So, how does OSU change on the mat now?

David Taylor comes in with Penn State ideas and experience. John Smith was known for getting frustrated at the lack of technical excellence in his wrestlers even as he showed in his demeanor matside. We saw Smith's knowledge on display as he commented on mike at the Olympic Games. Pointing out options, missed opportunities and often two or three things the wrestlers could/should be doing. Somehow he was not getting this knowledge to his OSU wrestlers on the mat and it hurt the team.

What do we expect with David Taylor?

A Cael clone?

That hasn't really worked for those who wrestled under Dan Gable.

What changes do we expect to see on the mat now?

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

...John Smith was known for getting frustrated ...

A Cael clone?

I don't think anyone that wrestled under Gable could be called a Cael clone, or even a Gable clone.  However, between Brands, Zalesky, and Tom Ryan, the Gable proteges have done ok.

I would imagine that Taylor would do a lot of the same stuff Cael does.  He will likely have a lot more patience than Smith, as he has shown that he is successful working with youth level kids.  For M2, he has said he is somewhere in between his high school experience (almost no drilling during the season and just banging heads for 2+ hours) and PSU (lots of drilling and sparring, the drilling is probably very active).  I would think that he would be more Cael-like for the college studs he will have.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

1 hour ago, AgaveMaria said:

David Taylor comes in with Penn State ideas and experience. John Smith was known for getting frustrated at the lack of technical excellence in his wrestlers even as he showed in his demeanor matside. We saw Smith's knowledge on display as he commented on mike at the Olympic Games. Pointing out options, missed opportunities and often two or three things the wrestlers could/should be doing. Somehow he was not getting this knowledge to his OSU wrestlers on the mat and it hurt the team.

A Cael clone?

We have already seen that Taylor is not a Cael clone through the initial press conference. Just as his in front of the press demeanor differs from Sanderson's, I would expect that his matside demeanor will differ, as well.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

I know at M2 they spar a ton and drill backwards through positions, I would guess his style of coaching will not differ a ton from Johns in terms of the technical excellence, but I believe he will be more adapted to working on guys styles rather than molding them into his own.

3 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

We have already seen that Taylor is not a Cael clone through the initial press conference. Just as his in front of the press demeanor differs from Sanderson's, I would expect that his matside demeanor will differ, as well.

No chairs thrown?

• Bob 1

Posted (edited)

I think you'll see a better job of peaking and tapering for nationals.  Smith still seemed to be old school on this.  

Edited by ionel
  • Bob 1

4 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

I know at M2 they spar a ton and drill backwards through positions, I would guess his style of coaching will not differ a ton from Johns in terms of the technical excellence, but I believe he will be more adapted to working on guys styles rather than molding them into his own.

What do you mean by drill backwards through positions? I am intrigued.

• Bob 1

4 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

What do you mean by drill backwards through positions? I am intrigued.

they will start in on shots and then work backwards to their setup

5 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I don't typically take note of a puffiness factor of a person's face. But i am curious about what all you hens been clucking about 

🧙‍♂️

I have asked the same direct question, I.e. who's the drunk?, several times here, and I only get insinuations. 

• Bob 1

35 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Still trying to suss out what this entails

Thinking he means they work on finishes, then they work on penetration, then they work on set ups rather than the other way around. 

17 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

That's very encouraging news. OSU's boys have been stultifying for years. They need somebody to drill them until stuff comes naturally. Maybe they've been doing too much live wrestling in practice and not enough instruction. The coach's job is to mold his wrestlers, and I'd LOVE if Taylor could mold his new team into his spitting image. 

4 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Still trying to suss out what this entails

It's a neat concept. Guessing, but maybe the idea is you figure out the details of where you can actually score the points, and work backwards to find out how to get there. As opposed to taking a shot and not having clear direction on where to go. It's a bit of a confusing and philosophical concept to think about. I think I like it, but would need to ponder the concept for a long time about why to do it before I could commit to this approach in practice. Maybe someone has been to an M2 practice that can weigh in?

2 hours ago, CowboyYe2024 said:

174 is going to be loaded and Plott could be Keck

Hamiti Hanes and KOT at the same weight

Hamiti has to train with Plott, DT, Kyle Dake maybe and Carroll

Plott has the same resources. Watch how this works

That sounds like a great recipe for Hamiti to get beaten up every day. It could turn him into a beast of iron out there on the mat against guys his own size, or he might just turn into a "HEW" type guy. 

10 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

technically, the question is if they turn into a collar tie team quickly or slowly.

The sooner the better. Everybody should work from a collar tie.