Yianni - best ever to NOT win a Hodge?

Jimmy Cinnabon

59 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

No, but the Cobb Salad was named for my grandfather, Bob Cobb.

22 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

You know my grandfathers name was Harold Bingo and he invented Bingo.  Are you aware of that

Is this a "last lier" type of thing, I feel I should wait to mention my grandfathers.  

• Haha 1

Nolf is the best in my opinion because not only was he a generational talent (4 finals, 3 titles) but he also dominated. It took another even greater year from fellow generational talent Bo Nickal for Nolf to not at least get the senior year bump after Zain wrecked the field the prior two years. Not saying they were not deserving winners, but Nolf will be nothing more than fodder in a decade and that's a damn shame because he was as innovative, daring, dominant, and exciting as it got.

• Fire 7

i am an idiot on the internet

Well, IF Yianni wins his 4th, then I suppose you could say he was better than Nolf. 4 is better than 3. However, as others are pointing out, Nolf is clearly the most “Hodge-worthy” wrestler to not win the award since its inception. Ruth would be close behind him.

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, Ponzi said:

Arguably, Yianni is the second best ever, Hodge or no Hodge. Fewer losses than Dake, Stieber, Smith or Lee.

But the finals wins for Yianni over Meredith, McKenna and Lovett are not nearly as impressive impressive as the others.

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Gus said:

But the finals wins for Yianni over Meredith, McKenna and Lovett are not nearly as impressive impressive as the others.

2018:  true freshman wins against 2x AA (2/4) senior Meredith (33-1 record going in, with only in-season loss to Yianni) with torn ACL

2019:  sophomore wins against 2x AA (3/3) 5th year senior McKenna (24-2 record going in, with only in-season losses to Yianni and Nick Lee)

2022:  junior wins against  Lovett (24-3 record going in, with only in-season losses to Yianni and Austin Gomez)

Combined opponent record 81-6, with *three* of those six losses coming to Yianni.

Yianni has NCAA wins over more NCAA AAs than Spencer Lee (e.g., Eierman counts as four AAs).

"Not nearly as impressive":  tough crowd.  Maybe Yianni's opponents have been tougher?  Regular decisions over Courtney and Mueller?  Regular decision over Suriano.

• Haha 1

Cox wasn't bad either.  3x champ at an upper weight, and it took a world and Olympic champ to keep him from getting 4.  Also won an Olympic medal himself while still in college.  His bonus rate wasn't as impressive because of his wrestling style, but 136-4 college record (28-0 his senior season) wasn't too shabby.

• Fire 2

9 hours ago, Ponzi said:

Arguably, Yianni is the second best ever, Hodge or no Hodge. Fewer losses than Dake, Stieber, Smith or Lee.

2nd best to Uetake?  Did Yianni win a silver olympic medal after So year and go thru career with only one loss, is that how he is 2nd?  🙄

just noticed you said "arguably" ... yea I'm arguing  🤨

Edited by ionel

5 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Dominance is a factor for Hodge. It is not designed to be a career achievement award.

You're partially correct.  Past credentials are taken into account.

The Dan Hodge Trophy is based on seven criteria including record, number of pins, dominance, past credentials, quality of competition, sportsmanship/citizenship and heart.

36 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

2018:  true freshman wins against 2x AA (2/4) senior Meredith (33-1 record going in, with only in-season loss to Yianni) with torn ACL

2019:  sophomore wins against 2x AA (3/3) 5th year senior McKenna (24-2 record going in, with only in-season losses to Yianni and Nick Lee)

2022:  junior wins against  Lovett (24-3 record going in, with only in-season losses to Yianni and Austin Gomez)

Combined opponent record 81-6, with *three* of those six losses coming to Yianni.

Yianni has NCAA wins over more NCAA AAs than Spencer Lee (e.g., Eierman counts as four AAs).

"Not nearly as impressive":  tough crowd.  Maybe Yianni's opponents have been tougher?  Regular decisions over Courtney and Mueller?  Regular decision over Suriano.

I was thinking about Yianni as second best ever so mainly putting his titles up against Dake and Stieber. You are correct and it is fair to compare him to Spencer. I would consider Spencer to have the more impressive NCAA career because of his bonus rate but can see how a person would pick Yianni.

Dake's titles are over - Montell Marion (2x finalist), Frank Molinaro (NCAA Champ, 2x finalist, 4x AA), Derek St. John (NCAA Champ, 2x Finalist, 4x AA), DT (2x Champ, 4x finalist)

Stieber's titles are over - Jordan Oliver (2x Champ, 3x finalist, 4x AA), Tony Ramos (NCAA Champ, 2x finalist, 3x AA), Devin Carter (NCAA Finalist, 3x AA), Mitchell Port (2x finalist, 3x AA)

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, KCMO2 said:

Cox wasn't bad either.  3x champ at an upper weight, and it took a world and Olympic champ to keep him from getting 4.  Also won an Olympic medal himself while still in college.  His bonus rate wasn't as impressive because of his wrestling style, but 136-4 college record (28-0 his senior season) wasn't too shabby.

To be fair he lost to McIntosh and Snyder at the 2015 ncaas , cox also didn’t score a lot of bonus points and I can’t remember too many exciting folk style matches he was involved in…someone like Nolf was must see either in the first round of the keystone classic or a big national tv dual …they hyped him vs deakin for weeks and Nolf came out and took him down like 5 times in the first period , he dominated everyone really after Imar moved up 

1 hour ago, KCMO2 said:

Cox and Yianni are very similar. Great champions, just not Hodge material. Personally, I would rather have senior world finals appearances than an age group MVP award for lighting up the scoreboard/racking up pins and I bet they feel the same.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

2 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

How many wins over national champs?

12 hours ago, Ponzi said:

I do think he is better or as good as these awesome all-time great collegiate wrestlers.  More dominant than Dake in many ways.   I do not root for him, but respect for Yianni.

• Fire 1

10 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I was going based on the previous post that counter the win over Eierman as four wins over all-Americans.

Did Burr have any "wins" after Hamilton, if so does that give Hamilton a "better loss?"  😉

• Haha 1