Worlds 2023

cowcards

Hi all,

I'm glad this board is up and running.  

2023 Worlds may be interesting.   See how many of our 2022 squad will return.

Upper weights are getting just a little older so who knows what young buck will come and be a spoiler. 

mspart

• Fire 1

I think 2023 is going to be bat$HlT for our WTT.  A lot of 2024 Olympic hopefuls are going to come out and look to snag a spot for a shot to medal, which gives them a bye to the semi-finals at the Olympic weight.

I think we see quite a few folks try to snipe 61 and 92, no disrespect to Gross/Fix.  It's just going to be easier to earn that 92 spot than go through Taylor or Snyder.  Dare I say the same for guys like Arujau at 61 KG, too?

Anyone care to guess who might give those non-Oly weights a go for this?  Worlds tends to start thinning out at those weights the year before Olympics.

Also, we know Cox is going 97 KG.  Didn't JB say the same about going 74 KG for 2023 as well, or am I misremembering?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Hey everyone, good to see you all here.   I'm really glad Bob was able to make this happen. 

Istanbul is a neat place to visit.   I've been there for 6 weeks and here is what i would recommend.

1.  Hagia Sofia - this is a catholic basilica turned islamic mosque, turned museum.   The Moslems only covered the artwork from the Christian era and those are pretty cool to see.   Built in 900 AD or so, it is ginormously huge and cavernous and I think it is a marvel  of architecture and building know how for those days.   I went twice because it was so AWESOME. 

2.  The Cistern - This dates back to Roman times BC and has interesting history and a nice surprise at the end of the cavern.   Very much worth seeing.

3.  The Grand Bazzaar - This place is also huge and you could get lost in there for days.   Plan a good 3-5 hours to see everything if you want to shop for stuff.   Normal folks go there to buy stuff so it is a local market as well as an international attraction. 

4.  The Bosphorus - Take a boat ride up the Bospherus to the Black Sea.   As you head up it, Europe is on your left, Asia on your right.   They usually stop at a tourist trap  where you can eat before taking the boat back to Istanbul.   I met a couple from Barcelona on that boat and was able to communicate in Spanish with them.   At the time I was pretty good with my Spanish. 

5.  The Blue Mosque - Not near as monstrous at Hagia Sofia but interesting with all the tile work. 

6.  Simmit - This is a bread that all the street venders sell.  It is like a long stick.   Very good.   Buy it and try it. 

7.  Doner - This is the Gyro of Turkey and it is very good, highly recommend it.

8.  The Topkapi Palace - I almost forgot this.   Nice to visit if you are there.   I liked it but it was not a highlight.   Harem history and all kinds of gnarly war weapons. 

When you drive around and see old walls, those are from before Roman times.   Istanbul is an old old city with lots of history.   Istanbul would be an outstanding place to have the WCs and be sure to spend time before or after to visit the sights. 

mspart

• Fire 7

Istanbul is a no brainer really.   History, they love wrestling, great sights to see and experience.  

When I was on another trip, a couple went with us and they were planning to hit Istanboooool since in the neighborhood.   They had a bit of an accent for sure.  

mspart

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Radik of themat.com forums said:

Hello everyone! maybe, you guys remember me, i'm a good friend of "coach J", "Cletus Tucker" and etc. I was very popular on the old board 2015-2019. So i come back! Old nickname was "Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin"

Russian voice for you! 

Здравствуйте (Zdravstvuyte)

^^^ A Welcoming return for all you hamburger-eating American Friends^^^

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

15 hours ago, de4856 said:

Well as far as our 2023 MFS team goes, I think that it’s going to be quite exciting to see who ends up making the team and how they do. 

What are your predictions as to who it is?

6 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

I'm your Huckleberry...

Let's do the most interesting team first.  😉

50kg Hildebrandt
53kg Parrish
55kg Winchester
57kg Maroulis
59kg Nelson
62kg Miracle
65kg Velte
68kg Mensah-Stock
72kg Elor
76kg Grey

?!

Already?

8 hours ago, nhs67 said:

What are your predictions as to who it is?

Well this is kind of tough, 57, Gilman is the guy, but is this the year we see Spencer Lee makes his anticipated move to be our rep at 57?
At 61, I think that it’ll be Gross vs Fix, again but I think RBY has a decent chance if that’s the direction he wants to go. 
65, Yianni.
70, Zain.
74, Dake. 
79, JB. 
86, DT. 
92, ?? Nate Jackson? Kollin Moore? Jacob Cardenas a Silver medalist at U23? 
97, SnyderMan. 
125, Zillmer? But Parris, Kerkvliet , or Cass could end up being the guy. 
Aa far as Greco and our Women’s teams go, I will have to look at it more.