Should Amit Elor wrestle in college?

3 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I figured with her BJJ background and ties to Sara McMann she'd go the Cejudo route after Paris. Probably more upside in terms of revenue opportunities and having a next big challenge to tackle. Hope I'm wrong, though. I wanna see Elor around for a few more cycles, at least.

Going to MMA would be unwise.  Along with getting punched in the face, it's not as if women's MMA is hugely profitable in the days since Ronda Rousey. She would likely be the marquee wrestler competing in 2028 and to profit greatly from that (like JB did in 2016). 

Edited by billyhoyle

1 hour ago, billyhoyle said:

Going to MMA would be unwise.  Along with getting punched in the face, it's not as if women's MMA is hugely profitable in the days since Ronda Rousey. She would likely be the marquee wrestler competing in 2028 and to profit greatly from that (like JB did in 2016). 

Don't you put that Rio voodoo on Elor!

• Bob 1

i am an idiot on the internet

19 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

No argument here, I'd much rather see her rack up wrestling hardware. Rhonda Rousey has said that MMA can be a good stepping stone, not career destination, for women to get into the entertainment industry but I can't really think of many former MMA women who are now actresses or broadcasters. (I also don't follow MMA closely so idk)

On 8/7/2024 at 9:39 AM, Wrestleknownothing said:

I am not sure if Iowa would the ones. They are already the prohibitive favorite to win the title every year. Perhaps an underdog with a rich, interested alum would step up. But I know so little about women's college wrestling that I have no idea who that would or could be.

Sounds like a good opportunity for Penn State to start a women’s team 🙂

On 8/7/2024 at 1:48 PM, CHROMEBIRD said:

They mentioned on the OTA broadcast that she's currently enrolled at Diablo Valley JC and wants to stay in the Bay Area. Would love to see Elor transfer to Stanford and get things going there. Maybe pull Adeline back over. It won't happen with all the conference realignment and other BS the athletic dept is dealing with, but one can dream.

Interesting.  I know Ayres is a big proponent of women’s wrestling, so seems like not an impossibility.

On 8/7/2024 at 4:53 PM, juniorvarsity said:

Who was Amit Elor coaches by in 2022. She dogged on that training situation in a recent Flo article. Wasn't it that guy who used to coach Pico?

Yes, Valentin. He used to also coach Helen and has coached Frank Chamizo recently at NYAC. I was glad to see Elor dumped him, he appears to be in it for the wrong reasons.

22 hours ago, GreenandGold said:

Yes, Valentin. He used to also coach Helen and has coached Frank Chamizo recently at NYAC. I was glad to see Elor dumped him, he appears to be in it for the wrong reasons.

She publicly dumped on him. He appears to be associated with some very good wrestlers. Sometimes it is personalities colliding, but to diminish a world champs skill and attribute it to strength to the point that the wrestler loses confidence is not good coaching/mentoring. If it works, it works.

There are skills, physical attributes, and tactics. They can all be pieces together in infinite ways. 

• Brain 1

55 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

On a side note, Elors boyfriend Mica Galvao just won the ADCC world championship at 77kg.  

That is very much a side note, well done sir!  🙂

4 hours ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Her on the right program could transcend wrestling and grow her image and future earnings much more than “just” 3 world titles and an Olympic title in that same time. She could also do college and international. 

Iowa women’s wrestling with Amit would be a crazy draw. 

no women's wrestler is a crazy draw. sorry to break it to you. 

On 8/7/2024 at 3:59 PM, billyhoyle said:

MMA is the pinnacle of combat sports and I would wager good money she makes her way over there in the near future. Women's MMA is actually quite profitable. Here's an article about Kayla Harrison, a Judo Olympic gold medalist and her career earnings for fighting. She was pulling in 1M per year with PFL. 

https://www.essentiallysports.com/ufc-mma-news-kayla-harrison-s-career-earnings-how-much-did-the-ufc-star-earn-at-pfl/

• Bob 1

4 hours ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Her on the right program could transcend wrestling and grow her image and future earnings much more than “just” 3 world titles and an Olympic title in that same time. She could also do college and international. 

Iowa women’s wrestling with Amit would be a crazy draw. 

I assume by “right program” you mean one that doesn’t exist yet?  Iowa is the only one people currently care about and considering they already have Blades coming I’m not sure adding Elor would really “transcend wrestling.”

1 hour ago, WrestlingRash said:

MMA is the pinnacle of combat sports and I would wager good money she makes her way over there in the near future. Women's MMA is actually quite profitable. Here's an article about Kayla Harrison, a Judo Olympic gold medalist and her career earnings for fighting. She was pulling in 1M per year with PFL. 

https://www.essentiallysports.com/ufc-mma-news-kayla-harrison-s-career-earnings-how-much-did-the-ufc-star-earn-at-pfl/

MMA is not the pinnacle of combat sports, at least not the MMA that exists today in UFC and is modeled more after WWE than actual sport. 

• Confused 2

On 8/19/2024 at 8:00 PM, billyhoyle said:

MMA is not the pinnacle of combat sports, at least not the MMA that exists today in UFC and is modeled more after WWE than actual sport. 

Okay, then what is? They have the most eyeballs on their events. They have replaced boxing in the culture and that is a good thing. Wrestlers dominate. Its accurate as to who the best fighter really is. 

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

10 hours ago, WrestlingRash said:

Okay, then what is? They have the most eyeballs on their events. They have replaced boxing in the culture and that is a good thing. Wrestlers dominate. Its accurate as to who the best fighter really is. 

The idea that MMA is accurate as to "who the best fighter really is" is nonsense. There are tons of arbitrary rules in MMA, just like there are in boxing, kickboxing, and slapfighting. Not to mention that the way UFC is set up in pay and how they advance contenders incentivizes their "fighters" to put on a show ahead of anything else. Fight with a boring, yet effective style? Good luck advancing in the sport.  Fight like an entertaining idiot and you will get an easy path to a title shot. Obviously, I'm not criticizing that approach from a business standpoint, but the fact that UFC was purchased by WWE is not a coincidence. You are watching a show, not a combat sport that is any more legitimate than any of the others.

As to what the pinnacle of combat sports is...The answer is obviously boxing in the 70s. But even MMA 15-20 years ago was 10X the product that UFC is today. 

Edited by billyhoyle

5 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

The idea that MMA is accurate as to "who the best fighter really is" is nonsense. There are tons of arbitrary rules in MMA, just like there are in boxing, kickboxing, and slapfighting. Not to mention that the way UFC is set up in pay and how they advance contenders incentivizes their "fighters" to put on a show ahead of anything else. Fight with a boring, yet effective style? Good luck advancing in the sport.  Fight like an entertaining idiot and you will get an easy path to a title shot. Obviously, I'm not criticizing that approach from a business standpoint, but the fact that UFC was purchased by WWE is not a coincidence. You are watching a show, not a combat sport that is any more legitimate than any of the others.

As to what the pinnacle of combat sports is...The answer is obviously boxing in the 70s. But even MMA 15-20 years ago was 10X the product that UFC is today. 

Terrible take

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1