Would you rather-Oylimpic Set-up

FWwrestling

Last week got me thinking about the structure of wrestling at the Oylimpics.  I have always heard it is structured how it is because of number of matches, time, number of atheletes.  The double bronze, to get more countries represented in the medals.  So with that I was brainstorming options for the set-up of wrestling. So would you rather have....

A.Structure as is, bracket and repechage, double bronze

B. 6 weights, full wrestle backs to a true third.

C. 10 weight classes, but no repechage or wrestle backs. Wreslte to the semis, if you win you go for 1st/2nd losers in semis wrestle for 3rd/4th

D. 6 Weights, wreslters in pools of 4.  Pool top two advance, wreslte 8 man bracket to gold, silver, bronze

E. 10 weights, wrestlers in pools of 4.  Only pool winner advances, 4 man bracket, winners go 1/2, losers 3/4

Obviously there are a ton of other options, so f you have any that you think would work the best please share.

Double bronze is good for the sport. The UWW knows that the IOC likes to see a diverse group of countries medaling. For some countries it’s their only medal. Albania for instance. Eliminating a bronze would likely prevent some of these countries from earning a medal. 

Let’s keep the ioc as happy as possible. 

• Poopy 1

53 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Double bronze is good for the sport. The UWW knows that the IOC likes to see a diverse group of countries medaling. For some countries it’s their only medal. Albania for instance. Eliminating a bronze would likely prevent some of these countries from earning a medal. 

Let’s keep the ioc as happy as possible. 

Why not double bronze in bb, vb, etc.  shoot just give an extra bronze to all the 4th place, lots of happiness.  😀

56 minutes ago, ionel said:

Why not double bronze in bb, vb, etc.  shoot just give an extra bronze to all the 4th place, lots of happiness.  😀

I would be opposed to it in women’s beach volleyball. We need as many matches as possible. 

But we are just falling in line with other combat sports. Also notice basketball and volleyball have been adding events…

43 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

34 man bracket. 3 minute, single period sprint matches. Repechage is OK. Get fuxing rid of grounding. 

I don't know what I'm talking about 

You're not far off. I feel like Beach Wrestling has been gaining some traction and could one day threaten to replace FS or G. Easy to follow, easy to participate, fun atmosphere, quick (3 min matches/win at 3pts). A little lacking in technique, sadly. But maybe we could learn a thing or two from the beach format.

Edited by CHROMEBIRD

13 minutes ago, 152lbs said:

Eliminate wrestling from the Olympics.  Host Worlds with 10 weights each year.  True double elimination from the first match.  Seed to 12.

Once wrestling is actually eliminated from the Olympics, more schools will drop since that's why they keep them.

26 minutes ago, 152lbs said:

Eliminate wrestling from the Olympics.  Host Worlds with 10 weights each year.  True double elimination from the first match.  Seed to 12.

Wrestling would die everywhere but the US and worlds would become an amateur event that the US techs and pins everyone at. 

40 minutes ago, forkemaz said:

When and what was the problems they had?

The pools were random draws and the topt wo wrestlers could end in the same pool.

Satiev did not advance out of his pool in 2000, when he was upset by Slay.

Lots of b1tching by US fans on how unfair the draws were for US wrestlers for every international tournament and how the fix was n against the US. Most of "they are out to get us" conspiracy theory has gone away as the US has gotten better in Freestyle

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, Jim L said:

The pools were random draws and the topt wo wrestlers could end in the same pool.

Lots of b1tching by US fans on how unfair the draws were for US wrestlers for every international tournament and how the fix was n against the US. Most of "they are out to get us" conspiracy theory has gone away as the US has gotten better in Freestyle

So if we seeded for the pools and say 1,8,12 16 were a pool. And then we reseed for the tournament based on the pool outcomes, does that fix the problem? Then everyone gets a minimum 3 matches and its 6 or possibly 7 to win the whole thing. I havent mathed out if the pools can end with everyone tied or anything.

Definitely we want more weights. The issue that a lot of people don’t realize is that it has nothing to do with the number of medals. It’s all about the number of participants. So to get more weights you’d have to make the brackets smaller than 16 (which no countries outside of the top 3 or 4 would vote for), or cut Greco which might sound like a good idea to US but not the rest of the world. So we are pretty much stuck

• Bob 3

On 8/12/2024 at 3:26 PM, Bigbrog said:

10 weights with double elimination and true wrestle backs to 3rd.

Absolutely this.

I hate how guys have to make a decision to cut 20 pounds or gain 20 pounds if they're a tweener.

Also...I can't help but go back to the Australian Breakdancer. 

There's some added commentary here...but I feel like this is the video you need to provide to the IOC when arguing, 'really? We can't get 4 more weights? REALLY?'

• Bob 1

3 hours ago, Jim L said:

Yeah...also, they kinda were out to get us. 

See, Kolat, Cary.

16 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Yeah...also, they kinda were out to get us. 

See, Kolat, Cary.

I agree with you on Kolat, but in general US wrestling fans saw conspiracy everywhere when simple incompetency was the best explanation.