NCAA champs who weren't state champs

1 minute ago, ionel said:

Someone already got him and everyone knows about him.  I went with one no one else (even knownothing) would ever think of.  🙂

JB informed me.  Scrolled up and saw the chap from Wisconsin beat you to it.  But that's still a L' for you.  You're supposed to be the Uetake guy 

• Haha 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

JB informed me.  Scrolled up and saw the chap from Wisconsin beat you to it.  But that's still a L' for you.  You're supposed to be the Uetake guy 

Uetake Uetake Uetake 

Guy might've beat me on the first but Uetake won 3 times to no HS so I beat him on accuacy.  😉

btw:  I am just a bit chapped that that man stole my response.  🤨

Edited by ionel
  • Haha 1
  • Stalling 1

10 hours ago, Bagration44 said:

Phil Davis. I believe placed 4th as a senior in PA 3A. NCAA Champ at PSU.

Already listed, along with every other NCAA Division I champ that did not win a PIAA title.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, lisa morales said:

Tom Scully was a 3x PA. state champ.

Tom never won PIAAs. They had a separate Pa Catholic championships back then. His younger brother Pat was IIRC the first Beth Cath PIAA champ.

32 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Tom never won PIAAs. They had a separate Pa Catholic championships back then. His younger brother Pat was IIRC the first Beth Cath PIAA champ.

Thanks for that, Gimp.  I didn't think to include PA Catholic championships in my research.  Just looked at National Preps because that tourney is often time considered to be equivalent on a state title.

Question:  Did the PA Catholic championship feed into the National Prep tourney at that time?

2 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Question:  Did the PA Catholic championship feed into the National Prep tourney at that time?

No. I'm not sure if some of those Catholic schools went to the Preps The Philly Catholic schools went to Preps for some years but don't know if they were in Pa Cath. But we didn't have qualifications back then. That's relatively recent (~20 years)

18 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Baumgartner is the only jersey one I can think of…Tanelli was close 2nd and 3rd in HS and 3rd in college but can’t find any others 

Did Cassar ever win a state title? I thought he didn't qualify for state tournament or something like that.

2 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Did Cassar ever win a state title? I thought he didn't qualify for state tournament or something like that.

I believe he was a 1x state placer / state champ in NJ

• Bob 1

18 minutes ago, Gus said:

I believe he was a 1x state placer / state champ in NJ

14 minutes ago, Jim L said:

1x qualifier IIRC, Same as NCAA

Thanks... I remembered an interview where Cassar said he couldn't even qualify for states when he wrestled in high school, but it looks like he qualified and won a title during his senior year

• Bob 1

I wrestled in California...tons of folks fall into this category as there is only one division, like Derek Moore, who wrestled for Davis and won a NCAA title...I think he placed 4th as a HS senior...

15 minutes ago, MJD said:

I wrestled in California...tons of folks fall into this category as there is only one division, like Derek Moore, who wrestled for Davis and won a NCAA title...I think he placed 4th as a HS senior...

There's also Jamill Kelly who I believe never was never a state or NCAA champion but won an Olympic medal. I think that's pretty rare in freestyle, but not 100% sure

• Bob 1

2 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

There's also Jamill Kelly who I believe never was never a state or NCAA champion but won an Olympic medal. I think that's pretty rare in freestyle, but not 100% sure

That's right! I think he placed 4th at the Cali state tournament. I have to check that....

6 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Jamil also never was a AA in college

• Bob 2