Jump to content

NCAA champs who weren't state champs


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, ionel said:

Someone already got him and everyone knows about him.  I went with one no one else (even knownothing) would ever think of.  🙂

JB informed me.  Scrolled up and saw the chap from Wisconsin beat you to it.  But that's still a L' for you.  You're supposed to be the Uetake guy 

  • Haha 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

JB informed me.  Scrolled up and saw the chap from Wisconsin beat you to it.  But that's still a L' for you.  You're supposed to be the Uetake guy 

Uetake Uetake Uetake 

Guy might've beat me on the first but Uetake won 3 times to no HS so I beat him on accuacy.  😉

btw:  I am just a bit chapped that that man stole my response.  🤨

Edited by ionel
  • Haha 1
  • Stalling 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Bagration44 said:

Phil Davis. I believe placed 4th as a senior in PA 3A. NCAA Champ at PSU.

Already listed, along with every other NCAA Division I champ that did not win a PIAA title.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, lisa morales said:

Tom Scully was a 3x PA. state champ.

Tom never won PIAAs. They had a separate Pa Catholic championships back then. His younger brother Pat was IIRC the first Beth Cath PIAA champ.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Tom never won PIAAs. They had a separate Pa Catholic championships back then. His younger brother Pat was IIRC the first Beth Cath PIAA champ.

Thanks for that, Gimp.  I didn't think to include PA Catholic championships in my research.  Just looked at National Preps because that tourney is often time considered to be equivalent on a state title.

Question:  Did the PA Catholic championship feed into the National Prep tourney at that time?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Question:  Did the PA Catholic championship feed into the National Prep tourney at that time?

No. I'm not sure if some of those Catholic schools went to the Preps The Philly Catholic schools went to Preps for some years but don't know if they were in Pa Cath. But we didn't have qualifications back then. That's relatively recent (~20 years)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Baumgartner is the only jersey one I can think of…Tanelli was close 2nd and 3rd in HS and 3rd in college but can’t find any others 

Did Cassar ever win a state title? I thought he didn't qualify for state tournament or something like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Did Cassar ever win a state title? I thought he didn't qualify for state tournament or something like that.

I believe he was a 1x state placer / state champ in NJ

  • Bob 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Gus said:

I believe he was a 1x state placer / state champ in NJ

 

14 minutes ago, Jim L said:

1x qualifier IIRC, Same as NCAA

Thanks... I remembered an interview where Cassar said he couldn't even qualify for states when he wrestled in high school, but it looks like he qualified and won a title during his senior year

  • Bob 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wrestled in California...tons of folks fall into this category as there is only one division, like Derek Moore, who wrestled for Davis and won a NCAA title...I think he placed 4th as a HS senior...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, MJD said:

I wrestled in California...tons of folks fall into this category as there is only one division, like Derek Moore, who wrestled for Davis and won a NCAA title...I think he placed 4th as a HS senior...

There's also Jamill Kelly who I believe never was never a state or NCAA champion but won an Olympic medal. I think that's pretty rare in freestyle, but not 100% sure

  • Bob 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

There's also Jamill Kelly who I believe never was never a state or NCAA champion but won an Olympic medal. I think that's pretty rare in freestyle, but not 100% sure

That's right! I think he placed 4th at the Cali state tournament. I have to check that....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

There's also Jamill Kelly who I believe never was never a state or NCAA champion but won an Olympic medal. I think that's pretty rare in freestyle, but not 100% sure

Jamil also never was a AA in college

 

  • Bob 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Latest Rankings

  • College Commitments

    Colton Wade

    Sullivan County, Pennsylvania
    Class of 2025
    Committed to Clarion
    Projected Weight: 125

    Carson Neely

    Port Allegany, Pennsylvania
    Class of 2025
    Committed to Clarion
    Projected Weight: 285

    Christian Slack

    Wasatch via Snow College, Utah
    Class of 2024
    Committed to Utah Valley
    Projected Weight: 197

    Kaden Bennie

    Layton, Utah
    Class of 2024
    Committed to Utah Valley
    Projected Weight: 174

    Kasey Curtis

    North Sanpete via Snow College, Utah
    Class of 2024
    Committed to Utah Valley
    Projected Weight: 133
×
×
  • Create New...