New Ads

Ionel sez: I don't want a different browser just for this site, using same browser across three platforms.  Its crazy that these ads take away functions from the forum.  I'd look for a new ad approach.  It is very frustrating.  

^^^^^This^^^^^

Sometimes, it's like playing wack-a-mole w/ these adds... you X one out, and another one comes around and takes it's place.

(Frustrating, indeed!)

D3

Edited by D3 for LU

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

5 hours ago, ionel said:

Mine is getting worse, more and more of this rap around border pop up, no screen function when its there.  I always have two ads in bottom right and when get a forum notice of new reply a pop up overlays it so can't hit view.  This is on both phone and tablet.  Away from home now but when return going to check our ad blockers options.  

Same here

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

image.thumb.png.8114c5250dc2bfa99a933a40886fc5e1.png

On my work computers using Chrome, I cannot read the Thread titles. It is not always like this, but it happens sometimes. Maybe avoid the option of adds on the left when looking at the Forum. There is always more space on the right and it is not always relevant to most website visitors.

My hot take is that if it could be fixed it would have been fixed already. Usually there are a few minor tweaks post-deployment but the ads here need MAJOR adjustments so the two likely explanations are that it's either a low-skill DIY job or a "meh, we'll get to it when/if we get to it" kind of situation. There's just no way an engaged and capable ad group puts out a product with so many problems on Day 1 and makes no improvements by Day 30. I'm not trying to be a snob about it, just relaying my experience from the web dev world. 

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

The comparison to chrome on a lap top is silly.  In my opinion at least.  The screen canvas space on a desktop / laptop / whatever is massive compared to a smart phone.  

the world isn’t using desktop / laptops like they used to.  They are a dying medium.   60/70-% of the worlds web traffic is on smart phones.   So follow the $ there relative to ad revenue.  

it’s none of my business….. I asked a long time ago what this sites costs are.  The folks who host this for us need not be paying out of their pocket…… but the cost of a forum with minuscule traffic is not high.   We don’t have a lot of traffic.    Anything in tech can be fixed.   The service “could” be dropped.  

i don’t want to run an ad blocking service.  Believe it or not some sites I need to go to do not allow you to browse with it turned on so I have to toggle it on / off or use a different browser.   

The experience stinks.  If 70/80/90+% turn on ad blockers they aren’t getting revenue anyway …. If we all leave and go to (lol) pat minnow’s Facebook group or twitter or x …… they aren’t getting revenue anyway.   

• Brain 1

No one can resurrect Bob and Willie bit short on time to deal with it.  Maybe we should look for an obscure under used forum, say something like women's badminton, that we could all jump to and take over.  I say we send Jimmy out as an advance scout.  If there's no push back on JC's posts then they're probably ripe for the taking we all move over enmass and they won't know what hit em.  What say you? 

• Haha 2

On 9/10/2024 at 6:31 PM, Husker_Du said:

THAT's IT. and that's the way it's staying.

What a “Flo” way to look at it. Refuse to address and fix glaring issues. The site is absolutely unreadable for me on an iPhone. I understand you need to make money but you won’t make any money without any traffic. 

On 9/26/2024 at 11:31 AM, D3 for LU said:

Ionel sez: I don't want a different browser just for this site, using same browser across three platforms.  Its crazy that these ads take away functions from the forum.  I'd look for a new ad approach.  It is very frustrating.  

^^^^^This^^^^^

Sometimes, it's like playing wack-a-mole w/ these adds... you X one out, and another one comes around and takes it's place.

(Frustrating, indeed!)

D3

where is this happening? 

i have zero issues on either mobile or desktop.

and i have no ad blockers or anything.

i truly do not see where this is occurring. 

TBD

5 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

where is this happening? 

It’s the same as the 50 million pics posted in these threads.  I turned off my ad blocker and boom they’re everywhere.  I would post a pic but this site blocks that too.   

5 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

where is this happening? 

Android smart phone & tablet Google Chrome.  Also laptop with Chrome just not quite as bad and rarely use laptop for forums.  

4 hours ago, ionel said:

So ~month till start of college wrestling season, will we have our working forum back by then?  

The, "powers" do not believe you...:classic_dry:

On 9/28/2024 at 10:45 AM, Husker_Du said:

where is this happening?