Olympic Wrestling ... Day 4

12 minutes ago, Hurricane Wrestling said:

Where are you guys watching the matches live? 

Any links appreciated - thanks!

NBCSports.com you do not need to pay for Peacock if you have certain providers (there is a list and search function). I used my Hulu+Live credentials, for example.

• Bob 3

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

18 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

NBCSports.com you do not need to pay for Peacock if you have certain providers (there is a list and search function). I used my Hulu+Live credentials, for example.

I love wrestling, but as a community, we do a terrible job of publicizing dates, times, streaming, television, providers, etc. When they do publish a time for an event, platforms frequently forget to indicate which time zone the event will happen. 

On the other hand, The JOMBO™ Comic Universe is always there with the deets. This Sunday at 5:00 am Eastern there will be a JOMBO™ comic specifically honoring Spencer Lee. For these couple of days of the Olympics, I don't hate Iowa. Well, okay, I still hate Iowa, but not as much as usual. 

jombo18.jpg

• Wrestle 1

2 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

love wrestling, but as a community, we do a terrible job of publicizing dates, times, streaming, television,

Couldn’t have said it better myself. 

• Bob 1

N3xt Sports has greatly increased the presence of wrestling globally since partnering with UWW. Domestically it is very lacking and USAW has been rightfully called out many times recently for gatekeeping.

• Bob 1

i am an idiot on the internet

1 hour ago, russelscout said:

Interesting that the Uzbek Lee has wrestled at Menlo College and was an NAIA champ.

Off topic, I’d love to see  D1,D2,D3,and NAIA all blended together someday. I know, that’s idiotic and will can not ever happen but I’m open to anything that makes this sport more exciting

• Bob 1

12 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

I love wrestling, but as a community, we do a terrible job of publicizing dates, times, streaming, television, providers, etc. When they do publish a time for an event, platforms frequently forget to indicate which time zone the event will happen. 

On the other hand, The JOMBO™ Comic Universe is always there with the deets. This Sunday at 5:00 am Eastern there will be a JOMBO™ comic specifically honoring Spencer Lee. For these couple of days of the Olympics, I don't hate Iowa. Well, okay, I still hate Iowa, but not as much as usual. 

jombo18.jpg

Amen. I stumbled across this when I saw an ad for Fubo that mentioned you get access to the Olympics on Peacock included. I almost signed up for Fubo before finding out you get it with many providers. 

• Brain 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

When did NBC start pushing this Race-to-win-the-most-Gold-Medals versus the usual medal count? I know they want drama, and there is no drama when you just go by the overall medal count. But, my friends, it seems like that downplays Silver and Bronze medals, and a Bronze medal in the Olympics is ******* awesome. 

As for publicizing times, streams and such, when I'm doing an ILLINI preview for a dual (not on BTN) or the IRTC wrestling in a ranking series overseas, or college tournaments, I always include the stream/tv, the dates and times and the time zone. Additionally, I always include a paragraph about less familiar providers like UFC Fight Pass and Peacock, adding in whether they allow a monthly sub, an event-only sub, the price, and a link to sign up. 

If we harp on it, they might change. 

I think we got FloWrestling to use better cameras at Fargo because of criticisms. They even went out of their way to move cameras to follow the action when it went from side to side. Way to go Intermat forums! The better resolution and camera coverage was appreciated! 

• Wrestle 1

5 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

When did NBC start pushing this Race-to-win-the-most-Gold-Medals versus the usual medal count? I know they want drama, and there is no drama when you just go by the overall medal count. But, my friends, it seems like that downplays Silver and Bronze medals, and a Bronze medal in the Olympics is ******* awesome. 

As for publicizing times, streams and such, when I'm doing an ILLINI preview for a dual (not on BTN) or the IRTC wrestling in a ranking series overseas, or college tournaments, I always include the stream/tv, the dates and times and the time zone. Additionally, I always include a paragraph about less familiar providers like UFC Fight Pass and Peacock, adding in whether they allow a monthly sub, an event-only sub, the price, and a link to sign up. 

If we harp on it, they might change. 

I think we got FloWrestling to use better cameras at Fargo because of criticisms. They even went out of their way to move cameras to follow the action when it went from side to side. Way to go Intermat forums! The better resolution and camera coverage was appreciated! 

ILLINI- if we were close I’d buy you lunch. Seriously, I’m a nobody in the sport but it’s clear there are individuals participating here with influence and contacts and I’ve often wondered if they’re doing enough to try and improve and grow the sport beyond the forum. I mean there’s a lot of super knowledgeable dudes here and most of the time I just observe because - well I’m not as knowledgeable as them. Your involvement is commendable and everything you wrote inspired the crap out of me. Glad you’re out there doing what you’re doing for wrestling!

• Bob 1

6 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Two questions:

Re Spencer Lee and the head-up-the-butt lace: Has anyone seen a successful turn with this technique?

Yes. Spencer multiple times including today. . Tom Brands in Olympic final. And Retherford was teched with it by Japan in his first world final. 

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken
  • Bob 5
  • Brain 1

23 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Yes. Spencer multiple times including today. . Tom Brands in Olympic final. And Retherford was teched with it by Japan in his first world final. 

Head came out the butt prior to Retherford getting his ankles laced to the afterlife

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

2 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Got the first turn with it and enabled him to tighten it up for the next three. 

Yeah, exactly what i said.  He didn't get teched with that move.  He got teched with his ankles laced up.  But the set up by Taishi was money

I Don't Agree With What I Posted