2023 Transfer Portal

10 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

I think Troy Spratley will be in the portal soon. I hope not, very bad for Minnesota, but just from what I’m seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think he will end in the portal. With Nagao most likely leaving ( I’d be super surprised if he decided to stay at Minnesota) I think it opens up some room for Mitch M. And Troy to decide whose going what weight. Then after this year he can descend to 125 or be at 133. 

I don’t think he will end in the portal. With Nagao most likely leaving ( I’d be super surprised if he decided to stay at Minnesota) I think it opens up some room for Mitch M. And Troy to decide whose going what weight. Then after this year he can descend to 125 or be at 133. 

I hope you’re right, but all things I’m hearing indicating otherwise.

5 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

I hope you’re right, but all things I’m hearing indicating otherwise.

I’d honestly be surprised if he did. Are there rumors circulating or is this your own speculation? I haven’t heard anything about him hitting the portal but I may be extremely out the loop if there is some smoke/rumors with him leaving Minnesota  

2 hours ago, headshuck said:

Testing the waters Troy?

2 hours ago, poorwrestler said:

I think Troy Spratley will be in the portal soon. I hope not, very bad for Minnesota, but just from what I’m seeing.

I think if this happens we could be seeing a sinking ship similar to the one we are seeing at Northwestern at the moment. 

I think if this happens we could be seeing a sinking ship similar to the one we are seeing at Northwestern at the moment. 

I’m not sure how I feel, to be honest. I really like Gavin Nelson and Max McEnelly at 84/97, along with the potential to add Hopke they could be a lethal trio. The retention of some of the top recruits in the low/mid weights leaves a lot to be desired though. Robideau on the horizon as an elite in-state recruit but he’s only a sophomore in high school.

I am biased but I have high hopes for Vance Vombaur, Drew Roberts and Tagen Jamison in the 141-149 range. The key priorities right now - do all that you can to keep Nagao, Spratley, and land Hopke. Get 2 out of those 3 I’ll be happy.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, poorwrestler said:

I’m not sure how I feel, to be honest. I really like Gavin Nelson and Max McEnelly at 84/97, along with the potential to add Hopke they could be a lethal trio. The retention of some of the top recruits in the low/mid weights leaves a lot to be desired though. Robideau on the horizon as an elite in-state recruit but he’s only a sophomore in high school.

I am biased but I have high hopes for Vance Vombaur, Drew Roberts and Tagen Jamison in the 141-149 range. The key priorities right now - do all that you can to keep Nagao, Spratley, and land Hopke. Get 2 out of those 3 I’ll be happy.

What happened to Jamison this season? I had high hopes for him. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Apparently Michigan has offers out to both Cannon and DeAuggie on one end and Griffith on the other end.

Michigan is going to be a big player in NIL.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

10 hours ago, poorwrestler said:

The Minnesota 197 jinx is a real thing.  Brock Berge, Bobby Steveson, Lance Benik, all failed to produce in college. From what I've seen of Max he isn't ready for college, but I haven't seen a ton of him.  I think the  top 197 of the future is a 160, 170 still growing.  

12 minutes ago, El Luchador said:

The Minnesota 197 jinx is a real thing.  Brock Berge, Bobby Steveson, Lance Benik, all failed to produce in college. From what I've seen of Max he isn't ready for college, but I haven't seen a ton of him.  I think the  top 197 of the future is a 160, 170 still growing.  

Broc Berge started at Iowa and transferred to Minny. Lance Benick started at ASU and transferred to Augsburg. Steveson did not live up to the hype although I’m not sure where he was ranked coming out of high school. He did qualify for NCAA’s once and dealt with some injury problems. 

17 minutes ago, El Luchador said:

Max is going 184 in college.  He only weighs 190.  When he won his world medal last year he was like 13 pounds underweight.

2 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

Max is going 184 in college.  He only weighs 190.  When he won his world medal last year he was like 13 pounds underweight.

It's always hard to predict what one's body will do. That sounds like a good plan,  but nature may have something different in mind  

On 4/11/2023 at 11:27 AM, Idaho said:

Not everybody has been begging for it.... Those who have, probably did not foresee how complicated and  out of control it would become. Pro sports have free-agency but they also have competitive balance where there are salary caps for all teams, revenue sharing for small market teams, etc.  So yes, you can have it both ways, but certainly not the way the NCAA has done it by opening up the flood gates then backing away while watching from the bushes. 

The New York Mets will spend 500 MILLION more than the Oakland Athletics this upcoming season, just on players salaries...but your point stands. They at least try in the NFL(thanks to Wellington Mara who probably cost his family tens of billions of dollars) and the NBA makes a ton of money in revenue sharing as well(as long as nobody says Taiwan...

But yes, at least the professional leagues make an attempt. But they at least are all under one unified group of owners. The NCAA didn't want any players compensated and they have no saying over that. The transfer portal was hurting athletes and that was just a good idea, but you combine the two and it's kinda chaos. 

I think this is going to all going to kinda settle down a bit though. I wasn't begging for it, but I wasn't necessarily opposed. I did see how if you were a Football player for example...and you went to play for Lincoln Riley because of the way he develops QBs, then he bails to USC and you're a Heisman quality QB who's almost certainly going to be the #1 pick in the 2024 draft, you should be able to leave without penalty. 

6 hours ago, scourge165 said:

The New York Mets will spend 500 MILLION more than the Oakland Athletics this upcoming season, just on players salaries...but your point stands. They at least try in the NFL(thanks to Wellington Mara who probably cost his family tens of billions of dollars) and the NBA makes a ton of money in revenue sharing as well(as long as nobody says Taiwan...

But yes, at least the professional leagues make an attempt. But they at least are all under one unified group of owners. The NCAA didn't want any players compensated and they have no saying over that. The transfer portal was hurting athletes and that was just a good idea, but you combine the two and it's kinda chaos. 

I think this is going to all going to kinda settle down a bit though. I wasn't begging for it, but I wasn't necessarily opposed. I did see how if you were a Football player for example...and you went to play for Lincoln Riley because of the way he develops QBs, then he bails to USC and you're a Heisman quality QB who's almost certainly going to be the #1 pick in the 2024 draft, you should be able to leave without penalty. 

And as a very long-time Oakland A's fan I have to say that the lack of spending by the A's has been a definite factor in their awful win loss record over the last decade.  Currently the A's have the very worst won loss record in MLB (3-10).  Yet they continue to implement that strategy - which did work for a while but no longer works.  Bottom line is if you want to have success you have to spend the money.  Going the cheap route just doesn't get it done.

7 hours ago, scourge165 said:

The Mets will pay a huge luxury tax on the $270 million they went over. (230 million cap).  Part of that luxury tax goes back to the other teams and part of it goes to player benefits. Of course this was all negotiated with a union.   This is part of the competitive balance.  The A's took in the least amount of revenue last year, but still profited on the bottom line even w/o the revenue sharing.

I have no problem with kids transferring... the portal is fine..... the problem is the NIL side... and it has a profound effect on the portal. Scholarship limits were a way to keep a level playing field. They don't matter anymore when you can bring in a guy for 250k which includes all of his schooling.  You can have 30 guys on "scholarship" now. Scholarships are now for mid-tier guys. The problem that needs to be dealt with is how to keep a more level playing field with NIL. If this does not happen, we will see mid-low level teams not be able to keep and sustain competitive wrestlers and teams. The end result will not be good for NCAA wrestling. Am I against the portal? No. Am I against kids getting NIL money? No.  I am against the free-for-all that is happening with no regulation. It will not be a good end result. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

And as a very long-time Oakland A's fan I have to say that the lack of spending by the A's has been a definite factor in their awful win loss record over the last decade.  Currently the A's have the very worst won loss record in MLB (3-10).  Yet they continue to implement that strategy - which did work for a while but no longer works.  Bottom line is if you want to have success you have to spend the money.  Going the cheap route just doesn't get it done.

Yet the A's still made a profit last year and COULD have spent more money to field a more competitive team.  Remember when @NearFall @Thumper called for Bakersfield to drop their program because it wasn't competitive? How do you expect teams who were barely surviving pre-NIL to survive in post-NIL? Call for their dropping of the program? 

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

So you're saying they need Brad Pitt, Jonah Hill, and Starlord again?

• Haha 3

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me