World OG qualifier brackets are out...

7 minutes ago, D3 for LU said:

For all you Chamizo-philes out there... pull for Valiev to take this bout.

(Maybe Frank will get his Lucky Charms back!)

D3

tough way for Chamizo to go down...

1 minute ago, lu_alum said:

It's all tomorrow.  Weigh-ins around 8a (local), they wrestle at 4p (local).  Good chance for Zain to recover from cut.

Weigh-in 7:30. Repechage at 3p local.

• Bob 1

1 minute ago, lu_alum said:

Challenge lost!  Sorry to see Chamizo to bounced like that.

Yessir.

(There he goes... )

main-qimg-7dd2aaf3984cda66637f48f3c901a7

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, gromit said:

tough way for Chamizo to go down...

Ironically (or incidentally), he's out because of two other transplants like himself--one of whom (Rassadin) was also once a 57kg national teamer for his native country way back in the day. (Although it was 55kg for Chamizo.)

Edited by maligned

22 minutes ago, maligned said:

Weigh-in 7:30am local time (12:30am ET)

Alibegov: approximately 3:10pm local time (8:10am ET)

Kudiev: approximately 9am ET

Sujeet: approximately 10am ET

True 3rd match: approximately 11:20am ET

So Zain's first match is 7+ hours after weigh-ins, very nice

• Fire 1

Posted (edited)

Zain's path to qualification.  He needs to win 3 in a row to. get to the other third place finisher, and then win that final match.   A tough route.   Four watermelons to crush.

image.thumb.jpeg.b4aabb77eac51f039f2d8cead9cbb383.jpeg

Edited by SocraTease
  • Bob 1

2 hours ago, Spladle08 said:

Just got back . Was impressed to see the offensive dynamo Sujeet really open it up 😉 . But seriously tomorrow should be fun. Happy for Ochir

Ha, touché..you called that one. I was more suggesting it would be a better match than Kudiev, and that him struggling to score against Jalolov wasn't his identity. But I should have predicted he, like everyone, wouldn't score on Ochir. I was closer to guaging Ochir/Kudiev, so we'll call it even. 😉

• Fire 1

43 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

Zain's path to qualification.  He needs to win 3 in a row to. get to the other third place finisher, and then win that final match.   A tough route.   Four watermelons to crush.

He'll basically have to wrestle a match an hour for 4 hours. 

Alibeg is about Sacultan's level. Not a big threat. So I expect Zain wont be super exhausted from high-leverage situations going into Kudiev. I'd favor him there too.

I also think he'd be fine in the winner-take-all True 3rd with his opponent having wrestled recently too. 

But facing a fully rested Sujeet while coming off 12 recent minutes of wrestling feels concerning. I'd take Zain straight up, but facing any top 20 guy in that disadvantaged state will be a serious test.

• Bob 1

7 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

That guy Chamizo just beat has the largest noggin (and longest name) I have ever seen.

Bigger head than the late John Madden?  Different weight class I realize. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SocraTease said:

jrsgmuezyxx91.gif

Yepper... Zain gotta do it FOUR TIMES!

D3

Edited by D3 for LU
  • Bob 1

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Some folks seem to be worried by Lee's match against Zou, but there are a lot of positives to take away from that and perhaps better for him than easily teching his way through the tournament. He was getting worked early and was able to adjust mid-match to take the lead. And despite obviously being gassed, he wrestled smart and held on through the final flurry. He also has the best transitions to turns we have seen from a US wrestler in a very long time. I'm so used to watching our guys not even make half assed attempts to turn, and Lee is locking up leg laces and trap arm guts before his opponents even hit the mat. His ability to end matches quickly is a huge asset. If he can continue to improve his cardio and not get injured during training, he is absolutely a gold medal threat.

• Bob 2
  • Fire 1

14 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

Some folks seem to be worried by Lee's match against Zou, but there are a lot of positives to take away from that and perhaps better for him than easily teching his way through the tournament. He was getting worked early and was able to adjust mid-match to take the lead. And despite obviously being gassed, he wrestled smart and held on through the final flurry. He also has the best transitions to turns we have seen from a US wrestler in a very long time. I'm so used to watching our guys not even make half assed attempts to turn, and Lee is locking up leg laces and trap arm guts before his opponents even hit the mat. His ability to end matches quickly is a huge asset. If he can continue to improve his cardio and not get injured during training, he is absolutely a gold medal threat.

I agree,  some folks on here were saying, "this is a qualifier,  it may be different when he wrestles the big dogs"     The current WC is Steph Micic At the 2023 World Wrestling Championships,  Micic went 5-0 to win the gold medal at 57kg. To win the gold, he defeated three former world champions. Micic defeated 2018 and 2019 World/2020 Olympic 57kg gold medalist Zaur Uguev in the quarterfinals, the 2022 57kg champion Zelimkhan Abakarov in the semifinals, and the 2022 61kg champion Rei Higuchi in the finals.   I would bet on Spencer to beat Micic right now and am pretty confident he can beat the others if they are the world reps.  

• Fire 1

52 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

I agree,  some folks on here were saying, "this is a qualifier,  it may be different when he wrestles the big dogs"     The current WC is Steph Micic At the 2023 World Wrestling Championships,  Micic went 5-0 to win the gold medal at 57kg. To win the gold, he defeated three former world champions. Micic defeated 2018 and 2019 World/2020 Olympic 57kg gold medalist Zaur Uguev in the quarterfinals, the 2022 57kg champion Zelimkhan Abakarov in the semifinals, and the 2022 61kg champion Rei Higuchi in the finals.   I would bet on Spencer to beat Micic right now and am pretty confident he can beat the others if they are the world reps.  

I'm not betting on Micic to win ANY matches after making 57kg unless they move the weigh ins and 57 bracket to Serbia.

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crotalus said:

Who was the last one this good in transitioning to turns?  John Smith? 

Was Saunders good transitioning?  I can't remember.  Great on top though.  Didn't get enough takedowns.

Unlike Smith (mostly leg lace), Lee seems to have the ability to ace, guy, and trap arm gut at the world level.

• Stalling 1

I don't think 57 kg has a final boss the way 86 or 97 kg do. Spencer will need to beat the field, anyone of them can give him a tough match, just like Zou. I don't think there is some big step up in level, just more of them. 

• Bob 1