been in the lineup this year anyway, with Cody moving up. Someone would have redshirt.

7 hours ago, Hwt1 said:

Were they freshmen then, was it in the dual? I would still take Assad, big jump in weight for Broderson. Iowa could have also went Kennedy 165, Caliendo 174 (or vice versa) and Brands at 184. That would have given them good chance to win 184 also. But guess we will never know. Has been 19 or 20 years since ISU won, may have to put an asterisk “if” they win this year. 

Whoever takes the mat is who takes the mat.  We don't use asterisks in this business - you should know better.

• Fire 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

12 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Whoever takes the mat is who takes the mat.  We don't use asterisks in this business - you should know better.

Even when Dresser held that tournament where he orchestrated all the results?

• Fire 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

2 hours ago, jchapman said:

Even when Dresser held that tournament where he orchestrated all the results?

Even that.

Also even when BDJr 'won' the 86 KG spot for worlds.  He doesn't get an asterisk due to DT being out.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me