Next Oklahoma State Wrestling Coach

okccoach86

9 hours ago, ionel said:

What makes for a "great place to coach?"  Is Minnesota (kind've cold), Indiana (who wants to be a hoosier) etc.?  

I worry that OSU is seen as too much as a party school to attract the type of kids who are gonna be ultra elite, they dont seem to have amazing attendance either...so basically I see a social scene that discourages discipline and doesn't care that much about wrestling...through in the poor academic reputation...maybe not the right enviroment in 2022

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

1 minute ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I worry that OSU is seen as too much as a party school to attract the type of kids who are gonna be ultra elite, they dont seem to have amazing attendance either...so basically I see a social scene that discourages discipline and doesn't care that much about wrestling...throw in the poor academic reputation...maybe not the right enviroment in 2022

Just now, Hammerlock3 said:

I worry that OSU is seen as too much as a party school to attract the type of kids who are gonna be ultra elite, they dont seem to have amazing attendance either...so basically I see a social scene that discourages discipline and doesn't care that much about wrestling...through in the poor academic reputation...maybe not the right enviroment in 2022

Don't think I've ever seen them on a top list of Party Schools (Illinois used to always make it, Wisconsin back in the day).  Think their attendance prob up there top 5 or around 5th, they sell out Iowa and Penn State (PSU rarely been there), but yeah everyone else its not half full, but they have more capacity than most.

6 minutes ago, Crablegs said:

No one mentioning Pat Pop?  He’s killing it at NC State.

I'd say Pop then Pendelton are toward top of current list but of course depends on when it happens and a couple others that could then be available.  

21 minutes ago, Crablegs said:

No one mentioning Pat Pop?  He’s killing it at NC State.

thats why i started thinking about of OSU was that great a gig, it Pop gonna go there to lead a dry program? Would he be better off in any event? How much of OSU is john smith at this point?

Who from outside the program, would even be willing to take that job, right after John Smith? Sure it seems like a great place to coach, has a lot of history, money doesn't seem to be an issue, no problem landing blue chip kids, and their attendance is not as bad as someone mentioned. But after 1 season and no team trophy, and they would be looking for a replacement. 

I went to Boise State dual in Stillwater back when J.O. was #1 & Hochstrasser was #2 at 133. It was a great dual and about 3/4 capacity.  

21 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

thats why i started thinking about of OSU was that great a gig, it Pop gonna go there to lead a dry program? Would he be better off in any event? How much of OSU is john smith at this point?

Hardly a "dry program" when you look at who they've had and who is coming in.  Pop could pull a Tom/Cael double team and win it first year, would've worked a couple years ago, prob work at some point in the future. 

That said, AJ did temporarily blow up the team.  

3 minutes ago, ionel said:

Hardly a "dry program" when you look at who they've had and who is coming in.  Pop could pull a Tom/Cael double team and win it first year, would've worked a couple years ago, prob work at some point in the future. 

I think what Hammerlock3 meant by "dry program" is that Pop doesn't allow drinking by his athletes. He runs a tight ship and it is not for everyone, but it seems to be working well in Raleigh. 

10 minutes ago, TexRef said:

I think what Hammerlock3 meant by "dry program" is that Pop doesn't allow drinking by his athletes. He runs a tight ship and it is not for everyone, but it seems to be working well in Raleigh. 

ahh ... but I do think it can work, Pop seems to know how to sell it The Team and recruites.  

19 minutes ago, ionel said:

ncst is dry

23 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

You are describing Arizona State.  They seem to be doing fine with all of those "limitations"....

2 minutes ago, Warm Up Champ said:

Chris Pendleton has said he is in it for the long haul at Oregon State.  I hope this is true!

And Tom threw his keys down on the counter top in Blacksburg.  

Edited by ionel
  • Stalling 1

44 minutes ago, Warm Up Champ said:

You are describing Arizona State.  They seem to be doing fine with all of those "limitations"....

The crucial difference would be that its a lot easier to draw kids to tempe. So it has the same strengths but better, same weaknesses perhaps, but the have california to recruit also.

Think before you snear.