Hodge Watch as of 12/21/22

Jimmy Cinnabon

25 minutes ago, Fadzaev2 said:

RBY could be the man!!!!  Unfortunately, with his limited mat time, I don't see Spencer getting it.  RBY is amazing, and so much fun to watch.....he let's it fly!!!

4xer trumps all though.  I don't see Lee not getting it if he wins his 4th.  I don't care how many matches he wrestles before NCAAs.

29 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

4xer trumps all though.  I don't see Lee not getting it if he wins his 4th.  I don't care how many matches he wrestles before NCAAs.

Where do you see that on the criteria, was Hodge a 4x?  😉 Thought Hodge was an individual season award, what's Lee's record? 

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, ionel said:

Where do you see that on the criteria, was Hodge a 4x?  😉 Thought Hodge was an individual season award, what's Lee's record? 

He is not wrong to point out that there are criteria, and then there are criteria. We are all still waiting for them to release the votes for 2021.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

WE'LL SEE!!!.....Originally created to celebrate the pin in college wrestling, the Dan Hodge Trophy is based on seven criteria including record, number of pins, dominance, past credentials, quality of competition, sportsmanship/citizenship and heart.Apr 2, 2022

The additional Hodge Trophy Votes from the Hodge Trophy Voting Committee made up of national wrestling media, a retired college coach from each region, a representative of each national wrestling organization, and the Official Fan Vote on WIN's website, which accounts for (5) Official First-Place Ballots.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

If Spencer Lee only wrestles 5 matches the rest of the season and wins them all, including at NCAAs, he's winning the Hodge.

I don't care if Keegan O'Toole pins his way through the bracket.

I'd love to bet on that but ... 

• Fire 1

28 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

If Spencer Lee only wrestles 5 matches the rest of the season and wins them all, including at NCAAs, he's winning the Hodge.

I don't care if Keegan O'Toole pins his way through the bracket.

What's the saying????  "What have you been smokin' "?

A few years ago, some jabroni actually voted for AOC for the Hodge. The committee will obviously vote whichever way their hearts point them towards, official criteria be damned.

It'd be super sweet if Lee won the Hodge. But, c'mon, how do you give a season award to someone who likely will wrestle less than half the matches of the other contenders. It literally makes no sense! But that's the Hodge these days. 

Zain Retherford had one of the most dominant seasons in modern wrestling history but the committee awarded the Hodge to Dieringer because he was older. What a joke 

3 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Zain Retherford had one of the most dominant seasons in modern wrestling history but the committee awarded the Hodge to Dieringer because he was older. What a joke 

Jason Nolf would like a word

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

7 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Wasn't that a different year? 

If not, the greater point is that the committee eschewed criteria and turned the Hodge into a seniority/career accomplishment award. 

But even if you are using it as a career award, he still got hosed. How many dominant, and I do mean DOMINANT, 4x finalist/3x champs didn't get a Hodge? The dude was so bored he brought the Winn-Dixie back in vogue. Not saying Nickal didn't deserve it but if they are giving out co-Hodges like candy nowadays...

i am an idiot on the internet

13 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

But even if you are using it as a career award, he still got hosed. How many dominant, and I do mean DOMINANT, 4x finalist/3x champs didn't get a Hodge? The dude was so bored he brought the Winn-Dixie back in vogue. Not saying Nickal didn't deserve it but if they are giving out co-Hodges like candy nowadays...

I wish they had never done the co-hodge but the year you are referring to was probably a stronger candidate for the dual award than when Spencer and Gable won it. 

• Fire 1

54 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

36 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

I wish they had never done the co-hodge but the year you are referring to was probably a stronger candidate for the dual award than when Spencer and Gable won it. 

There's actually been another Co-Hodge Award Winner year.......2001  Cael Sanderson ISU and Nick Ackerman Simpson College (Div. 2)

• Fire 2

14 hours ago, Fadzaev2 said:

There's actually been another Co-Hodge Award Winner year.......2001  Cael Sanderson ISU and Nick Ackerman Simpson College (Div. 2)

10 hours ago, Alces Alces Gigas said:

If you are going to espouse get your facts correct! 

image.thumb.png.dbcb0a3e7d6e3f01b92f570085be4ef7.png

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Ignore him. He is just being a tool. Ackerman was D3 rather than D2, which is so inconsequential.

SMH......I wasn't really worried about what division he was in, just that fact that there were two that year.  My bad.....I should have looked closer....I almost went back to double check, but didn't think it was that important....so I got an A- on my homework.....lol.  Thanks for your support WKN!.....you get "extra credit".....Fadz

On 12/21/2022 at 5:58 PM, Mr. PeanutButter said:

My thoughts exactly… I generally never support splitting a major award like the hodge. However, if they were ever going to do it, it should’ve been Nickal and Nolf’s senior year. Teammates with almost identical stats… that’s the one year I think it should’ve been split.