Olympic Wrestling ... Day 5

1 minute ago, pawrestler said:

Gotta think that’s the move, but in that recent article posted here he said he was 50/50 for 2028 (which I don’t really believe) 

How old would he be then?  37?  He would just be wasting 4 years

• Bob 1

8 minutes ago, Ferrignohh said:

Zare and Gable would have been storied rivalry.  What fun that could have been us fans.

I do not believe Gable would beat this version of Zare. He's smaller and his offense is not dynamic enough. This pains me as a known hater of greco dancing bears.

i am an idiot on the internet

7 minutes ago, Hurricane Wrestling said:

Ha!  Who was that poster on the old forum who self-pinned himself in the state finals and whose hero was the Iranian Abbas Jadidi?  He was hilarious - wish he'd return.

DF - he was hilarious in his prime! I think he overdid his schtick a little bit and it ran its course

• Bob 1

1 minute ago, bnwtwg said:

I do not believe Gable would beat this version of Zare. He's smaller and his offense is not dynamic enough. This pains me as a known hater of greco dancing bears.

You're assuming Gable wouldn't have kept developing if had kept wrestling. And, I do think he is a superior athlete to Zare. Alas

Edited by Voice of the Quakers

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

Just now, Voice of the Quakers said:

You're assuming Gable wouldn't have kept developing if had kept wrestling. And, I do think he is a superior athlete to Zare.

Good point, but Gable would also have to be bought in on freestyle wrestling during this time.  He appears to not have the fire for it currently.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

I think we never even got to see the best Gable could be. The dude took down Geno three times in like 20 seconds… I’d say his offense is pretty dynamic. Imagine if he was training freestyle full time… I think he would have been dominant 

2 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

DF - he was hilarious in his prime! I think he overdid his schtick a little bit and it ran its course

I knew it started with a D- Del Fino! He was the 2nd best poster ever! (He would never say he was the best)

Just now, Voice of the Quakers said:

You're assuming Gable wouldn't have kept developing if had kept wrestling. And, I do think he is a superior athlete to Zare. Alas

Gable was HEW long before his olympic run so I unfortunately do not believe he would have continued developing at the necessary level. I believe he walked away at his peak. And yes I understand this will be an extremely unpopular opinion.

• Bob 1

In short i agree with you.

I would love to think a Gable loss here would motivate him to go absolutely all in with his training and make some adjustments, but ultimately I dont think he would be able to match Zare's toughness.  

7 hours ago, STLBOY said:

He needs to quit shooting for the sake of shooting. Pick your shots and set them up and learn on the edge wrestling at this level. Makes or breaks a match 

I may have to give cael a break after reading about the Paris Match. This been the problem with this guy for several years in college. 

I believe Bill zadick is not facing enough scrutiny. 

3 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

1 minute ago, gimpeltf said:

I knew it started with a D- Del Fino! He was the 2nd best poster ever! (He would never say he was the best)

Yep...

41lhPnvQyvL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

D3

• Haha 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I think JB makes light of many unfortunate/troubling situations with a little chuckle.

His comment on Lopez' opponent during their final on Tuesday was something like, "this guy made you leave your home...", with a little snicker in there. 

I don't interpret that he's delighting in it, just naming a tough thing and how hard that must be. 

He's a great voice to have there - I appreciate it, at least. 

1 minute ago, alliseeisgold said:

I may have to give cael a break after reading about the Paris Match. This been the problem with this guy for several years in college. 

I believe Bill zadick is not facing enough scrutiny. 

lol for what? RTCs do all the coaching now. The OTC is a ghost town and Zadick has as much "power" as a college coach in the NIL era.

2 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I think we never even got to see the best Gable could be. The dude took down Geno three times in like 20 seconds… I’d say his offense is pretty dynamic. Imagine if he was training freestyle full time… I think he would have been dominant 

Gable was awesome with his down blocking, running the hip, re attack were insane.  His offense was would class eltie. 

Its the most frustrating thing about Gable is we will never know how high ceiling was going to be. What if he committed to his nutrition and training? 

Japan has some kind of "it" factor going on... they (especially their top tier) just seem so calm and wrestle with a lot of precision and very few mistakes...

They legit could end up with multiple golds in Greco/mens/womens... I know they've always been tough but it seems more now they deserve to be in the conversation with Iran/Russia as toughest opponents to draw.

Also, they don't seem to gas anywhere near as much as all of their competition. Sure they're tired but I rarely see them trying to gulp the air like everyone else...

Edited by Doublehalf
  • Bob 2
  • Brain 1