Boring Dual

russelscout

For me it was exciting in the moment. The lack of takedowns meant so many matches were in the balance to the very end. But after individual matches I was disappointed with the lack of offense. PSU did not get so much as a takedown in 5 matches. Iowa failed to get a takedown in 8 matches. And 3 matches were won without either team getting a takedown. Only the first 2 matches had any kind of offense (I am not including 184 because it was such a mismatch).

• Fire 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

I think you saw underdogs doing what they could to keep it close and the referee allowing them to not wrestle. 

Barlett, for instance, wanted no part of an offensive attempt against Woods. He squared up and defended all the way to a loss. Could have been dinged several times for stalling. 

Brands did nothing against Starocci. If the referee was so inclined, he could have stalled him out, yet he only got hit once, I believe. 

Perhaps the referee decided that he wasn't going to decided the outcome. 

This dual reminded me (again) that stalling is the most inconsistently called rule in the sport. 

Also, one of these guys is actually going to stick Spencer Lee with that cradle. That's twice in the last couple of weeks he's found himself inches away from being stuck. 

• Fire 3

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

That said, the real boredom came from the lack of takedown attempts. Did a losing wrestler from 133 to 285 get a takedown? Did one of them take a committed shot in the first 6 minutes of their match?

How many stalling calls were there to prod more action?  This was mostly tolerated - should it be?

2 minutes ago, TylerDurden said:

I think you saw underdogs doing what they could to keep it close and the referee allowing them to not wrestle. 

Barlett, for instance, wanted no part of an offensive attempt against Woods. He squared up and defended all the way to a loss. Could have been dinged several times for stalling. 

Brands did nothing against Starocci. If the referee was so inclined, he could have stalled him out, yet he only got hit once, I believe. 

This dual reminded me (again) that stalling is the most inconsistently called rule in the sport. 

Also, one of these guys is actually going to stick Spencer Lee with that cradle. That's twice in the last couple of weeks he's found himself inches away from being stuck. 

Good analysis!  I was thinking Bartlett had a strategy, but it was a very poor strategy.  He wrestled in in Woods's tie ups and let him dictate the pace.  Was not active or ready off the whistle and mostly reactive during the match.  The late great Dave Schultz gave a clinic and said in big matches he liked to focus on making sure he was wrestling in his tie ups and dictating the pace that he wanted.  Bartlett completely missed on that approach - but he has the video of the match and he can learn!   I think there will be a lot of adjustments we will see at B1G and NCAA's if/when more PSU v. Iowa matches occur.  If Bartlett gets Woods again, he needs a new strategery! 

37 minutes ago, TylerDurden said:

Perfect Analysis!

29 minutes ago, Jamie_Taco said:

DT nailed it.. I wonder who he is talking about..

2 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

This debate is as tired as it can get, but just switch to freestyle. Don’t waste time trying new rules in folkstyle. Make the switch to what the rest of the world does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is essentially the best way forward, bummer as it may be.  Folkstyle has been gamed into submission.  We can yell "just call stalling!" all we want, but it appears to be not happening, so lets make that as little of a focus as we can

4 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Agree. Having the crowd closer to the mat matters.

I prefer the Rec.  Never could figure out why but even when fans are cheering at max volume in the BJC the way the sound travels it's like having ear plugs in

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

18 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

I prefer the Rec.  Never could figure out why but even when fans are cheering at max volume in the BJC the way the sound travels it's like having ear plugs in

I feel like a lot of stadiums get designed w/ seriously poor acoustics, which is so odd, since there's so may architects who know what they're doing, ad we can see in sports where there is a serious home advantage to the fans going nuts WITH the good acoustics.

8 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I feel like a lot of stadiums get designed w/ seriously poor acoustics, which is so odd, since there's so may architects who know what they're doing, ad we can see in sports where there is a serious home advantage to the fans going nuts WITH the good acoustics.

I know PSU fans that have been to both Kinnick and Carver and rave about the crowd noise intensity.  I'd never choose to see a a football game in Kinnick over Beaver stadium (Whiteouts are insane) but when it comes to a wrestling  venue and based on what I've heard from fellow PSU fans I'd take Carver over BJC.  I hear it's electric 

I Don't Agree With What I Posted