Rating Tulsa - How'd they do?

Warm Up Champ

7 minutes ago, LJB said:

to be fair, you are right...

iwent there early 90s for a show and it was a shit hole...

i just forgot about it...

but have spent several weekends there for various reasons since late oughts and loved it...

the graffiti there is in incredible...

garlic mama chiken...

the last time i was there was during the boogie bug days...

was at the place that has been shown above...

so many girls of my preference running around...

it was sensory overload...

shut that place down then stumble raced my buddy back tot the hotel... 

got lost...

got swung on by a homeless man i guess i startled...

next day the best hair in wrestling tried to big dik me...

one of my better traveling experiences all in all...

Yes it is very nice now and seems improvements every year.

I can tell you the ones bitching about the event, should have contacted me.  I had about 15 people from out of state, and I took them to all the places.  Folks from Missouri, Colorado, California, Utah and Jersey.  I had more compliments on the food, beer choices, and how nice the people were.  Granted, we St. Patty's day was a failure because we got too hammered.  We drank with the West Virginia fans one day, and it got rowdy. For me, it is wrestling though, I am just glad it is going on. I was going to make the best out of whatever and wherever it is at.  The day it was raining was a bitch, and there were 2 scooter crashes that day....but overall it was great. 

• Fire 1

I understand why the natives are getting defensive about the Tulsa.  It was fine.   But if you ask us to compare it to other NCAA host cities, then you will get compared to Cleveland, Philly, StL, KC next year, etc.  Overall it is not a knock on your city, but there are things that are not on par with other recent host cities.  It doesn't mean there wasn't any good food or drink options, just not as many or convenient as others.   The arena certainly needs a upgrade. 

If it goes back to Oklahoma, OKC in 2014 was better in my opinion than Tulsa. 

• Fire 4

On 4/10/2023 at 5:32 AM, H82Lose said:

I can tell you the ones bitching about the event, should have contacted me.  I had about 15 people from out of state, and I took them to all the places.  Folks from Missouri, Colorado, California, Utah and Jersey.  I had more compliments on the food, beer choices, and how nice the people were.  Granted, we St. Patty's day was a failure because we got too hammered.  We drank with the West Virginia fans one day, and it got rowdy. For me, it is wrestling though, I am just glad it is going on. I was going to make the best out of whatever and wherever it is at.  The day it was raining was a bitch, and there were 2 scooter crashes that day....but overall it was great. 

I've been to hundreds of tournaments, probably 75 out of state. The people are almost always great.

If you know your way around, I'm sure Tulsa is lovely. 

The Wrestling...always great.

For me it was just about getting there and where to stay once I did. That's what made it too difficult for me to make it. 

• Fire 1

On 4/9/2023 at 3:58 PM, Show_Me said:

Disagree.  There is a difference between “constructive criticism” & complaining about everything.

In theory.... fans are usually on the complaining side rather than the "constructive criticism" side. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Personal vote: Indianapolis should host the NCAA championship.

If you've ever been for an event, you understand how connected and easily walkable the downtown area is. Hotels, restaurants, bars, nightlife, gathering spots. The downtown was built to host events. 

Now, Indianapolis also has to want the wrestling championship, but you would have a really hard time finding a better host city. 

• Fire 2

Indianapolis is certainly a great sports city. And being in the midwest, not to mention the city of the NCAA headquarters, it's almost shocking that they haven't hosted an NCAA wrestling tournament. 

Obviously not as cool a location as St. Louis, but would be an excellent site.

Edit: Looks like 2025 DII will be in Indy, so the city isn't completely averse to wrestling.

Edited by PencilNeck

2 hours ago, TylerDurden said:

If you've ever been for an event, you understand how connected and easily walkable the downtown area is. Hotels, restaurants, bars, nightlife, gathering spots. The downtown was built to host events. 

Now, Indianapolis also has to want the wrestling championship, but you would have a really hard time finding a better host city. 

I think Indy like KC has been too busy with basketball (and other) to work wrestling into the schedule.  We will now get KC.  Indy might be slightly better for air travel but I'd say KC is now a better option for the 3 day wrestling event (but I'd be happy if ever at Indy). The out door Power & Light district is right across the street from the arena, plenty of parking, hotels, restaurants & bars also along the free street car route.  

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, TylerDurden said:

I've been to Indy before for big club volleyball tournaments that my daughter played in, and Lucas Oil Stadium was an awesome venue (not sure if wrestling will be held there).  It's conveniently located and I think Indy is a neat town.  However, they'd be newbies to such an event, so a nice venue and city does not necessarily make for a good tournament.  Plus, Indiana doesn't have a D1 wrestling school, so not sure who would host. 

(j/k Hosers!, I mean Hoosiers)

17 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

I've been to Indy before for big club volleyball tournaments that my daughter played in, and Lucas Oil Stadium was an awesome venue (not sure if wrestling will be held there).  It's conveniently located and I think Indy is a neat town.  However, they'd be newbies to such an event, so a nice venue and city does not necessarily make for a good tournament.  Plus, Indiana doesn't have a D1 wrestling school, so not sure who would host. 

what?! 

you should check with Spencer F Lee

1 hour ago, KCMO2 said:

Uh..Indy isn't in any way, shape or form a newbie to hosting such an event. 

https://www.indianasportscorp.org/about/history

I like what KC has with Power & Light. It's a nice setup, no doubt about it and I won't talk bad about it. They executed that plan very well. I can understand why people like it and I'm sure KC will do a nice job hosting. 

In the end, this debate doesn't really matter unless Indianapolis decides it wants to host DI wrestling, but they have the goods to be an outstanding host. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, KCMO2 said:

Lucas Oil is where they have the state finals every year. The place is always packed a nd they always do a great job. Several years ago, and for several years in a row, they had the NFL scouting combine the same weekend and the hotels and restaurants had no problem with both.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

The state of Indiana has a big wrestling fan base. Not that holding the championship there makes any difference. Travel, lodging, food, etc, would not create any problems. Holding the event in the football facility or NBA facility would be an option. I personally would prefer the basketball facility. But the city of Indianapolis could put on a good event. As they have with all the other national and international events hosted there. 

• Fire 1

On 4/6/2023 at 9:40 PM, LJB said:

to be fair, you are right...

iwent there early 90s for a show and it was a shit hole...

i just forgot about it...

but have spent several weekends there for various reasons since late oughts and loved it...

the graffiti there is in incredible...

garlic mama chiken...

the last time i was there was during the boogie bug days...

was at the place that has been shown above...

so many girls of my preference running around...

it was sensory overload...

shut that place down then stumble raced my buddy back tot the hotel... 

got lost...

got swung on by a homeless man i guess i startled...

next day the best hair in wrestling tried to big dik me...

one of my better traveling experiences all in all...

Public service announcement:

1.  Periods exist.

2.  Capital letters exist.

3.  Paragraphs exist.

Kindly,

BAC

• Fire 1

21 minutes ago, BAC said:

Public service announcement:

1.  Periods exist.

2.  Capital letters exist.

3.  Paragraphs exist.

Kindly,

BAC

could be it's just @LJB's preferred style... 

e.e. cummmings wasn't much for capitalization or punctuation...

seems to like to end one-liners with an ellipsis...

though that could signal an incomplete thought...

might be nodding off while typing...

one can always feel free to fill in the blanks by reading between the lines...

LJB leaves white space to do so...

• Fire 1

Indy would be an amazing host - downtown is built for hosting events and everything is super walkable. The state tournament is held at Gainbridge (where the Pacers play) and in general the area is used to hosting big events (Super Bowl, NBA All Star Weekend, etc..). It's centrally located (two hours from Cincy, Louisville, 3h from Chicago, 3.5h from STL, 4h from Nashville) for folks driving in, and the airport is pretty decent in terms of cheap flights. Tons of hotels downtown and in the surround suburbs as well.

Now my ultimate dream would be Louisville hosting it at the YUM Center, but we still have some ways to go in hotels downtown (better than Tulsa, but not as good as Indianapolis)

22 hours ago, nick said:

Now my ultimate dream would be Louisville hosting it at the YUM Center, but we still have some ways to go in hotels downtown (better than Tulsa, but not as good as Indianapolis)

I'd go broke drinking all the Pappy at Whiskey Kitchen.

On 4/17/2023 at 9:04 AM, gimpeltf said:

Not sure the Gainbridge would be big enough for NCAAs.

Concert capacity shows 20-21k but NHL shows 12k.

Agree. Lucas oil is more apt to handle the championship. As Nick stated, a lot of people would be driving more than flying. An easy 6-7 hour drive would incorporate a good percentage of wrestling fans home bases.