The Brands'should have trained the team

29 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

Russia didn’t send their best athletes. How many medals do we have if they did? Do we think Iran, Japan, and Russia should all be better than the US?

Look at the TV ratings of NCAAs by year if you don’t believe that there are serious problems. 

No...I won't just look at the ratings...I went to watch the Finals this past year at a friends house(an old guy who's about 60) with ~10-14 people and he was streaming it. He struggles with basic technology, but he's cut the cord and is streaming. So...yeah, ratings are less meaningful to me now than they've ever been. 

We did consider going to ST Louis this year until we looked at the price of the tickets...and they were still sold out. So...yeah, I'm not seeing the sky falling as others are. 

As for Russia not sending their best athletes, they didn't? Seems like they sent quite a few of their best, but sure, the Russian Federation wasn't there. 6 weights, A silver, a couple Bronze and two guys still Wrestling one favored to win another Bronze...again, not seeing the sky falling quite like others are.

If Brooks holds on and Lee gets a TD, are we having this conversation? Are we really two exchanges away from an entirely different conversation about the state of not just MFS...but ALL of US Wrestling?

• Bob 2

Just now, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I mean, I’ve seen the same picture as everyone else. 

Supposedly trying 92 kg for non-Olympic worlds. 

Duh.  Brain fart on my part

• Bob 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

1 hour ago, billyhoyle said:

1. More competition between RTCs. The NLWC has all the best guys, but with so many on one team, are they able to provide enough time to each athlete to scout international competition? I’m hoping Taylor can do this with OSU. Ohio RTC needs a resurgence, and HWC should be more than a 57 kg machine. 

2. More international competition early on. I think we need to incentivize our junior athletes to compete internationally to become more familiar with freestyle while they are developing. Junior worlds and U23 is not enough. The best NCAA guys should be entering senior international freestyle tournaments, and the RTCs should fund it. 

3. Switch folkstyle to freestyle. NCAA wrestling has been declining in popularity for a decade. Ratings are down, attendance is not what it used to be. With NIL, we are about to lose more programs. Women’s NCAA wrestling is starting up and is freestyle. The men should be doing freestyle as well. 

And I’m also open to thinking there are answers beyond this. But yeah, the general attitude seems to be this was a great performance as a team, so I doubt anything happens. 

Who said it was a great performance?  Pretty much everything I’ve seen is that it was disappointing.  Which IMO just shows how good we are if a silver and 2+ bronzes out of 6 weights is disappointing.

I wish #1 happens, but it’s not like NLWC having all the best guys was intentional on the part of anyone but NLWC.   And I’m sure guys would/will leave if they feel it’s not the best place for them.  

#2 sounds good too.  What time of year are some of the main tournaments that would be good for them to enter and how does that conflict with the college season?  I know many have been clamoring for NCAA wrestling to be a 1 semester sport maybe that could go along with guys wrestling more internationally.

But you lose me on #3, especially if you think it will help NCAA ratings/attendance.  I know the school affiliation is why folkstyle has more fans, but I don’t buy that switching to free which most casual fans have hardly ever watched would actually help.  And honestly I’m not sure folk really hurts free performance as we’ve had several guys win Olympics or worlds during or shortly after college.  It does certainly seem like we need to develop better par terre, but I’m not sure that’s a folkstyle problem.  Snyder has zero par terre offense and he’s been full time freestyle for like 6 years.

• Bob 1

Just now, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Crazy thing is, Saduleev was suspended in the past by making a political statement in wearing a tshirt that could easily be construed as being against Russian rule of Dagestan. It’s not like he has always been hardline pro-Putin and pro-Russia. 

Hear about it all the time about the influence and fear that scum lord Ramzan Kadyrov has over the Dagestani/Chechen fighters in the UFC.  Sure same goes with the wrestlers.

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Who said it was a great performance?  Pretty much everything I’ve seen is that it was disappointing.  Which IMO just shows how good we are if a silver and 2+ bronzes out of 6 weights is disappointing.

I wish #1 happens, but it’s not like NLWC having all the best guys was intentional on the part of anyone but NLWC.   And I’m sure guys would/will leave if they feel it’s not the best place for them.  

#2 sounds good too.  What time of year are some of the main tournaments that would be good for them to enter and how does that conflict with the college season?  I know many have been clamoring for NCAA wrestling to be a 1 semester sport maybe that could go along with guys wrestling more internationally.

But you lose me on #3, especially if you think it will help NCAA ratings/attendance.  I know the school affiliation is why folkstyle has more fans, but I don’t buy that switching to free which most casual fans have hardly ever watched would actually help.  And honestly I’m not sure folk really hurts free performance as we’ve had several guys win Olympics or worlds during or shortly after college.  It does certainly seem like we need to develop better par terre, but I’m not sure that’s a folkstyle problem.  Snyder has zero par terre offense and he’s been full time freestyle for like 6 years.

The NCAA wrestling product is less exciting compared to freestyle. We also have fewer marquee athletes at NCAAs than we would if there were world/olympic champs regularly competing (which there would be if we wrestled freestyle). I’m not saying that’s the only issue driving the decline in the popularity of the sport, but it’s a major one. 

19 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

The NCAA wrestling product is less exciting compared to freestyle. We also have fewer marquee athletes at NCAAs than we would if there were world/olympic champs regularly competing (which there would be if we wrestled freestyle). I’m not saying that’s the only issue driving the decline in the popularity of the sport, but it’s a major one. 

Freestyle may be marginally more exciting, but not enough to make a “major” difference IMO.   I also think criteria is one of the main reasons it is more exciting but it’s not something that casual fans would easily understand IMO.

Definitely disagree about the “marquee athlete” thing.   The fans are in the NCAA, so the athletes become “marquee” due to their NCAA success.  And keep in mind there are events like the Bill Farrell where we’ve got tons of “marquee” wrestlers competing yet hardly any fans.

So I assume your opinion is that if we switched to freestyle at all levels that we would “regularly” have World and Olympic champs competing in college?

29 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Hear about it all the time about the influence and fear that scum lord Ramzan Kadyrov has over the Dagestani/Chechen fighters in the UFC.  Sure same goes with the wrestlers.

Yeah, I REALLY struggle to fault a Russian for his political views when high-profile people can end up dead if they speak out.

People are just people. They want to live their lives, they want to get up, go about their business. If you're a world class Wrestler, you just want to Wrestle, take care of your Family. I don't like assigning malicious intent to these athletes unless just unprompted they start spewing propaganda. 

Good reminder...even if you don't always love the person we've got in power, we're incredibly lucky to be able to say whatever the duck duck goose we want...(except when Bob Dole censors me😜).

How sad would it be if Snyder couldn't Wrestle because he spoke out against Biden/Trump-whoever for their foreign policies? Everyone I know would be in prison for...SOME reason over the last ~20 years. 

• Bob 1

1 minute ago, scourge165 said:

Yeah, I REALLY struggle to fault a Russian for his political views when high-profile people can end up dead if they speak out.

People are just people. They want to live their lives, they want to get up, go about their business. If you're a world class Wrestler, you just want to Wrestle, take care of your Family. I don't like assigning malicious intent to these athletes unless just unprompted they start spewing propaganda. 

Good reminder...even if you don't always love the person we've got in power, we're incredibly lucky to be able to say whatever the duck duck goose we want...(except when Bob Dole censors me😜).

How sad would it be if Snyder couldn't Wrestle because he spoke out against Biden/Trump-whoever for their foreign policies? Everyone I know would be in prison for...SOME reason over the last ~20 years. 

`Speaking of Bob Dole when is his twin Keir Starmer going to join the forum?

8 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

5 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

`Speaking of Bob Dole when is his twin Keir Starmer going to join the forum?

I hear the Zoo is wonderful this time of year.  If you don't agree - vote for ionel in 24.

3 hours ago, peanut said:

Burroughs has ruined your expectations. It's not normal for a dude to rack up gold after gold. You guys started think your favorite NCAA guy could do the same. Nearly 100% of the time, it's just not so.

Last time US didn’t win a MFS gold was over 50 years ago. Burroughs wasn’t born

1 hour ago, billyhoyle said:

I agree, freestyle is more exciting. But there's another reason to switch to freestyle: folkstyle is a dead end; it's literally just a school sport in selected states, with wild disparity between states and regions. It's not fair for these athletes to spend so much time on folkstyle when it leads absolutely nowhere. Why not focus on a style that has international tournaments, world and Olympic championships? Folkstyle wrestling is struggling because it has no opportunities outside of high school and college. We've given it a long time to grow, and it hasn't. It's time to make the switch.

• Brain 1

5 minutes ago, MJD said:

I agree, freestyle is more exciting. But there's another reason to switch to freestyle: folkstyle is a dead end; it's literally just a school sport in selected states ...

... maybe crack a book instead ... 🙅‍♀️

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Crazy thing is, Saduleev was suspended in the past by making a political statement in wearing a tshirt that could easily be construed as being against Russian rule of Dagestan. It’s not like he has always been hardline pro-Putin and pro-Russia. 

It's insane...yet convicted child Rapists were allowed to compete at the Paris Olympics.

51 minutes ago, MJD said:

I agree, freestyle is more exciting. But there's another reason to switch to freestyle: folkstyle is a dead end; it's literally just a school sport in selected states, with wild disparity between states and regions. It's not fair for these athletes to spend so much time on folkstyle when it leads absolutely nowhere. Why not focus on a style that has international tournaments, world and Olympic championships? Folkstyle wrestling is struggling because it has no opportunities outside of high school and college. We've given it a long time to grow, and it hasn't. It's time to make the switch.

5 of 6 guys medaled right.   The sky isn’t falling.   Also freestyle is insanely less popular in the us.  Look at attendance #s to the high school state tournament in IL vs let say…. The us open or the wtt or the ott.    It’s crazy that the freestyle minority always has to have this convo every year.   Someone said the female freestyle in college proves it works (or something like that).  Are any women’s programs drawing the crowd that NCAAs does ?     

This is probably? The most popular wrestling message board in the us?   I assume it is.  The rules In freestyle are so confusing that there are endless debates where people can’t even distinguish what a passivity rule is…. Hold the center ?  Action ?    It’s simply not as popular as folkstyle.   The $ says so.   

Please stop trying to ruin folkstyle with this crazy rule set.  Folkstyle is action packed.   Compare even post counts from the college forum vs this forum.   College dominates the # of posts by a landslide.   Even the non wrestling topic forum bears this by post volume/counts.  

• Bob 1

2 minutes ago, Caveira said:

5 of 6 guys medaled right.   The sky isn’t falling.   Also freestyle is insanely less popular in the us.  Look at attendance #s to the high school state tournament in IL vs let say…. The us open or the wtt or the ott.    It’s crazy that the freestyle minority always has to have this convo every year.   Someone said the female freestyle in college proves it works (or something like that).  Are any women’s programs drawing the crowd that NCAAs does ?     

This is probably? The most popular wrestling message board in the us?   I assume it is.  The rules In freestyle are so confusing that there are endless debates where people can’t even distinguish what a passivity rule is…. Hold the center ?  Action ?    It’s simply not as popular as folkstyle.   The $ says so.   

Please stop trying to ruin folkstyle with this crazy rule set.  Folkstyle is action packed.   Compare even post counts from the college forum vs this forum.   College dominates the # of posts by a landslide.   Even the non wrestling topic forum bears this by post volume/counts.  

3-4 out of 6

2 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

If we just had a freestyle season at the college level, we would innovate and grow immensely.  And why not?  They spend all year splitting time between styles.  A freestyle season organized at the program level would move things in the right direction. 

Clearly it works for US women.

Also, Greco, just…somebody please help.

I love greco, it was my favorite style to wrestle, but Jesus christ we are now better as a country at olympic weightlifting than we are at Greco…that’s bad.  

People already don’t even want to wrestle all of the matches in the current college season.