WFS 50kg: Vinesh Phogat (India) missed weight

I’ve read conflicting reports about India’s  team selection process.

I believe she originally tried to make the team at 53, and lost?  If so, then it doesn’t seem like it really has to do with there only being 6 weights.

10 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I’ve read conflicting reports about India’s  team selection process.

I believe she originally tried to make the team at 53, and lost?  If so, then it doesn’t seem like it really has to do with there only being 6 weights.

If they had 55, like they do at Worlds, she could go there. Or 57kg.

But, yeah, unless they split the difference between 50 and 53 with a brand new weight class, I'm not sure how adding the non-Olympic weights back in actually helps her.

• Bob 1

3 minutes ago, Old Dirty said:

Giving her the silver is completely dumb.  You cant have forfeits in medal matches at the Olympics

But they would have if she announced she was injured?

46 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

But they would have if she announced she was injured?

Yes, but only if she made weight.  So there still can be a scenario where a gold medal match is forfeited (or defaulted?)

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

1 hour ago, Old Dirty said:

Giving her the silver is completely dumb.  You cant have forfeits in medal matches at the Olympics

Can't forfeit when you've been disqualified from participating. Apparently, she over ate and over-hydrated on the first day. The team doctor said she could consume 1.5kg of food & fluids after weigh-ins on Tuesday, plus "maintenance" levels of water after her matches but after semis she was a bit more over the weight than expected. It's just crazy to miss weight by 100g (3.5oz), about the same weight as a deck of cards. Her coaches cut her hair and her clothes and she still couldn't get to 50kg. 

I wish Vinesh could have gone home with the silver, but the rules are what they are. The Olympics has not been kind to her. Knee injury in Rio 2016 and upset in Tokyo 2021, then she finally gets the chance to take home a medal and it slips out of reach. Plus, the stuff with Singh. That's rough. She announced her retirement from the sport, saying "wrestling has defeated me, I lost. Forgive me, your dream, my courage is all broken, I don’t have any more strength now."

1 hour ago, jchapman said:

Yes, but only if she made weight.  So there still can be a scenario where a gold medal match is forfeited (or defaulted?)

Even if hypothetically she announced she had an injury immediately after the semis?

8 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Even if hypothetically she announced she had an injury immediately after the semis?

Yes. 
We do the same here. I watched  college wrestler tear an ACL and then get on a bike to cut weight knowing he wasn’t going to wrestle the next day. D3 regional tourney and his team needed his points. 

• Bob 1

48 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Here is the pertinent section of he rule:

i) If an athlete is injured and can’t continue the bout, he will lose the match by injury. The concerned athlete won’t have to attend the second weigh-in and he will be ranked based on the points that he earned until his injury. If the injured athlete is ready to compete for his next match, he has to receive the approval of the UWW Doctor.

For all the other type of injuries or diseases that happen after the first day of competition and out of competition, the concerned athlete will have to attend the second weigh-in otherwise he will be eliminated of the competition and ranked last, without rank.

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

42 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Here is the pertinent section of he rule:

i) If an athlete is injured and can’t continue the bout, he will lose the match by injury. The concerned athlete won’t have to attend the second weigh-in and he will be ranked based on the points that he earned until his injury. If the injured athlete is ready to compete for his next match, he has to receive the approval of the UWW Doctor.

For all the other type of injuries or diseases that happen after the first day of competition and out of competition, the concerned athlete will have to attend the second weigh-in otherwise he will be eliminated of the competition and ranked last, without rank.

Thanks. It’s very easy to understand that people would try to game the system. 

11 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

I spend about eight weeks per year in India but sure go off king

I’ve spent maybe 16 weeks over several trips, last time visiting in 2020.  Stand by my comment.

On 8/7/2024 at 6:20 AM, peanut said:

Vinesh Phogat missed weight and will now be disqualified. No medal for her even though she reached the finals. Seems harsh.

Every competitor has the same set of rules. She did not make weight, she is out.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

If anyone was going to miss weight at 50kg, I would've bet money on the Mongolian.  As much as I wanted to see Sarah wrestle Yui or Vinesh during the tourney, that semis win was very impressive!