RBY GOFUNDME

38 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

My apologies for my part in assumptions as well.

Proverbial hatchet burial?

Absolutely brother! All good on my end either way. 

Now if we could win 6 Golds....

• Bob 1

Keep in mind that the way that many feel about this isn't unique to the US.

The Russian wrestling leaders have discussed how to prevent their athletes from representing other nations.  A suggestion was made to disallow any Russians who represent another nation from training on Russian soil.  This proposal was made by a higher-up last year, but I do not think it was enacted.

• Bob 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Crotalus said:

I don't care about the country stuff. But I have a general distaste for gofundmes. I don't know RBY's family's financial situation, but wasn't he bragging about a big NIL deal a few years ago? Is he out of money, or is this just a good opportunity to take advantage of people's generous nature?

Yes.  Here's a YouTube clip from his presser following his second title, in which we speculated on what it take for him to come back for his COVID year.

https://www.youtube.com/clip/UgkxDQyxEKoA_Uaqi3OzqXgBEnugHla2M9Kw

Edited by lu_alum

10 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Keep in mind that the way that many feel about this isn't unique to the US.

The Russian wrestling leaders have discussed how to prevent their athletes from representing other nations.  A suggestion was made to disallow any Russians who represent another nation from training on Russian soil.  This proposal was made by a higher-up last year, but I do not think it was enacted.

Taz was born in Dagestan, and now he's a World Champion for Bahrain. You know that has to eat them up. 

Wasn't he trained at the Tank's Club growing up? I feel like I read that last year. 

14 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

Yes.  Here's a YouTube clip from his presser following his second title, in which we speculated on what it take for him to come back for his COVID year.

https://www.youtube.com/clip/UgkxDQyxEKoA_Uaqi3OzqXgBEnugHla2M9Kw

Yeah, this seems like a strange move. Maybe he should have been more mindful about how he spent his NILions

14 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Yeah, this seems like a strange move. Maybe he should have been more mindful about how he spent his NILions

I know of individuals from my area who are doing very well financially, but still have no problem starting up a gofundme when travelling to a big tournament.  They also have no problem posting pictures of them living it up in a nice air bnb and grilling up some steaks after the wrestling is over.

53 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I know of individuals from my area who are doing very well financially, but still have no problem starting up a gofundme when travelling to a big tournament.  They also have no problem posting pictures of them living it up in a nice air bnb and grilling up some steaks after the wrestling is over.

yeah, those people exist. I always thought RBY was an upstanding dude so I don't want to jump to conclusions. We don't know the full story here after all

• Bob 2

15 hours ago, scourge165 said:

You do understand nobody is asking you to root for RBY over Lee, right?

Hell, nobody is asking you to do anything. You don't have to donate. That's kinda the driving force idea behind the word donation. Were it compulsory, it would not be a donation.

He's an American. He wanted to also be an Olympian. He knew he had a better chance to do so in Mexico. Why does that make people angry? And don't say it doesn't, it very clearly does. 

After the fall of the Soviet Union, where it felt we were in an existential battle for survival, cheering for only for USA athletes just is not the same for me. 

I love to see US guys win, but I don't feel like less of a patriot if I cheer for Austin Gomez over Zane.

• Bob 1

Posted (edited)

WOW, started this to allow anyone who wanted to contribute to do so.  Didn't want to start a sh*t storm and bring out some of the bias on this forum.

Didn't root for RBY over Lee.  I will support LEE no matter what.  USA and PA over anybody.

It just so happens that I am from PA (obviously) and currently live in Tucson.

I am willing to help any American Olympic wrestler get his family to Paris.

I have contributed to others in the past (namely - Coleman Scott (PA)).

Edited by PAFAN01
add PA
  • Bob 1

After the fall of the Soviet Union, where it felt we were in an existential battle for survival, cheering for only for USA athletes just is not the same for me. 
I love to see US guys win, but I don't feel like less of a patriot if I cheer for Austin Gomez over Zane.

Zane didn’t qualify, nor is he in Gomez’ weight class. Zain Retherford is the USA’s guy at 65kg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Coleman wore Red, White, and Blue - Stars & Stripes.
RBY not so much.

3 hours ago, lu_alum said:

Coleman wore Red, White, and Blue - Stars & Stripes.
RBY not so much.

Based on your previous statement "Maybe the PSU donors don't provide money in pesos?  Perhaps he should try selling Chiclets in Tijuana."  you are not only concerned about the color of singlets!!!!

• Brain 1
  • Haha 1
  • Duck 1

28 minutes ago, PAFAN01 said:

Based on your previous statement "Maybe the PSU donors don't provide money in pesos?  Perhaps he should try selling Chiclets in Tijuana."  you are not only concerned about the color of singlets!!!!

That's gonna leave a mark..  

Nothing at all wrong with this to help fund his family expenses to the Olympic Games.

They need some help, why not give it to them?

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

12 hours ago, AgaveMaria said:

Nothing at all wrong with this to help fund his family expenses to the Olympic Games.

They need some help, why not give it to them?

People are either ignorant, xenophobic, or a toxic combination of both.  Add it that keyboards don't typically fight back and a lot of folks get courageous.

• Fire 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

11 hours ago, nhs67 said:

People are either ignorant, xenophobic, or a toxic combination of both.  Add it that keyboards don't typically fight back and a lot of folks get courageous.

My thoughts exactly but I wanted to keep the post positive without accusations!!!!

• Fire 1

On 5/22/2024 at 3:21 PM, Caveira said:

And despite all the hysteria in here….. it has not been growing over the last few days.  

Someone gave $1,000 today. Great!!!!!!!

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

Looks like CKWC had very little issues raising $153k for 4 Olympians...

3 hours ago, PAFAN01 said:

Someone gave $1,000 today. Great!!!!!!!

You had me worried the 0 got stuck there for a second. 🤣🤣