Speaker of the House

Mike Parrish

So now you are looking to Stonekettle to argue for you?   He first says he is unconcerned then calls them names for not getting this done.   He can't even figure out what he wants and you are looking to him to help argue this for you?

Who is this guy anyway?    Never heard of him.   Why do I care what he says?   I don't.  I admit it would be nice for them to get this settled, but apparently McCarthy, the heir apparent, isn't so apparent.   As long as nothing gets done, no further damage is happening. 

mspart

6 minutes ago, mspart said:

So now you are looking to Stonekettle to argue for you?   He first says he is unconcerned then calls them names for not getting this done.   He can't even figure out what he wants and you are looking to him to help argue this for you?

Who is this guy anyway?    Never heard of him.   Why do I care what he says?   I don't.  I admit it would be nice for them to get this settled, but apparently McCarthy, the heir apparent, isn't so apparent.   As long as nothing gets done, no further damage is happening. 

mspart

You seem very invested in my posting on this topic.

Like crazy ex-girlfriend deep.

Maybe take a break, huh?

I don't care if you post on this thread or not.   But you seem very invested because you started it and post the most on this.   I asked you why you are concerned and you still have not answered that question.   I see you are tired of arguing and not answering direct questions.   That can wear on a guy I understand.  

You ask why I don't care, but I have answered that numerous times in this thread.    All you have to do is read, and that direct answer is there in numerous posts.   I have been very direct and clear.   If you choose not to read them and understand them, that is not on me. 

I sense you are just argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.   Whenever anyone, including me, asks you a direct question, nothing but deflection or obfuscation is provided.  That can wear on a guy to have to do that all the time, whereas just answering the question would end it.   Seems like a simple approach you might try.  

I enjoy your posts on the international board, full of great insight and actual facts and data.   Very much unlike your political posts which are just opinion with no actual facts behind them.   Opinion is ok.  Everyone has one.  But your attempts to prove your point by pointing to other opinions void of any actual data is not proving your point.  That is ok, everyone has their deal going and I'm passionate about what I believe too.  But I attempt to answer questions directly and show facts and data to bolster my point of view.  

But if you want to take a break, that's good.   Probably be better all around.

mspart

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mspart said:

I don't care if you post on this thread or not.   But you seem very invested because you started it and post the most on this.   I asked you why you are concerned and you still have not answered that question.   I see you are tired of arguing and not answering direct questions.   That can wear on a guy I understand.  

You ask why I don't care, but I have answered that numerous times in this thread.    All you have to do is read, and that direct answer is there in numerous posts.   I have been very direct and clear.   If you choose not to read them and understand them, that is not on me. 

I sense you are just argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.   Whenever anyone, including me, asks you a direct question, nothing but deflection or obfuscation is provided.  That can wear on a guy to have to do that all the time, whereas just answering the question would end it.   Seems like a simple approach you might try.  

I enjoy your posts on the international board, full of great insight and actual facts and data.   Very much unlike your political posts which are just opinion with no actual facts behind them.   Opinion is ok.  Everyone has one.  But your attempts to prove your point by pointing to other opinions void of any actual data is not proving your point.  That is ok, everyone has their deal going and I'm passionate about what I believe too.  But I attempt to answer questions directly and show facts and data to bolster my point of view.  

But if you want to take a break, that's good.   Probably be better all around.

mspart

If you didn't care, you wouldn't post on the thread.  He has also answered your direct question

42 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

It's an odd question.

Why do you care that the basic functions of government aren't working?

I'm a Patriot.
Why DON'T you care?

You may not like that answer, but it's an answer.

• Fire 1

Our federal government was designed to work slowly through comprimise. It requires consensus and doesn't deny congressional minorities a voice. It's roll in our lives was never supposed to be this big. This is annoying to know it alls who think they have all the answers and can't mind their own business. They see this process as dysfunction, when it's actually a gift of the time to be thoughtful about action and shed light on views that are not popular. (Like quit spending money we don't have for instance.)

Even with a process designed for debate and the ability to hear from all sides, our government is still reactionary, easily distracted and short sighted. I can only imagine how bad it would be if they were able to screw things up even faster. Let them play their games, they will be "fixing" things again soon enough.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

everything.jpeg

It cost this:

1. As has been reported, it will only take a single congressperson, acting in what is known as a Jeffersonian Motion, to move to remove the Speaker if he or she goes back on their word or policy agenda.
  2. A “Church” style committee will be convened to look into the weaponization of the FBI and other government organizations (presumably the CIA, the subject of the original Church Committee) against the American people.
  3. Term limits will be put up for a vote.
  4. Bills presented to Congress will be single subject, not omnibus with all the attendant earmarks, and there will be a 72-hour minimum period to read them.
  5. The Texas Border Plan will be put before Congress. From The Hill: “The four-pronged plan aims to ‘Complete Physical Border Infrastructure,’ ‘Fix Border Enforcement Policies,’ ‘Enforce our Laws in the Interior’ and ‘Target Cartels & Criminal Organizations.’”
  6. COVID mandates will be ended as will all funding for them, including so-called “emergency funding.”
  7. Budget bills would stop the endless increases in the debt ceiling and hold the Senate accountable for the same.

I would have to say item 1 is not good, Item 3 is a no go, SCOTUS won't allow it.   Has to be a Constitutional Amendment, not some law.  Been through this already.  Items 2, 4, and 5 are good.   Item 6, I'm on the fence about that.   Still lots of folks have been hurt by that downturn.   Item 7 won't happen.     There's the facts and my opinion about them.

mspart

Edited by mspart

1: Gun to the head of the speaker. Back we go to 15 rounds of voting at the drop of a hat. I don't see Kevin McCarthy lasting 3 months.

2:This is a dead letter. The past two years have shown that congressional subpoenas can safely be taken to court and stymied. In addition, there are issues of classification and disclosure that would need to be adjudicated. I don't see the House prevailing in court.

3: As you said

4: How will amendments work? What does this do to the Defense Spending bills? What about adopting a budget? I think this is also a dead letter since it seems to be impractical on the face. We shall see.

5: It won't pass the Senate and it won't be signed. Dead letter.

6: Does this include federal spending for additional vaccine development research and support, testing, home tests, masks, hospital capacity improvement, etc, etc. I think this will be more contentious than you think.

7: Does this mean they're going to cut the Defense budget? Are they going to tell senior citizens that they're cutting Social Security and Medicare (sounds like political suicide for the GOP given the demographics)? Are they going to stop making payments on the national debt? Are they going to raise vast new taxes? This just violates math.

Edited by Mike Parrish

I think McCarthy's tenure as speaker will be very short.

Giving the Chaos Caucus the Motion to Vacate the Speaker implies they'll threaten him with it at every opportunity, either explicitly or implicitly.

This would be like giving that psycho dad control over your dual lineup or season tournament schedule.

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mspart said:

What are the odds that the Ds use this at least once a week?

So in general Mike, you are not supportive of any of these concessions?

mspart

Zero.

You have to be a part of the majority caucus to offer Motion to Vacate the Speaker.

I don't think they have any realistic chance to go anywhere.

I think these 'proposals' arise from people with limited understanding of how government actually works.

Here's a pretty good article on The Deal

https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2023/Items/Jan09-1.html

Edited by Mike Parrish