Iowa logjam at Heavyweight?

Keuter says he's focused on wrestling and just won U23 -- he presumably will be the starter.

At the same time, Cassioppi is rumored to be reinstated and will return to Iowa for his final season.

Then we have Hill who performed admirably last season.

And then lastly we have the wildcard AJ Ferrarri who could throw his hat in at heavyweight...

Most likely we will see Keuter and Cass battle it out for the starting spot.

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Cassioppi to 197?

he has somehow managed to become a tweener which is hilarious to say. I dont think he is athletic enough for 197 or to be competitive at the top of heavy now. ultimately the size advantage at 197 is probably his best bet. A carter vs Cass match makes me laugh to think about.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Truzzcat said:

he has somehow managed to become a tweener which is hilarious to say. I dont think he is athletic enough for 197 or to be competitive at the top of heavy now. ultimately the size advantage at 197 is probably his best bet. A carter vs Cass match makes me laugh to think about.

Me as well, but that would be awesome to see.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

33 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Keuter says he's focused on wrestling and just won U23 -- he presumably will be the starter.

At the same time, Cassioppi is rumored to be reinstated and will return to Iowa for his final season.

And then lastly we have the wildcard AJ Ferrarri who could throw his hat in at heavyweight...

Dont forget that Pindrick & Kerk might decide to portal in.  

44 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Lucas Stoddard won U23 125 KG. 

• Bob 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Is the rumor or Cass being reinstated just coming from you?

2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Could he beat Glazier though?

Recent results (Carroll at 92 KG this last weekend against comparable competition) suggest that it would be competitive.  There are reasons to think it would not be competitive, though, based on results.

Carroll over Cassioppi 6-6 on criteria.

Carroll over Shumate 16-6 in 4M21S.

Shumate over Glazer 11-0 in 1M55S.

• Bob 1

Cassiopi and Brands both have created problems for Iowa next year; albeit good problems.  I just wonder if it's worth it for them to roll out Tony from a standpoint of future lineups.  Sure, he'll AA, but can't help but think that Keuter will feel slighted if he gave up a year of football just for this to happen.

• Bob 1

8 minutes ago, BloodRound said:

Cassiopi and Brands both have created problems for Iowa next year; albeit good problems.  I just wonder if it's worth it for them to roll out Tony from a standpoint of future lineups.  Sure, he'll AA, but can't help but think that Keuter will feel slighted if he gave up a year of football just for this to happen.

the best man should win the spot?

• Bob 2

1 hour ago, BloodRound said:

I suspect the renewed wrestling focus is because his football career may not be progressing as he hoped. I'm not sure he's giving up anything on that front.

47 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I suspect the renewed wrestling focus is because his football career may not be progressing as he hoped. I'm not sure he's giving up anything on that front.

he had mentioned that they are returning 3 linebackers in an interview, so he hoped to work his way on the special team's unit. Ultimately, I think he's very talented at both things, but he may be looking at it as he can't start this year so let me throw all my eggs into the thing, I may be better at compared to my peers and see where that goes. As evidence by Gable signing with the bills football will be there when he's done.

3 minutes ago, BloodRound said:

So who performs better against Kerklivet?

the most interesting pieces to me are Feldman who narrowed the gap each time and seemed to make huge jumps as the season went on. Also given he did not do u23's I assume hes all in on the folkstyle season. Keuter who lost 9-1 but had been in the room for what 2 months, and now for the first time in probably 8 years is focused exclusively on wrestling. Lastly Wyatt who is finally in a legitimate room. If I was a betting man and I am I would potentially bet on the field against Kirk this year however he still should be a decent stand-alone favorite.

• Bob 1

18 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

the most interesting pieces to me are Feldman who narrowed the gap each time and seemed to make huge jumps as the season went on. Also given he did not do u23's I assume hes all in on the folkstyle season. Keuter who lost 9-1 but had been in the room for what 2 months, and now for the first time in probably 8 years is focused exclusively on wrestling. Lastly Wyatt who is finally in a legitimate room. If I was a betting man and I am I would potentially bet on the field against Kirk this year however he still should be a decent stand-alone favorite.

Kerk is the heavy favorite, but it is definitely not a settled matter.

Most expected a better performance out of Kerk at OTT.  _Plenty expected him to be our rep.  He wasn't close.

It was also a surprise to see him forgo U23. 

Another thing to keep in mind with Kerk is his injury history and him currently wrestling without an ACL or two.

3 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Kerk is the heavy favorite, but it is definitely not a settled matter.

Most expected a better performance out of Kerk at OTT.  _Plenty expected him to be our rep.  He wasn't close.

It was also a surprise to see him forgo U23. 

Another thing to keep in mind with Kerk is his injury history and him currently wrestling without an ACL or two.

Kerk was exposed against Gwiazdowski in that Gwiazdowski showed that Kerk cannot chain wrestle.  I don't know if anyone can expose that in the Collegiate Folkstyle scene.

• Pirate 1

6 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Kerk was exposed against Gwiazdowski in that Gwiazdowski showed that Kerk cannot chain wrestle.  I don't know if anyone can expose that in the Collegiate Folkstyle scene.

Good analysis.  I'm sure his opponents will working on developing that ability, as much as it is capable of being developed in less than a year.

• Bob 1

9 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I think Feldman has that capability if he can get past his hips. However, I do not know if he can overcome the size discrepancy to do so.

If Cassioppi is heavyweight and Patrick Kennedy is 174 next season, what is Iowa doing? Fanbase should be pissed. You can't let these 6th and 7th year kids take it from the future of the program. I do not like it. Good problems to have, my ass. Two big time recruits missing out on a year of eligibility. Maybe Kueter can use last year as an Olympic RS?

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, juniorvarsity said:

Good problems to have, my ass. Two big time recruits missing out on a year of eligibility. 

There should be no limits on eligibility years.  If a kid wants to stay in college till he/she is 55 who is the NCAA to say otherwise.  Somebody needs to sue.  🙄