Proposed Sport Roster Limits- starting 2025-26 Season

FD1W

1 minute ago, Camel Wrestling Fan said:

Pro teams have taxi squads to practice on and occasionally pull up a player due to injury or what not. Colleges uses that 50-85 as a taxi squad really. Why do they now need 105? Idk. Back in the big time schools would have 125. Oklahoma would bring 8 out of the top 10 RBs in the country, let them fight for the position AND keep the other guys off of their rivals team!

Its what Iowa & OSU were doing in wrestling.  Thus why NCAA put scholarship and roster limits in place.  But now since NCAA would bother enforcing their own rules they are going backward on everything.  May ruin all sports, certainly a lot of sports programs.  😞

16 hours ago, Idaho said:

Good question....I hadn't thought about that. I wonder how they will respond to this. Maybe some of our Ivy team supporters can chime in. 

I have no inside knowledge, but Cornell currently shows 43 members on their 2024-25 roster (12 freshmen, 11 sophs, 9 juniors, 11 seniors).  A quick scan shows Lehigh (yes, I know it is not an Ivy) with 42.  Penn with 29.

A number of the freshmen are not names I recognize as having been highly recruited.

3 hours ago, TNwrestling said:

So football's rosters will now cap at 105 but wrestling rosters cap at 30? In what realm does an nfl team cap their roster at 53 but college needs double that?

11 offense, 11 defense, 11 special teams (it’s actually more than 11 because you have punt, kick, punt return, kick blocking, kick return, but let’s just say 11). So 33 starters in football *3 = 99.

10 starters in wrestling * 3= 30.

Then factor in that there are significantly more substitutions and injuries in football, and that football is a revenue sport, it makes sense that they would have a that number be the cap. 

With that said, it does screw over non revenue sports. 

Edited by billyhoyle

One thing I think everyone is overlooking in this:

Just because the roster cap is 30, does not mean that the school will allow that to be the cap. Schools can set roster caps lower than 30 if they want.

Same for scholarships. Very few will be able to fund 30 full scholarships, bu t schools can also dictate how many scholarships they allow. Maybe they keep it at 9.9 or 10, but they could also lower it to 7 to accomodate the new 20 extra needed for football

On 7/28/2024 at 3:04 PM, Dark Energy said:

Thanks for this.  It is making me think of the ivies.  Wonder how they are thinking about this.

The settlement, if approved, is only binding on Power 5 schools. So the Ivies, EIWA, Socon, MAC could opt out of it and keep their roster sizes above 30 and scholarships at 9.9. But then they could not pay players. If they want to pay, then they have to abide by all the elements of the settlement. 

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

5 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The settlement, if approved, is only binding on Power 5 schools. So the Ivies, EIWA, Socon, MAC could opt out of it and keep their roster sizes above 30 and scholarships at 9.9. But then they could not pay players. If they want to pay, then they have to abide by all the elements of the settlement. 

Ahhh, interesting … and a seemingly tough choice.  To be clear, they could avoid paying players and still compete at NCAA championships?

Obviously at a distinct disadvantage recruiting wise.  I wonder if schools that do this would effectively drop from D1.  Perhaps have own championship.  Eh, probably not.  Wow - really curious how this will unfurl.  

In my opinion several colleges will opt out. Will there be enough teams to have a championship? What conferences can afford to opt in? Big Ten, Big 12, ACC. I think you need 33 teams for a national Championship.

There couldl be enough teams that opt out and have their own D1 AA Championships.  I also think some colleges will drop sports including football. Since covid kids have found they can get their degrees online saving money. Enrollment is down and some schools have even closed dorms.

8 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Good point - Flo did an article outlining this along with roster sizes...

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/12753476-unlimited-scholarships-roster-caps-more-in-ncaa-vs-house-settlement

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Power 5 Teams over 30 last year...

School 2023-24 Roster Conference
Oregon State  43 Pac 12
Iowa State  41 Big 12
Iowa 40 Big 10
Michigan State  39 Big 10
Missouri 38 SEC/Big 12
Oklahoma State  38 Big 12
Arizona State  37 Big 12
Michigan 37 Big 10
Penn State 37 Big 10
West Virginia  37 Big 12
Nebraska 35 Big 10
Oklahoma 35 SEC/Big 12
Ohio State  34 Big 10
Virginia Tech 34 ACC
Virginia 33 ACC
Indiana  32 Big 10
Maryland 32 Big 10
North Carolina 32 ACC
Pittsburgh 32 ACC
NC State 31 ACC
Purdue  31 Big 10

So all in all, based on last years rosters, this will affect 118 wrestlers total. There are only  7 teams at 30 or below. I can tell you that, some of those kids have already found homes that have not been reported. 

Edited by Idaho

List of non-power 5 schools - they can opt in to the revenue sharing but then have to offer the 30 scholarships and cap their roster size to 30

Army 53 EIWA
Navy 49 EIWA
Sacred Heart  49 EIWA
Lehigh  45 EIWA
Kent State  44 MAC
Bellarmine  43 SOCON
Clarion 40 MAC
Cornell  38 Ivy League
Penn 38 Ivy League
Air Force 37 Big 12
Northern Illinois  37 MAC
Rider  37 MAC
VMI 37 SOCON
Columbia  36 Ivy League
Northern Colorado 36 Big 12
Ohio  36 MAC
South Dakota State  36 Big 12
Appalachian State  35 SOCON
Cleveland State  35 MAC
Drexel  35 EIWA
California Baptist 34 Big 12
Lock Haven  34 MAC
North Dakota State  34 Big 12
Harvard  33 Ivy League
Little Rock 33 Pac 12
Long Island  33 EIWA
Wyoming 33 Big 12
Binghamton  32 EIWA
Bucknell  32 EIWA
Buffalo 32 MAC
Franklin & Marshall 32 EIWA
Gardner-Webb  32 SOCON
George Mason  32 MAC
Cal Poly 31 Pac 12
Edinboro 31 MAC
Northern Iowa 31 Big 12
Chattanooga 30 SOCON
CSU Bakersfield 30 Pac 12
SIUE 30 MAC
Campbell  29 SOCON
Central Michigan  29 MAC
Princeton  29 Ivy League
The Citadel 29 SOCON
Davidson 28 SOCON
Hofstra  28 EIWA
Mercyhurst 28  
Morgan State  28  
American 27 EIWA
Utah Valley 26 Big 12
Bloomsburg 23 MAC
Brown  23 Ivy League
Presbyterian 21 SOCON
  • Bob 1
  • Brain 1

Academy students are already on full scholarships and (to my knowledge) are not allowed to be paid or receive NIL. They do however get a monthly salary, set by Congress, that increases after each year. I don't see how they would be able to "opt in" to profit sharing. 

• Bob 1

Since I haven't seen the actual regulation written and all the nuances and the issues with opt-in vs. opt-out, which could change my opinion, but this is where I'm currently at with the limited info.   

If Borelli is correct and only those that opt into the revenue sharing can participate in NCAA championships, you'll see another dramatic shift in college athletics. I think most schools will opt-in, power 5 or not, because of football and basketball. That's what drives the money for the departments and if they aren't in the NCAA championship then they aren't making money. Just because they opt-in, doesn't mean they have to pay wresters, and I doubt most will. I think you'll see most schools pay football/basketball and the women to balance out Title 9. 

Schools that don't opt-in will create their own championship and pursue their own media deals and probably break away from the NCAA because the NCAA would be useless to them. Or they will just cut to the minimum number of sports and opt-in. 

Other notes I saw asked:
NCAA schools need the larger limits on football rosters because they can't sign anyone whenever they need. They are stuck with the roster they start with, unlike the NFL. In reality, the NFL roster is unlimited because you can replace any one at any time. Colleges also tend to have more injuries (my observations) and other issues that can force kids out. In the NFL you tend to show up no matter what every time because you're getting paid. 

For people over the 30 roster limit, that is just NCAA roster. There is nothing that says they can't have a club team or RTC that has the same coaches as the NCAA team. I would imagine this could be a path some schools would take. The guys that aren't on the roster though wouldn't be able to get the same benefits as those on the roster (Travel, food, scholarship, practice time, etc.) and they wouldn't be able to compete that year no matter what. This could be a spot where redshirts are used. Don't roster them but still have around. 

Exemptions will be made for the Academies and maybe the Ivies due to their well-established rules already.

Since the opt-in is specific to P5, we don't have a clue what it means for everyone else yet and I'm they they don't either.

Bottom-line: The NCAA has so much to figure out in this next year or so and it could change real quick. Better just hang on and see how it shakes out. None of us really know. 

4 minutes ago, cowcards said:

There is nothing that says they can't have a club team or RTC that has the same coaches as the NCAA team

I am 99;9% sure that coaches do not want to set up a completely different club team for practices that are your 31-40 guys on the depth chart. The RTC is probably where guys will "hide" for a year since coaches are already managing that program. I agree that there will be a lot to work out with this settlement. At what length in terms of  expense, time and energy are D1 coaches going to go for there #31- #40 guys?  Teams were already getting their rosters down this spring and summer because of that very reason. 

3 hours ago, Idaho said:

List of non-power 5 schools - they can opt in to the revenue sharing but then have to offer the 30 scholarships and cap their roster size to 30

Army 53 EIWA
Navy 49 EIWA
Sacred Heart  49 EIWA
Lehigh  45 EIWA
Kent State  44 MAC
Bellarmine  43 SOCON
Clarion 40 MAC
Cornell  38 Ivy League
Penn 38 Ivy League
Air Force 37 Big 12
Northern Illinois  37 MAC
Rider  37 MAC
VMI 37 SOCON
Columbia  36 Ivy League
Northern Colorado 36 Big 12
Ohio  36 MAC
South Dakota State  36 Big 12
Appalachian State  35 SOCON
Cleveland State  35 MAC
Drexel  35 EIWA
California Baptist 34 Big 12
Lock Haven  34 MAC
North Dakota State  34 Big 12
Harvard  33 Ivy League
Little Rock 33 Pac 12
Long Island  33 EIWA
Wyoming 33 Big 12
Binghamton  32 EIWA
Bucknell  32 EIWA
Buffalo 32 MAC
Franklin & Marshall 32 EIWA
Gardner-Webb  32 SOCON
George Mason  32 MAC
Cal Poly 31 Pac 12
Edinboro 31 MAC
Northern Iowa 31 Big 12
Chattanooga 30 SOCON
CSU Bakersfield 30 Pac 12
SIUE 30 MAC
Campbell  29 SOCON
Central Michigan  29 MAC
Princeton  29 Ivy League
The Citadel 29 SOCON
Davidson 28 SOCON
Hofstra  28 EIWA
Mercyhurst 28  
Morgan State  28  
American 27 EIWA
Utah Valley 26 Big 12
Bloomsburg 23 MAC
Brown  23 Ivy League
Presbyterian 21 SOCON

I can't help but think as I look at this list about the awkwardness of some of these situations where its going to be literally one person that doesn't get to make the roster and the other 30 do (like in Northern Iowa's case)

1 minute ago, flyingcement said:

I can't help but think as I look at this list about the awkwardness of some of these situations where its going to be literally one person that doesn't get to make the roster and the other 30 do (like in Northern Iowa's case)

This is based on last years roster,  but yeah, if you are the last guy.  I think we are going to see a lot of names pop up on rosters of new/newer programs. 

• Bob 1

Most schools shouldn't have to cut current team members because some will graduate and/or quit or transfer in 24-25, before this goes into effect in 25-26.  They will just have to more closely watch how many they bring in next recruiting class.

1 hour ago, MNRodent said:

Most schools shouldn't have to cut current team members because some will graduate and/or quit or transfer in 24-25, before this goes into effect in 25-26.  They will just have to more closely watch how many they bring in next recruiting class.

Only if you don't want to replace the higher level kids that graduate.

3 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Only if you don't want to replace the higher level kids that graduate.

Yep... you can be certain there will be tough conversations with kids that will not be back on the team in place of higher level kids. In fact...some have and are taking place. 

• Bob 1

22 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Yep... you can be certain there will be tough conversations with kids that will not be back on the team in place of higher level kids. In fact...some have and are taking place. 

I just noticed North Dakota State did a clean wipe of their roster of anyone who had previously entered the transfer portal.  They are left with only a handful of guys that were on the team last year, combined with a large group of red shirt freshman, and bunch of incoming transfers

Weight Name Class Status Count
125 #163 Witt, Ezekiel St FR True Freshman 1
125 #163 Tanimoto, Kody FR Redshirt 2
125 #163 O'Brien, Sean FR Redshirt 3
133 #42 Burwick, Kyle St SR Incoming Transfer 4
133 #188 Olson, Michael FR Redshirt 5
141 #70 Drexler, Gavin St SO Returning Wrestler 6
141 #173 Moore, Peyton SO Incoming Transfer 7
149 #39 Petersen, Maxwell St SO Returning Wrestler 8
149 #25 March, Kellyn SR Returning Wrestler 9
149 #168 Radenz, Clay JR Returning Wrestler 10
157 #58 Greenley, Boeden St RSFR Returning Wrestler 11
157 #127 Schumm, Gabriel JR Returning Wrestler 12
165 #60 Howes, Brendan St SO Returning Wrestler 13
165 #192 Hutchings, Dante FR Redshirt 14
165 #269 Barker, Luke RSFR Returning Wrestler 15
174 #90 Wasley, Devin St SO Incoming Transfer 16
174 #193 Magayna, Max FR Redshirt 17
174 #193 Secoy, Tyler FR Redshirt 18
184 #84 Cherne, Adam St SO Returning Wrestler 19
184 #83 Brenot, Aidan RSFR Returning Wrestler 20
184 #159 McMonagle, Andrew FR Redshirt 21
184 #159 Glover, Tayshaun FR Redshirt 22
184 #159 Schneck, Barrett FR Redshirt 23
197 #123 Baker, Michael St SR Incoming Transfer 24
197 #154 Whitright, Bradley JR Incoming Transfer 25
197 #154 Hight, Aiden FR Redshirt 26
285 #81 Blackburn-Forst, Andrew St SO Incoming Transfer 27
285 #168 Huff, Schey FR Redshirt 28
285 #168 Jones, Shilo FR Redshirt 29
Edited by flyingcement

A lot of $$$ going to athletes. For the experts, seems that money is coming partly from boosters thru NIL, partly from revenue generated i.e. TV contracts and stadium revenue, but perhaps also partly from higher tuitions? Is the general student population at least partly financing these payments?