Cael Sanderson individual NCAA titles as a coach

fishbane

On 1/3/2023 at 8:09 PM, fishbane said:

Not sure on that, but Sanderson is 6th all time in individual AAs.

1) Harold Nichols 156
2) Dan Gable 152
3) John Smith 150
4) Jay Robinson 124
5) Bobby Douglas 110
6) Cael Sanderson 90

The totals for Sanderson and Smith probably include 2020 no tournament AAs.

What a great list of coaches!!!

On 1/4/2023 at 8:40 AM, jchapman said:

Weren't there more teams, and therefore more total participants for each AA spot, when Gable coached?  We could argue that Top 8 out of 80ish teams is easier than Top 8 out of 120ish teams.  I don't know the exact numbers, just plugging some in to illustrate the point.  

When Dr. Harold Nichols coached there was no limit on number of scholarships if I remember correctly.

• Fire 1

Weren't there more teams, and therefore more total participants for each AA spot, when Gable coached?  We could argue that Top 8 out of 80ish teams is easier than Top 8 out of 120ish teams.  I don't know the exact numbers, just plugging some in to illustrate the point.  

2 hours ago, Fadzaev2 said:

When Dr. Harold Nichols coached there was no limit on number of scholarships if I remember correctly.

I good friend of mine was in the room there back then and said there might be as many 30 state champions in that room....it was a meat grinder for back then.

22 hours ago, MPhillips said:

He really should get something for the effort.  His work is shared far and wide. 

Perhaps there is a local wrestling club he would like to see recognized. Just hopefully nothing to do with that damned gold dot? Maybe a local cowboy boots store or something 😉🤣

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

6 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Perhaps there is a local wrestling club he would like to see recognized. Just hopefully nothing to do with that damned gold dot? Maybe a local cowboy boots store or something 😉🤣

I lived a few hundred yards from that damned gold dot for about 30 years. And I was always curious about the cowboy boots and handlebar mustache in surburban Chicago. Never made sense to me.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I lived a few hundred yards from that damned gold dot for about 30 years. And I was always curious about the cowboy boots and handlebar mustache in surburban Chicago. Never made sense to me.

Suburban cowboys.

Edited by BerniePragle
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Never made sense but it left an impression and the results spoke for themselves. I mean, uh, my friend said that. Begrudgingly haha

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

35 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Have my curiosity going.  What are you talking about.

I will say though that there's heck of a lot of good cowpoke music that has come out of Chicago for almost 30 years, thanks to Bloodshot Records.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

1 hour ago, Ban Basketball said:

Have my curiosity going.  What are you talking about.

I will say though that there's heck of a lot of good cowpoke music that has come out of Chicago for almost 30 years, thanks to Bloodshot Records.

Glenbard North HS in Carol Stream, IL. Home of Tony Ramos, Austin Gomez, Abe Assad, and Billy Corrigan. Coach Hahn always wore cowboy boots, dominated the conference, and was not every competotor's favorite. He also owns a barn across the street with a gold dot on the roof. Only GN wrestlers are allowed to know its meaning.

https://illinoismatmen.com/forum/forum/statewide/ihsa-3a/43276-gbn-hatred/page4

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1992-08-09-9203110535-story.html

image.png.6d8085313e283f388152ba63aa921956.png

• Fire 1

29 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Glenbard North HS in Carol Stream, IL. Home of Tony Ramos, Austin Gomez, Abe Assad, and Billy Corrigan. Coach Hahn always wore cowboy boots, dominated the conference, and was not every competotor's favorite. He also owns a barn across the street with a gold dot on the roof. Only GN wrestlers are allowed to know its meaning.

https://illinoismatmen.com/forum/forum/statewide/ihsa-3a/43276-gbn-hatred/page4

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1992-08-09-9203110535-story.html

image.png.6d8085313e283f388152ba63aa921956.png

Ah, gotcha. In the boots department,  I'll bet he has nothing on Mike Zadick. I always expected his boots to puncture holes in the mats when he walks on them. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

How many of those 120 per weight were worthy competition? 

On 1/14/2023 at 5:17 AM, Tigerfan said:

2 questions for the guru of stats. 

Could you do a list for active coaches only?

I assume your AA numbers reflect 4 AA’s for a single, 4x AA stud. Could you show # of unique wrestlers to AA? Does a coach who gets 10 guys to AA 12x deserve more or less credit than a coach who gets 3 guys to AA 12x?

Curses @Tigerfan. You got in my head. I am almost finished compiling all AA's by year (1928 - 2022), weight, school, name, and seed. What I do not have is Coach by school and year. If you or anyone else is so inclined to put together a such a list, I would be much obliged.

21 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Curses @Tigerfan. You got in my head. I am almost finished compiling all AA's by year (1928 - 2022), weight, school, name, and seed. What I do not have is Coach by school and year. If you or anyone else is so inclined to put together a such a list, I would be much obliged.

Terribly sorry WKN, but I’m too busy to help bake the bread, but I will help eat it.