B1G - Session 2, 3/4/23 5:30 PM (US-Eastern)

nhs67

7 minutes ago, russelscout said:

Would you agree that Venz got worse from his Freshman year to his Senior? He placed as a freshman and never again. I don’t think you can say the same about any of the guys you listed.

desanto got better?

marinelli got better?

m star?

brands?

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, jajensen09 said:

You are bringing up 10 years ago, wrestling has changed so much from then, manning and Snyder have kept up with the times, Iowa has not. The shit you see out of brands, Warner,  Assad, teske, is just bad coaching

All qualified.  Something Nebraska cannot come close to saying. 

• Haha 1

Just now, russelscout said:

Would you agree that Venz got worse from his Freshman year to his Senior? He placed as a freshman and never again. I don’t think you can say the same about any of the guys you listed.

Oh totally. I agree. But those guys i mentioned should have been NC. Never where. AM was always under achieving at NCAAs and he was favored. Kem never got over the hump.  Same as DeSantos. All great wrestlers but still. I guess my point is its going to be really fun to watch where this team could go. But I also think everyone who isnt Penn St prolly needs to sit down. 

• Fire 2

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

They were much heavier favorites that year than the year they won it. 

again, paper means nothing

thats why they wrestle

my evidence: compare where you thought NU would be in November to where they are now.

not saying NU didn't get dominated in the dual

1 minute ago, HuskerMac said:

Oh totally. I agree. But those guys i mentioned should have been NC. Never where. AM was always under achieving at NCAAs and he was favored. Kem never got over the hump.  Same as DeSantos. All great wrestlers but still. I guess my point is its going to be really fun to watch where this team could go. But I also think everyone who isnt Penn St prolly needs to sit down. 

During that time though, Iowa had national titles, individual and team. You see how it’s ridiculous for @jajensen09 to say Nebby is keeping up with the times, while Iowa is not, right?

it's not ridiculous... look at how iowa wrestled 20 years ago.

now today

looks the same for the guys of their caliber.

they just dont have the hammers anymore except for Lee

warner, brands murin

all wrestle like the average guys of previous years 

nothing has changed. not saying they are bad... 

but have they kept up? 

Edited by Scouts Honor
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

now today

warner, brands murin

but have they kept up? 

They are consistently in the top 3…. Outside of PSU they are the most consistent program. Have they kept up? Well, more than everyone but PSU.

Nebby is never in the discussion for a team title. Iowa is every year. 

Edited by russelscout

Just now, russelscout said:

During that time though, Iowa had national titles, individual and team. You see how it’s ridiculous for @jajensen09 to say Nebby is keeping up with the times, while Iowa is not, right?

Lol Yes. That is ridiculous. Iowa is a staple always at the top ( as much as i hate to say that lol)

Nebraska has a long way to go but we are seeing a step in the right direction. I mean the toughest tournament of the year and NEB has 5 finalist. and 2 more fighting for 3rd. I mean you gotta admit. That pretty crazy

• Fire 2

12 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

now today

warner, brands murin

but have they kept up? 

With Penn State?  No.  With everybody else?  Yes, they are consistently better than every other program.

Im a Neb fan. Through and Through But our program doesnt have the support like Iowa or Penn St. We are a football and Volleyball school. We dont sell out every dual. Thats just facts.  I hope it changes and like i said we are moving in the right direction but Neb fans need to realize who are the staples and who are making the push to become one. 

18 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

manning didn't inherit the wrestling tradition at Iowa 

Not speaking about you but your post rang true.

I honestly hope Nebraska is starting their own tradition right now. More at the top is good for us all. Then fans can lighten up on the ridiculous, obvious, jealous shit posting.

They won't...but they could!

• Fire 2

Please no more Gary Steen EVER in a Penn State uniform.  I know he is undersized.  I know he is a backup.

But he always finds a way to lose winnable matches.   It's so predictable.   

Give up bad takedowns.   Get an escape.  Give up another takedown.  Finally shoot and get in deep with a few seconds left in a period but be unable to finish.  Scramble but nothing comes off it.   In winnable matches, come close, but no cigar.

For a multi-time placer in PA state championships, he just doesn't seem to have it at the college level.

Hopefully, Robbie Howard will be back next year and healthy.  

10 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

Please no more Gary Steen EVER in a Penn State uniform.  I know he is undersized.  I know he is a backup.

But he always finds a way to lose winnable matches.   It's so predictable.   

Give up bad takedowns.   Get an escape.  Give up another takedown.  Finally shoot and get in deep with a few seconds left in a period but be unable to finish.  Scramble but nothing comes off it.   In winnable matches, come close, but no cigar.

For a multi-time placer in PA state championships, he just doesn't seem to have it at the college level.

Hopefully, Robbie Howard will be back next year and healthy.  

Yes, he won his two PA titles in the AA division at 106 and 113.  Took third as a senior at 120.  Just doesn't look big enough.  

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Venz had a style with some holes in it and Nebraska coaches apparently didn't have the ability to shore it up. After his successful season he was scouted.  

• Fire 1

55 minutes ago, HuskerMac said:

Im a Neb fan. Through and Through But our program doesnt have the support like Iowa or Penn St. We are a football and Volleyball school. We dont sell out every dual. Thats just facts.  I hope it changes and like i said we are moving in the right direction but Neb fans need to realize who are the staples and who are making the push to become one. 

I agree but the wrestling in nebraska has gotten much much much better. The sport is growing

• Haha 1

Here's what it comes down to. Brands has always gotten big time recruits because of the Iowa name he inherited.  As far as coaching, brands has shown he doesn't make his guys much better. Manning on the other hand, doesn't always get the top recruits but coaches them up. Better coach manning,  but recruits Brands. But you do see nebraska has closed the gab and if not leap frogged now and for years to come